I plan on buying new software for the forum in the near future....

Hello Doc Dutch,

That depends on how much time vs how much money one has.

There would be no copyright concerns if someone wanted to create their own SW from scratch. All the tools are readily available. And if it worked out nicely then it could be protected and offered for sale itself.

That thing about the wheel?

Reinvention is one thing. Improvement is another. We have come a long way from ancient wheels to what we have today. Such as the utilization of alloy metals and bearings.

All I know is that it'd be easier for me to buy a package. The last computer language I wrote was BASIC. LOL

I do not plan on remaining with vBulletin (though it is still an option) the latest version of the software is less capable of self modification (near impossible really) and we'd lose some of our cool things that I want to keep, and their server version where they host the board doesn't seem like something that I want as they don't seem to offer better options than I already utilize and you are just leasing the software on a month by month basis.

Anyway. I do like the versions that are paid for above the open source versions like phpBB though that is very capable of modifications that I can create, php is a skill that I don't seem to have much time to exercise nowadays.

If any of you are on some other forums and enjoy their setups, tell me what software they use.

My best guess is I'll be going with Xenforo or something like that, and as I said it is always an option to stick with vBulletin, though we'd lose some features that I like. I have not found "thanks/groans" for example. There is a thank you feature in there, but the groans don't seem to be available. I may go that route anyway as groans really do not add much value to the site, but they are sometimes fun.

Xenforo is currently the most likely software I'll get for the forum.

It is your forum. Do what is best for you.

Hi! I'm Legion's balless weiner. Can you help me find my balls?
7fgeul.gif
Ask Damo. AFAIK, he still has them on his desk. Do you want a picture? LOL

I do not plan on remaining with vBulletin (though it is still an option) the latest version of the software is less capable of self modification (near impossible really) and we'd lose some of our cool things that I want to keep, and their server version where they host the board doesn't seem like something that I want as they don't seem to offer better options than I already utilize and you are just leasing the software on a month by month basis.

Anyway. I do like the versions that are paid for above the open source versions like phpBB though that is very capable of modifications that I can create, php is a skill that I don't seem to have much time to exercise nowadays.

If any of you are on some other forums and enjoy their setups, tell me what software they use.

My best guess is I'll be going with Xenforo or something like that, and as I said it is always an option to stick with vBulletin, though we'd lose some features that I like. I have not found "thanks/groans" for example. There is a thank you feature in there, but the groans don't seem to be available. I may go that route anyway as groans really do not add much value to the site, but they are sometimes fun.

I've been on a couple of forums that use Invision Community

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/

Takes a little getting used to, but it's pretty good.

Xenforo is better though, I think.

Aw fuck! I got banned the last time I fussed (and cussed) at an admin for switching to Xenforo.

Ofc, he was a dick. The majority of people liked the VBulletin better. He didn't listen to anyone and switched anyways, probably lost 40% just like that.

I'm making my 1 vote for sticking with VBulletin known.

I know what's his face will always stick with VBulletin. He don't give a fuck!

Yeah, I can't post his handle here. It is what it is. :dunno:

If you don't have to upgrade the Vbulletin software, that is best.

Every forum I've seen that switched..it was always better the old way.

Some of the largest on the internet.

4chan, for example.

Last edited:
Hello Doc Dutch,

That depends on how much time vs how much money one has.

There would be no copyright concerns if someone wanted to create their own SW from scratch. All the tools are readily available. And if it worked out nicely then it could be protected and offered for sale itself.

That thing about the wheel?

Reinvention is one thing. Improvement is another. We have come a long way from ancient wheels to what we have today.. Such as the utilization of alloy metals and bearings.

Nope. The wheel is still round.

Have you looked at Vanilla Forums and MyBB?

Last edited:
You can turn off the notifications entirely. I am looking to see if someone you have on ignore can use the feature on your posts. It wouldn't be bad if you could ignore someone and not get notified of their stuff at all.

Spend a day at debate politics or USMB to see Xenoforo in action. You are not notified if someone on ignore posts to a subscribed thread. The real change is how well it handles media and web links.

Back