Insult-free week

Hello evince,

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!​

And the problem with that is?

There are 3 responses to trolling.

1. Ignore them by using the site feature.

2. Ignore them by not taking the bait, not responding.

3. Take the bait, mix it up with them, cause them to post way more garbage than if nobody took their bait in the first place.

Perhaps you are over-estimating the importance of this place? At best there are maybe 50 people here besides the bots? This is not representative of the nation. The nation is not paying any attention to this chat room. This place is mostly for entertainment. It really doesn't matter at all if something said here goes unchallenged.

They are not 'the enemy.' They are Americans who are so messed up in the head that they can't be civil. They frequently believe most of the propaganda which basically causes them to hate you for disagreeing with them. They don't really know any better. They are angry and they blame you. They listen to hate radio and read tabloids. In many cases they are anti-social and have few real friends. Any people they associate with all agree with them or don't challenge them. They want to think they are the majority, the main stream, and it angers them tremendously to be told they are not. They are afraid. Very fearful. They are afraid of people who are not like them. They see themselves as part of the dominant class and they see that slipping away. Very afraid, hurt, angry, and looking to unload all their frustration on you. Which can't be done because the things they believe in are not real. But that doesn't matter. They want to try to unload all that grief on you. All of that is pent up and ready to be unleashed on anyone who responds to their trolling.

And you step up and take the bait.

They are not going to change, and it is not possible for them to ever 'feel better' for unloading on you because their problems are so complex it is not possible for them to easily change. You will certainly not be able to change them by mixing it up on their level. All that does is confirm to them that you are some 'horrible person,' a representative of what they hate. Actually, all that happens is you make them even angrier by responding. And the more you try to make your case, the more they hate you. There is no telling them off once and for all. It just goes on and on. There is no point.

That is why I ask: "What is the point?"

There IS no point.

It is OK to let their words stand unchallenged. Actually, their words don't stand at all. No words stand around here. Everything gets scrolled off the page rather quickly.

In this case, ignoring them (they are not 'the enemy' - they are trolls) is EXACTLY how you 'win.'

Then what happens?

If nobody takes their bait, there is no flame war. Just somebody saying something rude which is properly ignored and scrolls off the page. People who are interested in ideas (great minds) and current events (average minds) don't concern themselves with other people (lessor minds.)

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!​

You paint with a broad brush and make sweeping generalizations.

Sorry, nippy. There are no "Canceled.___" posts formerly known as Rebel, or any "Rebel" posts under that name. Can you put your obsession to rest now?

Btw, you're not going to make it two hours without insults let alone a week. Just sayin'.

Prove your claim.

Btw dope, if someone changes their name that name is no longer in the member list.

I could care less... You gonna play the stupid game? Lemme guess, you won't post all week....

Prove your claim.

Btw dope, if someone changes their name that name is no longer in the member list.

I could care less... You gonna play the stupid game? Lemme guess, you won't post all week....

I already went through all the "Canceled____" names and there is no Rebel. Look at them yourself, I'm not going to spoon-feed the info to you.

I already went through all the "Canceled____" names and there is no Rebel. Look at them yourself, I'm not going to spoon-feed the info to you.

Now look and see if you can find "Van Helsing". :D

evil-to-other-cats2.gif

In honor of our founding fathers and our fight for independence, I'd like to propose an "insult-free" week for the board starting this coming Monday.

Naturally, not everyone will participate, but I'd urge my fellow posters here to really try it - take the high road, and win debates with better & more persuasive arguments. Insults are the refuge of the weak.

Our national discourse HAS to improve; I have never seen it so bad. Let's do our part here on JPP to improve the climate.
Thing...our national discourse is fine. Kumbaya does not make for must see TV and much of that vitriol is created by and for tv.

I mean be honest how often do you see such vitriol other than cable news, right wing radio and anonymous message boards?

No, racist.

You lied, racist.

On January 8, 2011, U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and eighteen others were shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tucson_shooting

May 19, 2011:

She didn't lie, Y O U jumped the gun. The experiment was on USMB. You owe evince an apology. :D

go to US messageboards

the thread will be titled The civility experiment

my name there was truthmatters

Prove you did. And don't forget, if one changes their name it no longer shows up in the member list.

And didn't Onceler claim Rebel and Dixie were the same, eg, socks?

It is so funny how you interject yourself into other people's stuff.

Funny, you're saying Onceler lied that there is a member named Rebel....

Now look and see if you can find "Van Helsing". :D

evil-to-other-cats2.gif

<yawn> Van Helsing appeared within the time period that the forum crashed and lost almost 15 months' worth of posts... mid 2014 until late 2015.

Yurtsie's comment about Thing1 happened in 2012. You're slacking, try harder, be better. :)

07-13-2012, 11:20 AM #3 | Top

Onceler
user-offline.png
High Level of Addiction

icon1.png

My ignore list:

Rebel

Back