Is it moral to avoid taxes?

Is it immoral to avoid paying taxes?

• I don't pay taxes because I live in Mom's basement and use food stamps.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only losers follow the illegal tax laws, the 16th Amendment was never Ratified!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In the episode "The Nth Degree," Barclay's brain is taken over by an ancient race from the center of the Milky Way galaxy, the Cytherians, radically increasing his intellect. Under their influence, Barclay seizes command of the Enterprise-D and brings the ship to a confrontation with the Cytherians, who explain to Picard that they only desire an exchange of information with the Federation. After the exchange, the Cytherians return the Enterprise-D to Federation space, leaving Barclay with the memory of his interaction and an enhanced ability in chess. This episode also sees Barclay try his hand at acting, performing the title role in Dr Crusher's production of Cyrano de Bergerac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Barclay#Star_Trek:_First_Contact

OMG..I am totally a Next Generation fan! "Computer; Earl Grey-hot" I love Picard~~~'course I have a thing for sexy bald guys.

Moral Schmoral. Any legal loophole I can use to keep my money I am going to use. Who here feels like they don't pay enough taxes? Raise your hand.

If you can legally avoid paying taxes, then of course you can. What Christ meant was to follow the law of the land. This does not mean you can not fight for lower taxes or work to create tax shelters that are legally proscribed.

The only time a Christian is allowed to break with the laws of the land are if those laws would cause him to break a law of God's.
An interesting perspective. It was presented because one Christian on the site argued that it wasn't just moral to lie on his tax forms, he was obligated to do it.

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

An interesting perspective. It was presented because one Christian on the site argued that it wasn't just moral to lie on his tax forms, he was obligated to do it.

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." – Robert Heinlein

It may be interesting, but it is the only interpretation that does justice to what is said.

To fight against unfair taxation is legitimate. How that fight may be waged is another argument.

Personally I find it easier to just pay what the formulas tell me to, then vote for people who will lower taxes, shrink government, put in a balanced budget amendment, enforce the immigration laws...

Well, I think you get my drift.

I don't do it because they are my "dues" (this seems to be the liberal viewpoint), I do it because I don't want to waste time on an audit and money isn't the central theme of my life. I have too little time here to waste on high-stress/low return things like fighting the IRS through deliberate (maybe even unethical) action on my tax forms.

Fight them where it hurts, change the tax system so that what you make is no longer the business of the government.

Personally I find it easier to just pay what the formulas tell me to, then vote for people who will lower taxes, shrink government, put in a balanced budget amendment, enforce the immigration laws...

Well, I think you get my drift.

I don't do it because they are my "dues" (this seems to be the liberal viewpoint), I do it because I don't want to waste time on an audit and money isn't the central theme of my life. I have too little time here to waste on high-stress/low return things like fighting the IRS through deliberate (maybe even unethical) action on my tax forms.

Fight them where it hurts, change the tax system so that what you make is no longer the business of the government.

Yep, I was going to post similar. I take every deduction coming to me, then pay the rest. Simple and less time consuming. I too vote for those that claim they'll lower or at least try to hold down tax increases. Too often they disappoint. I'm happy with my representative, Peter Roskum, but detest both Senators.

If you can legally avoid paying taxes, then of course you can. What Christ meant was to follow the law of the land. This does not mean you can not fight for lower taxes or work to create tax shelters that are legally proscribed.

The only time a Christian is allowed to break with the laws of the land are if those laws would cause him to break a law of God's.
And since the Constitution recognizes our God-given right to a limited government, we are not breaking God's law by avoiding taxes used to pay for the non-limited portions. :good4u:

In the episode "The Nth Degree," Barclay's brain is taken over by an ancient race from the center of the Milky Way galaxy, the Cytherians, radically increasing his intellect. Under their influence, Barclay seizes command of the Enterprise-D and brings the ship to a confrontation with the Cytherians, who explain to Picard that they only desire an exchange of information with the Federation. After the exchange, the Cytherians return the Enterprise-D to Federation space, leaving Barclay with the memory of his interaction and an enhanced ability in chess. This episode also sees Barclay try his hand at acting, performing the title role in Dr Crusher's production of Cyrano de Bergerac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Barclay#Star_Trek:_First_Contact
The Next Generation is by far the best series of the Star Trek bunch. :good4u:

There you go again; projecting your own worry about your mental insuffeciancies, onto others.

Did your mother have any children that lived??

you said I was failing to clarify. Tell me where you're confused, if you get your idiot fingers to type. Or just admit you're running of at the mouth like a fool.

Last edited:
It may be interesting, but it is the only interpretation that does justice to what is said.

To fight against unfair taxation is legitimate. How that fight may be waged is another argument.

I agree with you, oddly enough. To disagree with laws and to try and change them is great. But to compromise your faith in order to break them is an entirely different matter.

Back