I can't believe nobody is talking about this! or Echoes of "Indoctrination" Claims

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I can't believe nobody is talking about this! or Echoes of "Indoctrination" Claims

http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

President Barack Obama to Make Historic Speech to America’s Students

C-SPAN and White House Web Site to Broadcast Speech Live

Please note speech scheduled one hour earlier to Noon Eastern Time

On September 8, 2009, history will be made. Will you be a part of it?

At 12:00 p.m., Eastern Time (ET), President Barack Obama will deliver a national address to the students of America. (Please note that this is a change from the originally scheduled time.) During this special address, the president will speak directly to the nation’s children and youth about persisting and succeeding in school. The president will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning.

The U.S. Department of Education encourages students of all ages, teachers, and administrators to participate in this historic moment by watching the president deliver the address, which will be broadcast live on the White House Web site (http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/) and on C-SPAN at 12:00 p.m., ET. We also encourage educators to use this moment to help students get focused and inspired to begin the new academic year. The Department of Education offers educators a menu of classroom activities—created by its teachers-in-residence, the Teaching Ambassador Fellows—to help engage students in the address and stimulate classroom discussions about the importance of education.

Lesson plans for this "event"

preK-6th - preK-6th "classroom activities"

7-12 - 7-12 "classroom activities"

I would add at least one question to the teachers list of questions...

"Why do you think it is important to question the President and to speak out when you disagree?"

Isn't he just going to come on and say kids should work hard, stay at school, get good grades and all that bidness? Let me know if there's subliminal messaging and your kids all leave school in tight marching formation to burn the local Republican office down though.

Most kids will probably see it as 20 minutes off proper lessons.

Isn't he just going to come on and say kids should work hard, stay at school, get good grades and all that bidness? Let me know if there's subliminal messaging and your kids all leave school in tight marching formation to burn the local Republican office down though.

Most kids will probably see it as 20 minutes off proper lessons.
Probably, however this is making the airwaves on talk radio as the second coming of the "Young Pioneers" of the Stalin regime...

There are interesting aspects. Decorating the room with Obama quotes before he comes on? Reading inspiring books of teh Obamas before he speaks to get the kids in the mood? After the speech making neat posters on how teh Obamas inspired you?

Putting out lesson plans for your own speech?

If he didn't want it to be politicized it might have been better received with representatives of both parties talking up education...

Probably, however this is making the airwaves on talk radio as the second coming of the "Young Pioneers" of the Stalin regime...

There are interesting aspects. Decorating the room with Obama quotes before he comes on? Reading inspiring books of teh Obamas before he speaks to get the kids in the mood? After the speech making neat posters on how teh Obamas inspired you?

If he didn't want it to be politicized it might have been better received with representatives of both parties talking up education...

yep....sounds like indoctrination...i have no problem if he wants to talk to students, but this massive hype does sound like the "young pioneers" or the hitler youth....

The lesson plan thing does sound a bit weird. On saying that, i have little doubt that teachers here would routinely ignore it.

If Gordon Browns decided to do something similar, his broadcast, in which he would undoubtedly attempt to smile, would likely traumatise an entire generation.

just another step in the demoralizing of America. the third generation to be educated under a marxist plan of warping the reality of American freedom. The more kids that can't understand the constitution and are brought up to believe that the government gives them their rights, the easier it is to distort the ideology of individual liberty.

Republicans are bat-shit fucking crazy. Completely fucking bonkers. They're a god-damned disgrace. Seriously.

It takes a special kind of crazy to turn a "hey kids, set goals and work hard to achieve them" Presidential speech to Stalinist indoctrination of the American youth.

It's sad, sad, sad.

Republicans are bat-shit fucking crazy. Completely fucking bonkers. They're a god-damned disgrace. Seriously.

It takes a special kind of crazy to turn a "hey kids, set goals and work hard to achieve them" Presidential speech to Stalinist indoctrination of the American youth.

It's sad, sad, sad.
When has a Republican president ever done this shit? Or any president?

When has a Republican president ever done this shit? Or any president?

Other than George Herbert Walker Bush, October 1, 1991 live on TV from an American History classroom at Deal Junior High, in the Tenleytown neighborhood of upper Northwest Washington? I'm not sure.

Other than George Herbert Walker Bush, October 1, 1991 live on TV from an American History classroom at Deal Junior High, in the Tenleytown neighborhood of upper Northwest Washington? I'm not sure.
Did he publish a lesson plan? Were there supposed to be his quotes posted on the walls of the classroom and books of his read to get the kids into a receptive mood? Were they supposed to start talking about why it is important to listen to the President? Were there lesson plans given to them that asked them to make posters on how Bush inspired them?

The answer to each is "no". You, sir, are reaching.

Although, here is the speech that HW Bush gave...

http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/research/public_papers.php?id=3450&year=1991&month=10

Massive panic and posturing by the right over what will turn out to be virtually nothing.
You can hear the fear in their posts.

Massive panic and posturing by the right over what will turn out to be virtually nothing.
You can hear the fear in their posts.
Ugh... :shakes head:

(I need a good face palm "smiley").

Seriously, other than the appearance it makes because of the things I listed I don't really care. I'll just watch it and go over it with my kids, just like I would with a Bush speech.

Although I do think that because it is politicized, there are many who will simply not send their kids to school on Tuesday. You can note the differences as Bush didn't attempt to have the teachers drill the kids on the importance of his speech, give out lesson plans, expect his own quotes to be put up in the classroom, etc. there really wasn't much issue with his speech because he didn't make it about Bush in those ways.

In other words I don't think it is the speech people are upset over.

Ugh... :shakes head:

(I need a good face palm "smiley").

hows this?
facepalm1.jpg

Righties getting all uptight about what sounds like essentially a stay in school type of pep rally by the president of the USA.

Yeah you don't want your child to attend what is pretty much an education pep rally.
Let by our countrys top leader? Sheesh.
Your hatred of Obama is blinding you to what this its all about.

Damo I expect this from the others but not you.
Cut back on the talk radio dude.

Righties getting all uptight about what sounds like essentially a stay in school type of pep rally by the president of the USA.

Yeah you don't want your child to attend what is pretty much an education pep rally.
Let by our countrys top leader? Sheesh.
Your hatred of Obama is blinding you to what this its all about.

Damo I expect this from the others but not you.
Cut back on the talk radio dude.
Again, I don't think it is the speech that has some people upset.

Back