Is Christian culture compatabel with Western Culture....

We had plenty of religious paintings, art and architecture and science before 1 A.D. It's just that the paintings and architecture were dedicated to different gods and goddesses, not the Christian God.

Correlation doesn't indicate causation.

Here's a list of Christian scientists prior to the 1800's. Where were the pagan scientists? Compare the number of Christian scientists from the same era to any other religion or region.

And many if not most weren't just self identified Christians: many of them were theologians on the side.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

Here's a list of Christian scientists prior to the 1800's. Where were the pagan scientists? Compare the number of Christian scientists from the same era to any other religion or region.

And many if not most were just self identified Christians: many of them were theologians on the side.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

LOL. They also believed in talking snakes and a sky daddy who got an underage girl pregnant with a zombie.

Was the Crusade launched against the Muslims in Spain, and in what sense did it have anything to do with it?

obviously not if as I said, they began talking about the crusade right after they threw the last Muslims out of Europe......you're new to this whole arguing thing, aren't you......

I learned that the Muslims who invaded Spain did so at the express invitation of a faction of the warring Visigoths who needed help against their rivals in an internecine squabble.

that's nice......I learned that gold is heavier than most other minerals and can be panned out of stream beds......

And I've now looked it up. My memory has not been destroyed by senility. The Berber Tariq, crossed into Spain in 715, together with small Roman forces, and defeated the Visigoths. From that time on Southern Spain was Muslim, and by 732 the Muslims were fighting in France. The first Crusade was launched in 1095.

and the Caliphate of Córdoba, fell apart in 1031, splitting into a number of smaller territories.....it took another forty years to retake the last of them........Gibraltar was actually not taken from the Moors until 1309....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Gibraltar

not to mention things like gravity, and kinetic energy, blood circulation, mathematics, astonomy, chemistry......

Good one lol!

They literally gave us modern science. It wasn't till Darwin came along that it became fashionable to turn science against faith.

And now the faithless are trying to convince us western civilization is incompatible with Christianity.

That takes chutzpah.

Good one lol! They literally gave us modern science. It wasn't till Darwin came along that it became fashionable to turn science against faith. And now the faithless are trying to convince us western civilization is incompatible with Christianity. That takes chutzpah.

It wasn't until the eighteenth century that it was relatively safe to admit that you had doubts about Christianity, lol.

I also seem to recall that quire a few men of science were persecuted by the Christian church as "witches", heretics, etc.

It wasn't until the eighteenth century that it was relatively safe to admit that you had doubts about Christianity, lol.

I also seem to recall that quire a few men of science were persecuted by the Christian church as "witches", heretics, etc.

why would you think its safe......the average person is still going to know you're an idiot if you admit to being an atheist.......

obviously not if as I said, they began talking about the crusade right after they threw the last Muslims out of Europe......you're new to this whole arguing thing, aren't you......

No, they didn't start talking about a crusade until the 1090's. They were far too weak, and there was no money in it.

The Church has persecuted or opposed almost every great scientist of the last 500 years.

The list of those who earned the wrath of the Church reads like a Who's Who of Science: Copernicus, Bruno, Galileo, Descartes, Newton, Halley, Darwin, Hubble, even Bertrand Russell.

The Church has also been on the wrong side of the social sciences for over 1,500 years, actively promoting slavery, anti-Semitism, the torture and murder of women as witches, sexual repression, censorship and the Inquisition, Crusades and other aggressive wars, and capital punishment for misdemeanors.

This has given rise to a Christian field called apologetics, which attempts to defend the Church's errors, even claiming that science and Christianity are compatible friends, not enemies. But the atrocities and scientific errors were too profound, and stretched on for too many millennia, to be defended in any reasonable manner.

Most Christians will deny it, but there is a long tradition of warfare between science and Christianity.

The Absolute Truth that the Church proclaimed a mere 500 years ago included the following beliefs:

The earth was flat, in accordance with its many descriptions in the Bible. Catholic bishops warned Columbus that he would fall off the edge of the earth for his lack of faith.

The earth was also the center of the universe, and the sun and planets rotated around it, fixed in crystal spheres.

Comets were not celestial bodies obeying the laws of physics; they were fireballs thrown in anger from the right hand of God, and they were messengers of doom and despair.

The ordinary events of nature were not caused by routine laws of nature, like physics or chemistry. Instead, they were the result of magic, miracles, and angels or demons who actively caused and intervened in ordinary events.

Both disease and insanity were either a punishment of God or a possession by devils, and using modern medicine to thwart the will of God was a sin. When Dr. Zabdiel Boylston first inoculated his own son against smallpox in 1721, the Church immediately attacked him; they claimed that injecting someone with a weakened strain of smallpox was "poisoning," and that it was blasphemy "to infect a family in the morning with smallpox and to pray to God in the evening against the disease."

Lightning was also considered a punishment of sinners by God; when Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod, Christians bitterly assailed him for "robbing God of his judgment".

Bad weather and ferocious storms that ruined crops and killed people were supposed to be the result of Satan's demons stirring trouble. These demons were supposed to be frightened off by the ringing of loud bells; that is why churches traditionally have bells in their steeples.

The European forests were supposed to be filled with witches, gremlins, fairies, leprechauns, dwarfs, ogres, incubi, succubi, and spirits of the dead. They were thought to range from friendly and mischievous to violent and dangerous, and they were blamed or credited for much unexplained phenomena. The Church, from the Pope on down, blessed various holy relics and prayers that could be used to ward off these creatures.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-sciencechristianity.htm

No, they didn't start talking about a crusade until the 1090's. They were far too weak, and there was no money in it.

twenty years, as I said.....about as far in their past as Bill Clinton is to us......I wish his wife was irrelevant to us......

Back