Louisiana Requires All Public Classrooms to Display Ten Commandments

Whooo boy! That “correct” interpretation thing.

There are currently somewhere around 5800 Greek manuscripts of the NT. None of which are the originals, merely copies of copies of copies….They contain hundreds of thousands of variants.

Good luck on the “correct” version!
My example was meant to apply to interpretations of Biblical scripture. For example, when groups oppose saying the pledge of allegiance because it is putting country before God, others argue that is not what the Bible means and argue that is not a "proper" religious belief. My point was that a person can have their own interpretation of that scripture and it is equally valid.

The headlines could have read, “Sacred Jewish text to be posted in Louisiana classrooms; most Jews are opposed.”

That headline would have been correct.

Yes, Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry has signed a law that mandates the Ten Commandments be posted in every public education classroom in the state — the first state to do so.

And, yes, the Ten Commandments are a sacred Jewish text (known as the aseret ha-dibrot, the 10 utterances), which is not the reason why he has made that a mandate. I doubt he has reflected overly much on their Jewish origin

But, no, this rabbi is not happy about this. I daresay I speak for many if not most Jews in America in voicing my displeasure and my concern.

www.sltrib.com

Commentary: Why the posting of the Ten Commandments is wrong and should offend all religions

Columnist Jeffrey Salkin of Religion News Service explains why it's wrong for government to post the Ten Commandments.
www.sltrib.com
www.sltrib.com
Sorry sweetie, the Jews don't have magical ownership of the Ten Commandments

Correct, it does. And the amendment does not say religious precepts are not allowed to be displayed in schools
The Constitution's establishment clause prohibits government from promoting (or prohibiting) religious items but the context can determine their legality.

No it hasn't
"In a 5-to-4 per curiam decision, the Court ruled that the Kentucky law violated the first part of the test established in Lemon v. Kurtzman, and thus violated the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. The Court found that the requirement that the Ten Commandments be posted "had no secular legislative purpose" and was "plainly religious in nature." The Court noted that the Commandments did not confine themselves to arguably secular matters (such as murder, stealing, etc.), but rather concerned matters such as the worship of God and the observance of the Sabbath Day."

No such thing is contained in the establishment clause
There is a long history of establishment clause cases that makes this very point.

To keep it simple, the first test in establishment cases is 1) does it (the law) have a secular purpose? Clearly, there is nothing secular about the commandments about religion.

A different decision was reached in a case in which the 10 Commandments was included in a historical display on the grounds of the Texas Capitol showing its past history. The commandments was only one display out of several.

Back