I plan on buying new software for the forum in the near future....

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I do not plan on remaining with vBulletin (though it is still an option) the latest version of the software is less capable of self modification (near impossible really) and we'd lose some of our cool things that I want to keep, and their server version where they host the board doesn't seem like something that I want as they don't seem to offer better options than I already utilize and you are just leasing the software on a month by month basis.

Anyway. I do like the versions that are paid for above the open source versions like phpBB though that is very capable of modifications that I can create, php is a skill that I don't seem to have much time to exercise nowadays.

If any of you are on some other forums and enjoy their setups, tell me what software they use.

My best guess is I'll be going with Xenforo or something like that, and as I said it is always an option to stick with vBulletin, though we'd lose some features that I like. I have not found "thanks/groans" for example. There is a thank you feature in there, but the groans don't seem to be available. I may go that route anyway as groans really do not add much value to the site, but they are sometimes fun.

Xenforo is currently the most likely software I'll get for the forum.

Nobody has an opinion on this? Well dang. The most opinionated people on the interwebs are silent. :D

I do not plan on remaining with vBulletin (though it is still an option) the latest version of the software is less capable of self modification (near impossible really) and we'd lose some of our cool things that I want to keep, and their server version where they host the board doesn't seem like something that I want as they don't seem to offer better options than I already utilize and you are just leasing the software on a month by month basis.

Anyway. I do like the versions that are paid for above the open source versions like phpBB though that is very capable of modifications that I can create, php is a skill that I don't seem to have much time to exercise nowadays.

If any of you are on some other forums and enjoy their setups, tell me what software they use.

My best guess is I'll be going with Xenforo or something like that, and as I said it is always an option to stick with vBulletin, though we'd lose some features that I like. I have not found "thanks/groans" for example. There is a thank you feature in there, but the groans don't seem to be available. I may go that route anyway as groans really do not add much value to the site, but they are sometimes fun.

Oh yes I keep hearing about phpBB.

As to Xenforo, that's the first time I've heard about it. Seems like it's based on PHP too. I will read more about it later and give you my opinion.

Nobody has an opinion on this? Well dang. The most opinionated people on the interwebs are silent. :D

Notifications for likes and dislikes are the least favorite options. I really don't need to be notified and it is confusing to have it together with actual replies to your posts.

Notifications for likes and dislikes are the least favorite options. I really don't need to be notified and it is confusing to have it together with actual replies to your posts.

I hear you. It can be especially annoying if someone decides to just "groan" every post of yours so your entire CP is full of groans and you get no feedback from the people who you want to hear from. Also bad are the quote notifiers if someone just quotes all your posts to troll and you can't see the posts of folks that quoted you earlier as it only shows the last 10...

This is exactly the type of feedback I need. What would you like to see added or subtracted?

I hear you. It can be especially annoying if someone decides to just "groan" every post of yours so your entire CP is full of groans and you get no feedback from the people who you want to hear from. Also bad are the quote notifiers if someone just quotes all your posts to troll and you can't see the posts of folks that quoted you earlier as it only shows the last 10...

Exactly, people use the like/dislike function to annoy others. And you can have someone on ignore and get 5 notifications they replied to your post every day.

Xenforo has a cool multiple emotive responses. From Thumbs up to Angry face emoticons and a few in between. Hopefully there is an option to reduce the notifications or even turn them off on our own CPs. I'll ask about it on their forum.

You can turn off the notifications entirely. I am looking to see if someone you have on ignore can use the feature on your posts. It wouldn't be bad if you could ignore someone and not get notified of their stuff at all.

Go with something that I won't be able to figure out, Damo.
I'm a Luddite so that shouldn't be hard.
The new platform can be my "nicotine patch" for the internet forum habit.

Xenforo would definitely be my recommendation, though I should add that I'm recommending it based on my like of it, not on a price/performance analysis. I used to post in a Xenforo board before posting here. I definitely didn't leave because of the software, I left because of the moderators, one of which definitely had it in for me and most of the rest seemed perfectly fine with that.

For anyone who'd like to see Xenforo being used for a political forum, this is the old forum I used to post in:

https://debatepolitics.com/

Xenforo would definitely be my recommendation, though I should add that I'm recommending it based on my like of it, not on a price/performance analysis. I used to post in a Xenforo board before posting here. I definitely didn't leave because of the software, I left because of the moderators, one of which definitely had it in for me and most of the rest seemed perfectly fine with that.

For anyone who'd like to see Xenforo being used for a political forum, this is the old forum I used to post in:

https://debatepolitics.com/

The "moderators" at debatepolitics had it in for everyone. The delighted in suspending or warning as much as possible. You are much better off being gone from there.

As for the problem Damo is dealing with: I am about as tech savvy as a brick. Just cannot help with that.

Back