John Edwards To Appear on Maury Povich

Damo bottomline is that you easily found an excuse to ignore McCain's infidelity yet somehow Edwards' is soo much worse. You're such a republican apologist these days.

Secondly the comment about that woman being passed around was pretty low and tacky. I have to say that I thought better of you.

Damo bottomline is that you easily found an excuse to ignore McCain's infidelity yet somehow Edwards' is soo much worse. You're such a republican apologist these days.

Secondly the comment about that woman being passed around was pretty low and tacky. I have to say that I thought better of you.

He knows it was. That's why he's spent 20 posts trying to deflect from it. He would have done much better to just say, shit, I shouldn't have said that, I don't know what I was thinking...and then moved on.

But that, wouldn't have been Damo.

Where have I excused McCain's infidelity?

And I agree, I shouldn't have said he passed her around.

Where have I excused McCain's infidelity?

And I agree, I shouldn't have said he passed her around.

Damo on McCain's Infidelity 5/23/2008
As for character. I see a huge difference between a man who admits a mistake and learns from it and one who hides his mistake behind "I had no sexual relations with 'that woman'..."

While I don't think the infidelity is much different I think the character of the man who learned from his mistake and therefore didn't repeat it is very different

McCain cheated on his first wife, repetedly - Just Plain Politics!

Damo on McCain's Infidelity 5/23/2008
As for character. I see a huge difference between a man who admits a mistake and learns from it and one who hides his mistake behind "I had no sexual relations with 'that woman'..."

While I don't think the infidelity is much different I think the character of the man who learned from his mistake and therefore didn't repeat it is very different

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=11257
I said I see a difference, not that it was excused. You are reaching.

Even in this thread I spoke of that difference as I explained the different reaction I would have had toward a different request from my brother.

The "excusing" it is that part which comes from within you, not from my statements.

I would have less disgust towards Newt and Edwards had they not been cheating on dying spouses, although I would not be their "friend" (if friend is defined as helping them by either remaining silent and ignoring it, or by helping them in their lies) if they tried to get me complicit in hiding their illicit behavior.

Even in this thread I spoke of that difference as I explained the different reaction I would have had toward a different request from my brother.

The "excusing" it is that part which comes from within you, not from my statements.

I would have less disgust towards Newt and Edwards had they not been cheating on dying spouses, although I would not be their "friend" (if friend is defined as helping them by either remaining silent and ignoring it, or by helping them in their lies) if they tried to get me complicit in hiding their illicit behavior.

Damo, try to keep in mind that McCain's wife was in a horrific car accident resulting in 5 painful spinal surgeries, which left the former model, five inches shorter.

There's not much difference, really. It's all bad. Maybe it's all even understandable. You respect who you want to, but, if I ever found myself in the position of being married to someone who contracted a long-term illness, and I became lonely and physically needy, I would hope I would fulfill my promise to that person to care for them, and keep any affair I had, out of sight. Certainly, not leave them.

There are degrees of grey in life, and I guess we all respect different choices.

Damo, try to keep in mind that McCain's wife was in a horrific car accident resulting in 5 painful spinal surgeries, which left the former model, five inches shorter.

There's not much difference, really. It's all bad. Maybe it's all even understandable. You respect who you want to, but, if I ever found myself in the position of being married to someone who contracted a long-term illness, and I became lonely and physically needy, I would hope I would fulfill my promise to that person to care for them, and keep any affair I had, out of sight. Certainly, not leave them.

There are degrees of grey in life, and I guess we all respect different choices.
I said in that thread that there is no difference in the infidelity, and spoke of those degrees of "grey" in that thread and in this one. Thank you for restating.

Queue Damo's word smith game.

I'll work through this scenario fully. Had McCain asked me to hide his secret life from his wife, he wouldn't be my confidante, or likely have much contact with me. Had he admitted to it, left his wife, and held no moral conflict in his demeanor, it is possible he could be. While I would be wary of him, as trust issues can arise from a person who did not keep their promise in that matter.

As I said, even of my brother, had he not been trying to get me into his game he'd likely have not stopped contacting me.

I'll work through this scenario fully. Had McCain asked me to hide his secret life from his wife, he wouldn't be my confidante, or likely have much contact with me. Had he admitted to it, left his wife, and held no moral conflict in his demeanor, it is possible he could be. While I would be wary of him, as trust issues can arise from a person who did not keep their promise in that matter.

The Reagans didn't feel that way. Maybe it had something to do with her waiting five years for him, and being an advocate for him, over here, before her terrible accident. I don't know why "admitting" to serial cheating on your crippled spouse, and then leaving them, is somehow more admirable than lying, to you.

I think your vaunted morals are a bit confused. I have more respect for the person who stays, and takes care of their spouse, even if they are taking some solace and fulfilment of their own needs, out of sight. In fact, that's hardly even relevant in such circumstances.

The Reagans didn't feel that way. Maybe it had something to do with her waiting five years for him, and being an advocate for him, over here, before her terrible accident. I don't know why "admitting" to serial cheating on your crippled spouse, and then leaving them, is somehow more admirable than lying, to you.

I think your vaunted morals are a bit confused. I have more respect for the person who stays, and takes care of their spouse, even if they are taking some solace and fulfilment of their own needs, out of sight. In fact, that's hardly even relevant in such circumstances.
The difference, in this matter, is between what one asks me to do that would be immoral, as opposed to another admitting imperfection, and working not to repeat it.

You said yourself that you have friends who have done this and don't think particularly differently of them. I pointed out that I do, that I think they are less trustworthy and they would find my confidence in them much more difficult to obtain.

I too would have respect for the person who stayed over the one who left their spouse, nor did I ever state otherwise.

But, as I said in that thread, there are differences in how people act and portray themselves afterward. I compare him to another who cheats, not to one who never did.

Please expand on exactly what that difference is. You claim Edwards is a jerk for his extramarital affairs, yet some how throughout the McCain thread you made no real judgements toward his character.

Fascinating.....

Please expand on exactly what that difference is. You claim Edwards is a jerk for his extramarital affairs, yet some how throughout the McCain thread you made no real judgements toward his character.

Fascinating.....
I have already explained further in this thread. And I agree it is fascinating.

I have already explained further in this thread. And I agree it is fascinating.

No you didn't. You keep reflecting back to your brother's statement where he wanted to get you involvedin his infidelity. Completely different issues.

Let me bottom line it for you:

Why is Edwards a jerk and McCain not?

No you didn't. You keep reflecting back to your brother's statement where he wanted to get you involvedin his infidelity. Completely different issues.

Let me bottom line it for you:

Why is Edwards a jerk and McCain not?
Let me see if I can figure it out.

It is mostly in the hiding.

When McCain ran for office he did not hide this, he even wrote about it in his book. This was something he had to overcome to get elected, and was able to do that. Would I have voted for him? I may have, considering that he simply admitted it, didn't try to cover it up or make it somehow moral, didn't try to say he was 99% "honest" in trying to cover it up, and his wife wasn't dying at that moment, or even his wife, he didn't gain a ton of sympathy during the campaign for her condition nor even attempt to...

He is still, IMO, a jerk in what he had done. He did not, in admitting it, attempt to pass the blame, or to somehow make himself look like the victim, he made none other complicit in an attempt to hide it, and to all appearances has not repeated it.

He did not use his ex-wife's condition to garner sympathy while he continued in the activity during a campaign, did not dismiss it as "tabloid trash", did not admit to feeling "special", nor did he do the 'stand by your man' pictures.

Let me see if I can figure it out.

It is mostly in the hiding.

When McCain ran for office he did not hide this, he even wrote about it in his book. This was something he had to overcome to get elected, and was able to do that. Would I have voted for him? I may have, considering that he simply admitted it, didn't try to cover it up or make it somehow moral, didn't try to say he was 99% "honest" in trying to cover it up, and his wife wasn't dying at that moment, or even his wife, he didn't gain a ton of sympathy during the campaign for her condition nor even attempt to...

He is still, IMO, a jerk in what he had done. He did not, in admitting it, attempt to pass the blame, or to somehow make himself look like the victim, he made none other complicit in an attempt to hide it, and to all appearances has not repeated it.

He did not use his ex-wife's condition to garner sympathy while he continued in the activity during a campaign, did not dismiss it as "tabloid trash", did not admit to feeling "special", nor did he do the 'stand by your man' pictures.

blah blah blah......

so you agree then that McCain is a jerk too? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Well, I figured you could understand in the sentence, "I think he is a jerk in what he had done." to mean that.

Well, you like to slime your way out of what you clearly insinuate.

So, just to make sure we're on the same page do you or don't you think McCain is a jerk too?

Again...yes or no..... that's all.

Back