I plan on buying new software for the forum in the near future....

Agree with the notifications of thanks/groans. It's pointless. Wish there was a way to keep ppl you have on ignore from filling up your "Who quoted you" notifications with their unseen and unwanted replies to your posts. Yakuda and Into the Night and goat are/were good for messing that function up.

Into the night and his other socks constantly spam the forum. Six new quotes and all of them will be him. Agree on notifications from blocked posters.

Into the night and his other socks constantly spam the forum. Six new quotes and all of them will be him. Agree on notifications from blocked posters.

It ruins the experience when your notifications are mostly from some idiot you have on ignore, making you miss replies that you want to read and respond to.

It ruins the experience when your notifications are mostly from some idiot you have on ignore, making you miss replies that you want to read and respond to.

Only ten quote notices does not really work for me either, but that could be changed at any time, it is a choice made by Damo.

I do not plan on remaining with vBulletin (though it is still an option) the latest version of the software is less capable of self modification (near impossible really) and we'd lose some of our cool things that I want to keep, and their server version where they host the board doesn't seem like something that I want as they don't seem to offer better options than I already utilize and you are just leasing the software on a month by month basis.

Anyway. I do like the versions that are paid for above the open source versions like phpBB though that is very capable of modifications that I can create, php is a skill that I don't seem to have much time to exercise nowadays.

If any of you are on some other forums and enjoy their setups, tell me what software they use.

My best guess is I'll be going with Xenforo or something like that, and as I said it is always an option to stick with vBulletin, though we'd lose some features that I like. I have not found "thanks/groans" for example. There is a thank you feature in there, but the groans don't seem to be available. I may go that route anyway as groans really do not add much value to the site, but they are sometimes fun.

Xenforo is currently the most likely software I'll get for the forum.

Xenforo is fine if you want to spend all your time troubleshooting.

I dont think what is the best matters much at this point, what does is which provider is likely to most resist the cancelling of dissident sites such as this. JPP will be eliminated, it is the timeline that is in question.

There are only 2 members that groan others comments here in this forum- with any regularity!

Earl, Expressway, and one of EARL's socks- Serendipity!

I think it is very entertaining to know that my comments must be hitting them where it hurts the most! :laugh:

Last edited:
Hello Damocles,

I do not plan on remaining with vBulletin (though it is still an option) the latest version of the software is less capable of self modification (near impossible really) and we'd lose some of our cool things that I want to keep, and their server version where they host the board doesn't seem like something that I want as they don't seem to offer better options than I already utilize and you are just leasing the software on a month by month basis.

Anyway. I do like the versions that are paid for above the open source versions like phpBB though that is very capable of modifications that I can create, php is a skill that I don't seem to have much time to exercise nowadays.

If any of you are on some other forums and enjoy their setups, tell me what software they use.

My best guess is I'll be going with Xenforo or something like that, and as I said it is always an option to stick with vBulletin, though we'd lose some features that I like. I have not found "thanks/groans" for example. There is a thank you feature in there, but the groans don't seem to be available. I may go that route anyway as groans really do not add much value to the site, but they are sometimes fun.

Xenforo is currently the most likely software I'll get for the forum.

Thanks again for all you do, Damo.

I have no use for groans.

Wouldn't miss that feature at all.

I do like the friends feature.

The "moderators" at debatepolitics had it in for everyone. The delighted in suspending or warning as much as possible. You are much better off being gone from there.

As for the problem Damo is dealing with: I am about as tech savvy as a brick. Just cannot help with that.
I’m right there with you, technically illiterate.

One of my main concerns is privacy.

I do not wish for my email address to fall into the hands of marketers.

You act like you only have one. :)

I have a couple of "junk email" addresses to hand out to those who ask.

Do you give out your real birthday too? LOL

I usually pick out something fun like August 8, 1974 (Nixon resigns) or August 6, 1945 (Remember Pearl Harbor!)

I dont think what is the best matters much at this point, what does is which provider is likely to most resist the cancelling of dissident sites such as this. JPP will be eliminated, it is the timeline that is in question.

We'll all be fine!

You? You will probably end up cutting your own dick off with a power tool or something in the near future.

I am surprised you don't just write your own SW, Damo.

But I guess that's a whole learning curve in itself, and rather time-consuming.

I am surprised you don't just write your own SW, Damo.

But I guess that's a whole learning curve in itself, and rather time-consuming.
It'd be reinventing the wheel....plus there might be copyright issues.

Easier just to buy a nice software package.

Hello Doc Dutch,

It'd be reinventing the wheel....plus there might be copyright issues.

Easier just to buy a nice software package.

That depends on how much time vs how much money one has.

There would be no copyright concerns if someone wanted to create their own SW from scratch. All the tools are readily available. And if it worked out nicely then it could be protected and offered for sale itself.

That thing about the wheel?

Reinvention is one thing. Improvement is another. We have come a long way from ancient wheels to what we have today. Such as the utilization of alloy metals and bearings.

Back