Legalize Marijuana to pay for the "Public Option".

Again, those same people don't even grow a garden to save themselves money, they'll not be cultivating when it is easily obtainable at a store. Period.

Some people would grow it next to the tomatoes, but those would be the people who make that effort to begin with (that of growing tomatoes) and they would not make the difference in revenue, any more than the people who brew their own beer do for alcohol.
Again, with the tomato comparison, its a matter of degree and a matter of taxation. Tomatoes, since they are a food, aren't taxed in most states, and if so typically at reduced rates. Folks are talking about 100 to 500% tax on weed, and folks, dopers or not, don't like to get ripped off.

The comparison with beer is more legitimate on the tax basis, but not so much due to the cost of raw materials and processing.

Again, with the tomato comparison, its a matter of degree and a matter of taxation. Tomatoes, since they are a food, aren't taxed in most states, and if so typically at reduced rates. Folks are talking about 100 to 500% tax on weed, and folks, dopers or not, don't like to get ripped off.

The comparison with beer is more legitimate on the tax basis, but not so much due to the cost of raw materials and processing.
1. They pay more than they would with the taxes for it now.
2. Those who produce it make a far better quality than they can in their own backyard and they produce it year round at that high quality.
3. These people pay inflated prices now, even though they could easily produce it at home.
4. Those same people, if they were "angry" at being ripped off, would be just as angry even without taxation for the tomatoes, they are simply that much cheaper when you grow your own.
5. The materials for brewing are far cheaper than you think. I used to brew my own, it is easier than cultivating anything.

1. They pay more than they would with the taxes for it now.
2. Those who produce it make a far better quality than they can in their own backyard and they produce it year round at that high quality.
3. These people pay inflated prices now, even though they could easily produce it at home.
4. Those same people, if they were "angry" at being ripped off, would be just as angry even without taxation for the tomatoes, they are simply that much cheaper when you grow your own.
5. The materials for brewing are far cheaper than you think. I used to brew my own, it is easier than cultivating anything.
1. Because getting caught growing would be a prison sentence.
2. Yet the stuff grows nearly anywhere; its a weed.
3. See item 1.
4. That makes no sense.
5. http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/181 The cheapest kit is $30 for two gallons of beer, and that assumes that your labor is free.

1. Because getting caught growing would be a prison sentence.
2. Yet the stuff grows nearly anywhere; its a weed.
3. See item 1.
4. That makes no sense.
5. http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/181 The cheapest kit is $30 for two gallons of beer, and that assumes that your labor is free.
1. Doesn't matter, getting caught owning enough to use more than a day at a time (they buy more than that) would also be a sentence.
2. The stuff that grows on the side of the road is very difficult to get "high" with, it really is the absolute lowest form of the plant. There reality is the quality produced by cultivators is that much better.
3. Yes, see previous posts.
4. It does, in order to gain profit for each of the companies that handle the tomatoes the price increases at the store, you can save TONS by growing your own tomatoes, many do, but not enough to stop the profit or the taxation (in the places that do tax it, I gave one of them earlier). It is stupid to say that people would do it for THIS, but not for THAT because THAT is legal... when your point is that the legally grown stuff would be grown by EVERYBODY.
5. Your labor is free, unless you charge yourself, the kits are reusable. In order to buy the same amount of beer with the same quality you would produce from one kit you would spend well over $150. You also do not have to purchase the kit as you can brew it in something as simple as a 5 gallon bucket, the ingredients are cheap cheap cheap and the beer is far better than you will ever get at your local pub.

It really doesn't matter, IMO it will be legalized. When even Tom Tancredo can see the wisdom in it, it is really just a matter of time, and a short time at that.

Then we'll see whether I (and economists) are correct, or Southern Man. Just as we'll see how correct I am about the application of their religious test in North Carolina.

1. Doesn't matter, getting caught owning enough to use more than a day at a time (they buy more than that) would also be a sentence.
2. The stuff that grows on the side of the road is very difficult to get "high" with, it really is the absolute lowest form of the plant. There reality is the quality produced by cultivators is that much better.
3. Yes, see previous posts.
4. It does, in order to gain profit for each of the companies that handle the tomatoes the price increases at the store, you can save TONS by growing your own tomatoes, many do, but not enough to stop the profit or the taxation (in the places that do tax it, I gave one of them earlier). It is stupid to say that people would do it for THIS, but not for THAT because THAT is legal... when your point is that the legally grown stuff would be grown by EVERYBODY.
5. Your labor is free, unless you charge yourself, the kits are reusable. In order to buy the same amount of beer with the same quality you would produce from one kit you would spend well over $150. You also do not have to purchase the kit as you can brew it in something as simple as a 5 gallon bucket, the ingredients are cheap cheap cheap and the beer is far better than you will ever get at your local pub.

1. Getting caught is largely a matter of exposure. You're much more exposed with plants rowing in your garden for 4 to 6 months then the minute or two to score some weed from a dealer on a street corner.
2. Just like tomatoes.
3. No, see previous posts.
4. You can save a lot but not nearly as much as with weed. Plus a few weed plants gives you product all year long with little processing. Not so with tomatoes, and if you go to the expense of canning your profit goes way down. The market cost of tomatoes is largely due to the delicate nature of the product and short shelf life.
5. Dude the cheapest "refill" kits are $13 plus shipping, handing and tax, which makes less than a case of beer. You can buy the stuff in the store for that or less.

1. Getting caught is largely a matter of exposure. You're much more exposed with plants rowing in your garden for 4 to 6 months then the minute or two to score some weed from a dealer on a street corner.
2. Just like tomatoes.
3. No, see previous posts.
4. You can save a lot but not nearly as much as with weed. Plus a few weed plants gives you product all year long with little processing. Not so with tomatoes, and if you go to the expense of canning your profit goes way down. The market cost of tomatoes is largely due to the delicate nature of the product and short shelf life.
5. Dude the cheapest "refill" kits are $13 plus shipping, handing and tax, which makes less than a case of beer. You can buy the stuff in the store for that or less.

1. Again, the vast majority of people do not have gardens for a reason, they don't cultivate and don't want to.
2. Yes, tomatoes you grow yourself can have a lower quality than what you get in the store, it is one of the reasons many don't bother. Just like they wouldn't with weed.
3. Right, as I said, see my previous posts. It has long been explained, your posts have been refuted and you just continue to repeat ignorance because you don't want to learn.
4. Yet you can still save a lot, if money was their sole goal they'd already be growing gardens. They don't, because not everybody wants to cultivate even house plants, let alone veggies or weed.
5. Again, those are the kits. They are always more expensive. You can buy the ingredients for less than $5 to brew more than twice the amount you get out of a kit (about $150 worth of alcohol from the kit and/or refill, about $300 worth if you get your own ingredients, and you will want to after a time because you can make even better beer than the kits with easy recipes). You cannot buy that much beer at the store for less, you are being obtuse.

It's far easier than you think, I'd recommend learning a bit about it.

Again, those are the kits. They are always more expensive. You can buy the ingredients for less than $5 to brew more than twice the amount you get out of a kit (about $150 worth of alcohol from the kit and refill, about $300 worth if you get your own ingredients, and you will want to after a time because you can make even better beer than the kits with easy recipes).

It's far easier than you think, I'd recommend learning a bit about it.

Sure you can shop around and buy actual ingredients but that takes more effort than most are willing to put out. Now if beer were taxed at 500% the equation may be different.

I would be interested to see if you have a site to order actual ingredients. I've made my own cider before but never beer because, as a purist, I don't see any advantage in buying some pre-processed ingredients.

While I agree that MJ should be legalized and taxed in a fashion similar to alcohol, I don't think the money raised would be enough to cover those in need of health care. It is a good start, but we must get the idiots in DC to find ways to reduce COSTS of health care first. Otherwise, it matters not whether the individual pays for health care via their employer, their government or directly.

Agreed. Not only that, the two issues should be separate. I have a huge problem with unrelated legislation being piggybacked onto larger bills, and this in its way is similar to that.

If marijuana is to be legalized on its own merits, then do it for that reason. To designate revenues from the tax to go directly to healthcare is irresponsible. First, it's unrelated, and second, at this point in time it would be impossible to create any sort of meaningful budget prediction as to the revenues that might ensue. Especially net revenues.

Agreed. Not only that, the two issues should be separate. I have a huge problem with unrelated legislation being piggybacked onto larger bills, and this in its way is similar to that.

If marijuana is to be legalized on its own merits, then do it for that reason. To designate revenues from the tax to go directly to healthcare is irresponsible. First, it's unrelated, and second, at this point in time it would be impossible to create any sort of meaningful budget prediction as to the revenues that might ensue. Especially net revenues.

They sell more MJ in Cali than grapes, bet they have the grape tax down pat.

Sure you can shop around and buy actual ingredients but that takes more effort than most are willing to put out. Now if beer were taxed at 500% the equation may be different.

I would be interested to see if you have a site to order actual ingredients. I've made my own cider before but never beer because, as a purist, I don't see any advantage in buying some pre-processed ingredients.
Beer is taxed very high.

Damn, tomatoes purchased in stores are tasteless.

There's a store we used to go to close to downtown that sold the ingredients, and if you wanted to go the boring route or give it as a gift the kits. As well as filtering equipment and other stuff you didn't get in any of the kits.

I wonder if there is a good online store for them... When I brewed beer with my dad I had just returned from the military. The kits were where we started, but as you learn and want to explore and create recipes of your own you find the places that will sell you the ingredients and equipment you need to get the job done.

Some of the simplest recipes solely have malt extract, hops, yeast, water, and sugar. Some of the more complex recipes use far more ingredients than that....

There's a store we used to go to close to downtown that sold the ingredients, and if you wanted to go the boring route or give it as a gift the kits. As well as filtering equipment and other stuff you didn't get in any of the kits.

I wonder if there is a good online store for them... When I brewed beer with my dad I had just returned from the military. The kits were where we started, but as you learn and want to explore and create recipes of your own you find the places that will sell you the ingredients and equipment you need to get the job done.

Some of the simplest recipes solely have malt extract, hops, yeast, water, and sugar. Some of the more complex recipes use far more ingredients than that....
If I was going to make it I'd want to use malt, not extract. Not that I know what it is. Heck when I make pancakes I like to start with flour.

Back