I was arrested at lunch..

I was told I was lucky by the officer because he could have taken me to Jail as it technically is a crime. I would have had seen a judge in the morning and post bond to get out!

I don't get this locking people up for traffic (non-DUI) matters. Where I am police have the power to arrest anyone on reasonable suspicion for any offence being committed, about to committed or having been committed (no warrant needed and it applies to all offences) but if a cop arrested someone for this the cop would have his or her arse kicked by the boss. We issue infringement notices and sometimes report and get a summons issued but this routine locking up is bullshit.

I don't get this locking people up for traffic (non-DUI) matters. Where I am police have the power to arrest anyone on reasonable suspicion for any offence being committed, about to committed or having been committed (no warrant needed and it applies to all offences) but if a cop arrested someone for this the cop would have his or her arse kicked by the boss. We issue infringement notices and sometimes report and get a summons issued but this routine locking up is bullshit.

I think you are correct. He had the discretion to arrest, but didn't. ;) I think he too would have gotten his ass kicked.

You are incorrect about your legal analysis... Her in florida we have a class of violation or infraction that falls below criminal, it is called an infration. It is not punishable by jail, but only a fine and a possable DL suspinson.

The Crime I was cited for is punishable by up to 60 days in Jail. Do you think it is a proper expendature of your tax dollars to prosecute me for this?

60 frigging days???? Are you living in Nazi Germany???? :eek:

Me too...most if not all cops schedule their court appearance dates on their days off for the big OT check...Jarod is losing it big time in this silly argument!:cof1:

You get to schedule your appearances? We get told when we're going to be there and if we just finished night shift at 0730 and have to be at court at 1000 then we get told "tough shit".

I think you are correct. He had the discretion to arrest, but didn't. ;) I think he too would have gotten his ass kicked.

But an arrest for this??? Heck I just don't get it, it's not a serious offence, well it's not for me I mean. Sheesh I'd just get him to get his licence changed and zip around and see him to make sure he'd done it.

I find it very funny how all of these small government conservatives are all for the Government having the power over individuals based on a glitch in the Drivers Liscense law.

Now, I do not know FL law and I do realize my following example is not exactly the same...

But I got a speeding ticket a couple years ago. I did not have my insurance card with me. Two tickets... one for speeding, one for no insurance.

Day of court... walked in... showed proof of insurance. Dropped. Plea deal on speeding ticket. Done. Court costs were for the speeding ticket. Done.

If it is not that simple in the case of corrective lenses, then ok, he should make an issue of the LAW. But again, the cop did his job. Otherwise what is the point of having restricted licenses at all?

Yes, and cops can also give everyone tickets with hanging ornaments but they don't. If he had told him he had the surgery the nice thing to do would have been to give him a warning and tell him ot have his DL corrected.

The cop you ran into is a d!ck too. You can verify if someone has insurance by a simple fcking phone call.

Yes, and cops can also give everyone tickets with hanging ornaments but they don't. If he had told him he had the surgery the nice thing to do would have been to give him a warning and tell him ot have his DL corrected.

The cop you ran into is a d!ck too. You can verify if someone has insurance by a simple fcking phone call.

Yes, I am aware they can show leniency. But to get pissed when they do not is silly. If Jarod is mad at the law, then fine. But to act like the cop did anything wrong is ridiculous. Is the cop supposed to take everyones word for it? If so, then what is the point of even restricting someones license?

Also, as US mentioned, they are not qualified to give eye exams... not to mention it is not part of their jobs.

In my case, yes, he could have made a phone call... but again that is not his job. Also, had I not gone in to plea bargain on the speeding ticket, I could have included proof of insurance when mailing in the check for the speeding ticket.

The officers job is to protect and serve, how did he do either by citing me for a crime?

If your eyesight is bad enough for your licence to require it, then allowing you to drive without corrective lenses is a hazard.

You had surgery. But without some sort of proof, the officer shouldn't have taken your word for it.

On this board we ask for proof if someone tries to make a claim, and yet the policeman was supposed to accept your word that you had had surgery?

Its a pain in the ass. But its not an outrageous thing to have happen.

If your eyesight is bad enough for your licence to require it, then allowing you to drive without corrective lenses is a hazard.

You had surgery. But without some sort of proof, the officer shouldn't have taken your word for it.

On this board we ask for proof if someone tries to make a claim, and yet the policeman was supposed to accept your word that you had had surgery?

Ok, Sir. What does that sign say? Ok, that's right. I'll let you move on, but please stop in and get your license updated. Have a nice day.

Stupid doughnut eating pig. (pass that on, too.)

Damn dude I like you more with each post.

The best response to this officer would have been to go " Oh my god I never even thought about that when I got my eyes fixed" , How would I go about fixing this in your opinion?" He probably would have told you to go to the DMV get a new eye test and have a nice day.

Back