It's Over for Letterman

The ever elusive "they". Never really showing themselves, but always "there".

See? :readit: I wrote it. It must be so.

It reminds me of those exrea kids I have living with me that I have never met "Idon'tknow" and "Itwasn'tme". I tell the kids "I hope they move out when you do"...I get the feeling they will.

Oh the left nutters finally have a love affair with the troops now that Obama is their president...hadn't you noticed?

I wouldn't call it a love affair...they just don't "use" them today to try and embarrasses their "Dear Leader"..

If I liked a Toby Keith song, I'd buy it - in less than half a second. There wouldn't be one part of me that would think, "He supported Bush - I can't buy his music!"

I have seen and enjoyed movies from Arnold S., Chuck Norris, Bo Derek, Ron Silver, Kevin Costner, et al. - it has never even occurred to me not to go see them because of the performer's political views.

Frankly, I don't get it. I don't see what is so threatening about an opinion that differs from mine.

Toby Keith has been over to visit the troop's countless times, how many times have the ditsy Chicks went?
nuff said...

Yeah, he's so classy, putting up a photoshop of Natalie Maines hugging Saddam Hussein during one of his concerts.

Since you didn't answer the question directly, I'll take it that you support TK's nationalism but not the DC's protest. :cof1:

To shut people up. To silence an opinion they simply don't like.

I don't think that embodies the spirit of what it means to be an American and live in America. That's my opinion.

They hardly silenced the Chisk's, butr they sure did let them know which side their bread was buttered on. In the case of any artist who perform for a public audience it is the audience who makes their public platform available to them and it will be the public who can remove it. You insist in not understanding that the Dixi Chicks audiance at that time was one that supported the presidents decision on Iraq. They organized a protest against the Chick's who used their bought and paid for stage to espouse an anti Bush message...It was and remains an equally fair use of the First Amendment!

They hardly silenced the Chisk's, butr they sure did let them know which side their bread was buttered on. In the case of any artist who perform for a public audience it is the audience who makes their public platform available to them and it will be the public who can remove it. You insist in not understanding that the Dixi Chicks audiance at that time was one that supported the presidents decision on Iraq. They organized a protest against the Chick's who used their bought and paid for stage to espouse an anti Bush message...It was and remains an equally fair use of the First Amendment!

It sent a message to people in the entertainment industry & elsewhere to keep their mouth shut or else. It definitely created a chill for exercising free speech.

Maybe that's the kind of America you want to live in, where people feel afraid to speak out. It's not what I see as America, at least in spirit.

Oh boo, where is that small violin again for those poor poor chicks... and they were getting DEATH threats...Please, I bet country fans have more to do than waste time sending death treats to some snotty musicians...:rolleyes:

Words have consequences, they found out the hard way through the money people were willing to give them....a big fat 0 from the country fans, they still have the pop music...

O'Reilly and Hannity get death threats all the time. Hell, I've even had death threats. It's the sign of the times in which we live.

It sent a message to people in the entertainment industry & elsewhere to keep their mouth shut or else. It definitely created a chill for exercising free speech.

Maybe that's the kind of America you want to live in, where people feel afraid to speak out. It's not what I see as America, at least in spirit.

They weren't afraid to speak out. They were just displeased with the reaction they got once they did.

Stupid for anyone not to know their audience when they make inflamed comments to a crowd that were present, and who later learned about it, that majority-wise supported the adminstrations decision(s).

They "chose" to have an opinion and to use a venue where people paid to hear them sing their songs that caused them to buy tickets in the first place. They were not there to hear a political op-ed, a rally of support against the president or the war, but a concert of the Dixie Chick songs.

The hazard of having an opinion and voicing it in the manner in which they did was realized. They stepped in it big time, but they're big girls and I am sure they will be wiser in the future. Don't you?

The very right you claim they had to voice it, is the very same right you are indicating is not the same right of those that did not agree with it.

Can we say "h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y"?

Yes, we CAN!

Last edited:
If a bunch of lefties organized a boycott of Toby Keith because they didn't like his opinion and simply didn't want to hear it, I wouldn't celebrate it. I'd be embarassed for them.

Why would they call for an arrest? What reason was there to arrest them?
No answer to this strawman?
Again, when you say they wanted to end their right to free speech, arrest is one indication that would show you were right. Nobody in the mainstream called for their arrest. Nobody said what they had done should end, just that it would not have their support any longer.

When you repeat constantly that they are "against" freedom of expression because they were practicing it, it is simply a strawman, an attempt to make others ignore that both sides were using the same freedom of expression.

Since I don't know where on the political spectrum those people fit, I can't answer this. In any case, your comment is bogus because you don't know any more than the rest of us which of those making threats were mainstream. If you really meant "a mainstream republican in the public arena", you didn't say that.

What is bogus, is pretending that this was the reaction of the vast majority. Most simply stopped showing up for concerts. They moved to smaller venues and eventually sought and gained a different audience, they had alienated the one that they had before.

Having a PR campaign doesn't mean they overinflated or even lied about everything that happened to them because of their comments.

Nor does advertising the lowest common denominator make that denominator mainstream or even close to what the vast majority did, or supported.

It only takes one person to act out on a death threat, as we saw in the Tiller murder.
Yes, but to color an entire political expression on that one person is silly. Like the idiot who went in and killed soldiers at the recruiter, should we assume everybody of his particular stereotyped group is part of that? Ignorant stereotyping is something the left wants everybody to avoid, except when speaking of people who threaten the Dixie Chicks?

There's a difference between expressing displeasure at the cash register and making foul comments like "Traitors," "Saddam's Angels," "Dixie Sluts", and even death threats. Those actions were vicious and dangerous.

There is a difference, one is an expression of anger. As I said, some were more vehement than others, but even those were in the minority. The vast majority never took part in any boycott other than by not spending money.

Your insistence that it had to be a mainstream republican is laughable. Again, please check my words. What difference does it make how conservative the person was? Where the Dixie Chicks supposed to shrug off the threats because they were made by, according to you, the lunatic fringe?
Idiocy, nobody suggested they "shrug them off", only that the people protesting were not largely made up of people who would do that, or did it. They made necessary adjustments and continued on with life, I support that and hope the people who threatened them were caught and prosecuted. It doesn't change that attempting to color the entire group who expressed their displeasure with the Dixie Chicks as the exact same as those imbeciles is only a strawman attempt to garner the "good guy" label.

I haven't "pretended" anything and did not generalize the situation, while again you're inferring you know what I really meant. This isn't about general violence, it refers to a very specific situation that applied to three people.

And I refer to that same specific situation from a different perspective. It's preposterous to pretend that those fringe idiots were representative of even one percent of the people who expressed their "displeasure" with the Dixie Chicks.

You really need to watch your tendency to put your words into others' posts and focus on the written comment only.
Right, because your silly emotive rubbish and attempt to morally equate those expressing displeasure with the minute percentage who pressed into illegality couldn't be taken in any way but benevolently...

:rolleyes:

Except I didn't say that, you did. You've been trying to sidetrack this from the specific to the general since the beginning.
I have been specific, those protesting were using the same exact freedom you say was being curtailed. They have as much right as any other to use that right.

Some general threats and one very specific threat.

The Wiki Article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2972043.stm
And?

I said the Chicks had the First Amendment right to speak out against the war, nothing more, nothing less. You turned it into the direction of money. Your exact comment: ...There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that protects you from loss of earnings that you may have because your audience feels differently...

Because that was the form of expression the fans used. Ignoring their right to express themselves while supporting the rights of only those you support is plain backasswards. The Dixie Chicks had the right to express themselves, and their fans had the right too.

And again, what difference does it make? You're muddying the issue with your insistence that the threat was only valid if a mainstream republican said it. Death by mainstream republican or death by lunatic fringie is still death.

Again, it is because you continually try to equate the lunatic fringe with the vast majority who simply expressed their rightful freedoms.

I guess it depends on how you define "mainstream". I suggest that most fans of the group were mainstream Americans who were incensed that the Chicks would speak out against a president and a war that conservatives supported.

Again, silliness. They were upset that they used the voice that was given them BY THOSE FANS, to express opinion that was directly opposite of theirs. They used the platform built for them by those fans. Any performer would be wise to understand their audience especially when venturing into politics.

Where have I "continuously" gotten upset over people using free speech? Where have I tried to "shut down conversation"? You really do need to watch your tendency to attribute your own motives to others.

Idiotic, the "I'm the rubber, you're the glue" defense of a child. Where do you try to shut down conversation? It's easily found when you morally equate people who legally expressed themselves with the fringe who participated in illegal activity.

...And the hate mail, the demonstrations, the loss of sponsorship, the silly calls for bulldozing their CD's...

All of which were forms of expression. Except any threats or illegal activity that would threaten their person, which again were from a tiny minority of those who protested, and those who protested were also a minority of the entirety of people who simply just stopped buying albums or going to concerts.

Sorry, everything I wrote was based on fact: The Dixie Chicks spoke out against the war. Fans protested the Chicks' comments. Death threats were made. Hate mail was received. Their careers floundered temporarily. Their popularity was recouped. You, on the other hand, have consistently placed your emotions into my comments and tried to turn the topic from speech freedom into loss of money.

The lowest common denominator is a fact in math as well, but it doesn't make it the central reality, nor does it make protesting the moral equivalent of the super-minority who would venture into illegal activity.

Again, your comment about money bears no relation to my original assertion that the Dixie Chicks had every right to speak out against a war they protested. If you agree they had that right, why do you keep throwing money into the equation when I never did? Are you trying to deflect from the overheated hysteria that arose over their remark?
I agree with that right, but I also agree with the right of their audience to reject to continue to support them and express discontent. I "throw money" into it, because that was the tool they used.

And I never said anything different. My point was this group had the right to protest the war without being ostracized for it, and the money business is irrelevant.

They had no right to expect to continue to have the support of their audience. They have a right to say what they want, but not a right to a vacuum. Others can express their opinion as well.

Yet they didn't "consistently" speak against him, they made one comment at the concert and it blew up from there.

Not quite, they continued in the same vein in each of their apologies. Again, they have a right to express themselves, but no right to the expectation that there could never be any reaction to what they had to say. They used a platform built by those fans, the fans objected to that.

Again you've turned this from free speech rights into money. Perhaps that's the real difference between liberals and conservatives. You know as well as I do that in 2003 those who protested the war were called an un-American terrorist supporters by the highest levels of government. False dilemmas were commonplace. george bush: "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." karl rove: "Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers.

And again, boycotts and other monetary devices are used by both sides consistently to practice their freedom of expression.

If you still refuse to look at the larger picture rather than narrowing your focus to the money angle, more's the pity.

If you continue to pretend that their fans had no right to express themselves and ignore that monetary means were the only tool they had that was effective, then "more's the pity"....

Waaaaahhh...Waaaahhh! Photoshopped photos!! Say it ain't so!

The frucking nerve! How dare the repubs DO WHAT THE DEMS HAVE BEEN DOING!!!

:gives:

Are you talking to me..? If so, I think you misunderstood my point, or I am misunderstanding yours..mine was the repetitiveness of Onclear, even though Damo keeps pointing out the truth...

If a bunch of lefties organized a boycott of Toby Keith because they didn't like his opinion and simply didn't want to hear it, I wouldn't celebrate it. I'd be embarassed for them.
If they were originally fans, they might be effective. If a bunch of lefties organized a boycott of orange juice because it was advertised on Rush Limbaugh's show... It could be effective if his fans didn't buy the juice in greater measure...

(Actually happened.)

Were you "embarrassed" for them?

Hey, if the left wants to do a boycott of Toby Keith, more power to them..it's no skin off the nose of anyone else...That's that freedom thing we still have here...

The Dixie Chicks situation was not people just choosing not to buy Dixie Chicks. It was an organized campaign to shut them up - to silence their opinion through intimidation. People organized boycotts of their music, of radio stations, concerts, et al.

It sent a chill through the entire entertainment industry. "Dixie Chicked" became part of the lexicon. Many Americans who might otherwise have spoken up and voiced an opinion kept their mouths shut.

Ergo, the INTENT of the effort was simply to silence an opinion, and that was its EFFECT. That's why I asked if you think it's good for America to have no criticism of a sitting President - because that was all they were trying to do. It's no different from trying to pass legislation imposing a fine or jail time for such criticism.

I supported everyone's right to organize boycotts & do what they did - as you said, it's all part of free speech. I just thought their efforts were the antithesis of what it means to be an American & support the marketplace of ideas, and pathetic.

Would this then be like the debate that was going on, a month ago, that was about making public the names of those that signed a petition against Gay marriages??

Hey, if the left wants to do a boycott of Toby Keith, more power to them..it's no skin off the nose of anyone else...That's that freedom thing we still have here...
The only reason it was effective for the Dixie Chicks was because it was their actual audience. In order to regain their popularity it became necessary to seek a different audience. They were talented enough that they were able to do this, and I congratulate them. Those same people that objected before will not now, and do not... It is no longer their "voice" being used. They would be ineffective and largely isolated.

The Dixie Chicks have found the missing synergy...

The only reason it was effective for the Dixie Chicks was because it was their actual audience. In order to regain their popularity it became necessary to seek a different audience. They were talented enough that they were able to do this, and I congratulate them. Those same people that objected before will not now, and do not... It is no longer their "voice" being used. They would be ineffective and largely isolated.

absolutely right...Country music fans were more upset with the ditsy chicks going over to a foreign country and putting down the President while we had men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan...It wasn't them putting down Bush at all...
The chicks found out the hard way, country music fans are very patriotic...sucked to be them at that time...

If they were originally fans, they might be effective. If a bunch of lefties organized a boycott of orange juice because it was advertised on Rush Limbaugh's show... It could be effective if his fans didn't buy the juice in greater measure...

(Actually happened.)

Were you "embarrassed" for them?

Yeah - I think that's an embarassing use of a boycott.

I don't have a double-standard on this issue, much as you like to try to "nail" that. I have been pretty consistenly against most boycotts, right or left. I think about 90% of them are misdirected.

Back