Is Christian culture compatabel with Western Culture....

If you read the Sermon on the Mount and go on to read a history of the Crusades organised by 'Christendom', I think you begin to be aware of certain contradictions. Christians are as Christians do.

and if you study history you are soon aware that the crusades had very little to do with Christianity and a whole lot to do with money and power......

Of course, we'd have a culture lol. But would it be like? No Da Vinci' Last Supper. No Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel and innumerable other works of art and architecture. Contributions by Christian scientists like Newton are too numerous to list.

There would be no Christendom, in fact.

Is Christianity compatible with western culture?....that's a very silly question.

We had plenty of religious paintings, art and architecture and science before 1 A.D. It's just that the paintings and architecture were dedicated to different gods and goddesses, not the Christian God.

Correlation doesn't indicate causation.

That was long, long since. It was about the possessions of Byzantium in Asia, the European capital of which Crusaders were themselves to attack and loot later.

from the first crusade?.......no it wasn't......it was around the time that they finished mopping up the last Muslims invaders on the European continent that people started talking about freeing the Levant......

I learned that the Muslims who invaded Spain did so at the express invitation of a faction of the warring Visigoths who needed help against their rivals in an internecine squabble.

Was the Crusade launched against the Muslims in Spain, and in what sense did it have anything to do with it?

And I've now looked it up. My memory has not been destroyed by senility. The Berber Tariq, crossed into Spain in 715, together with small Roman forces, and defeated the Visigoths. From that time on Southern Spain was Muslim, and by 732 the Muslims were fighting in France. The first Crusade was launched in 1095.

Back