Marines outraged over TIME's new cover picture

Unfortunately, not many of these men are still around. Our WWII veterens are quickly fading from this life. If you have a chance to sit and talk with one of them or a surviving spouse, take it. You never know when the opportunity may be your last. That is the true tragedy of this issue.

Christ we have a lot of people with granparents that fought at Iwo Jima here.

You bet your ass
At least you are (presumably) consistent.

You have a right to be offended, I have a right to tell you you're being a fucking idiot.

I'm not offended at all, but I do respect their right to be offended. And yes, you have the right to call them f*cking idiots. However, doing so doesn't help anyone. The greatest problem in American politics is that people shut each other down, insult each other, rather than try to find a solution. The marines are upset and their beliefs are just as valid as your own; responding maliciously is only going to cause more grief, instead of being calm and rational-- and above all else, pleasant.

For me to say to this marine, "you have every right to be upset," would be completely dishonest.

As has been repeated many times on this thread, this is "false outrage." That is, it is manufactured outrage over something that shouldn't normally cause any outrage at all. It's a picture. It's not being used in a derogatory or disrespectful way. As I said before, you have to WANT to be outraged. There was another serviceman on this thread who looked at it the complete opposite way, which is that Marines & that picture embody the spirit of getting 'er done against the odds, which is the kind of spirit we may need in the fight to save the planet.

Silly, silly, silly. I don't think it does America a lot of good to simply ignore opinions like this one, just as I don't think it does us any good to allow PC false outrage - which conservatives usually hate - run amok.

For me to say to this marine, "you have every right to be upset," would be completely dishonest.
Why, you have every right to be upset. Why don't they?

As has been repeated many times on this thread, this is "false outrage."
How do you know? Are you in their heads? Not only that, I can't see how this is any more "false outrage" than 99 percent of the issues people are upset by in politics.
That is, it is manufactured outrage over something that shouldn't normally cause any outrage at all.
Thank you, I understand the concept of false outrage. I did not, however, know that you had telepathy and had been using it to discern the honesty of these marines.
It's a picture. It's not being used in a derogatory or disrespectful way.
And who are you to judge that? If Time magazine used a picture or icon that you found to be sacred or important etc., wouldn't you be the one to judge whether it is being used in a derogatory manner? Doesn't a Muslim get to say when Mohammed is being used in derogatory manner, doesn't a Christian have the right to say when Jesus is being used in a derogatory manner, don't women have the right to say when they are being objectified, or an ethnic minority have the right to say when it is being abused? Who are you to tell THEM how they should feel? Who are you to measure the honesty of their feelings?
As I said before, you have to WANT to be outraged.
And like I said, you have no right to pass that judgment. You are not a WWII veteran, therefore you have no reference for their perspective.
There was another serviceman on this thread who looked at it the complete opposite way, which is that Marines & that picture embody the spirit of getting 'er done against the odds, which is the kind of spirit we may need in the fight to save the planet.
That is like saying that if one black person was offended by a racist comment but another black person didn't care, that makes the comment not offensive. Newsflash: the comment is still offensive, even if only to one person. Certainly each individual can decide whether something is offensive or not, but just because you do not find something offensive doesn't mean that anyone who does is expressing only false outrage.

Silly, silly, silly. I don't think it does America a lot of good to simply ignore opinions like this one, just as I don't think it does us any good to allow PC false outrage - which conservatives usually hate - run amok.
Conservatives probably hate being politically correct because conservatives are intolerant bigots. Hopefully that comment was not directed at me, because I am far from conservative. I know, I know, I'm actually defending someone's rights and not being a completely close-minded barbarian, so to either party I must seem like some sort of rarity or (gasp!) a member of the other party!

My Grandfather fought at Iwo Jima. He's been gone for some time now, but I can still remember his stories. For the men of his generation that fought in the Pacific and in Europe, I have the highest respect.

I can only imagine that my Grandpa would have been a little offended. Yet, I do not believe Time deliberately meant to insult the Greatest Generation. This surely would have been a conversation, but I doubt the Grandpa I loved would have called for anyone to burn in hell for it.

I believe seeing the American Flag being burned and disrespected by protestors would have bothered Grandpa much more. In hind-sight, the Times cover was a little distasteful, but it is just a magazine cover that will fade away. The true Iwo Jima image will endure as an American Treasure.

We shouldn't forget that not long ago Time selected and pictured American Military men and women as its "Person of the Year". Give Time magaizine the benefit of the doubt.
If I could, I would rate this the BEST post in the thread.

Bumped for extra hilarity:

61MWDJWM3SL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

/falseoutrage I am sooooo fucking outraged that she would mock all those dead Marines by turing them into kids and then putting them on a book. Doesn't she UNDERSTAND the sacrifice they made at Iwo Jima? Unsympathetic left wing...er ahh right wing unamerican. /falseoutrage

Even "Sisters," the one with the lesbian sex scenes?

Incidentally, where and with whom do you hang out such that owning a full set of Lynne Cheney books is considered "winning?"
Nah, just the kid's books. As for the rest. That's a nun'ya.

Nah, just the kid's books. As for the rest. That's a nun'ya.

I don't really care to know. Just joking around. I just hope to never stumble across such a gathering while lost and looking for a loo.

And Soc, I am aware of who Lynne Cheney is and realize that she is not her lesbian daughter. Apparently you are unaware that Lynne Cheney, Wife of Darth Cheney, wrote a book titled "Sisters" that contained lesbian sex scenes.

And again, I was joking.

Ok so let me get this straight. Marines are pissed cause they put a tree in where the flag was on a picture that was STAGED! The Marines that put that flag in for that picture did not do it in the heat of combat with bullets zooming all over the place. They did it with a photographer setting up the shot. Yeah damn them all straight to hell.

As an aside I wanted to be a marine but I couldn't pass the test.

I couldn't get my head in the fucking jar,

First of all, you never wanted to be a Marine. That is clear by the tone of this post. All you wish to do is to throw insults at anyone that has ever served in the United States Marine Corps.

The photo of the second flag raising by Joe Rosenthal was not staged and you know it. The fact that you wish to make that accusation shows the hatred you have for the military. What is obviously beyond your grasp is that this photo represents the 7000 Marines that died in the battle for Iwo Jima. It was the taking of Iwo Jima that allowed the final phase of ending WWII by having a base where B-29s could stage bombing missions against Japan. And that is probably why you show the disrespect you do for the Marines.

First of all, you never wanted to be a Marine. That is clear by the tone of this post. All you wish to do is to throw insults at anyone that has ever served in the United States Marine Corps.

The photo of the second flag raising by Joe Rosenthal was not staged and you know it. The fact that you wish to make that accusation shows the hatred you have for the military. What is obviously beyond your grasp is that this photo represents the 7000 Marines that died in the battle for Iwo Jima. It was the taking of Iwo Jima that allowed the final phase of ending WWII by having a base where B-29s could stage bombing missions against Japan. And that is probably why you show the disrespect you do for the Marines.

On orders from Colonel Chandler Johnson, passed on by Captain Severance, Sergeant Michael Strank, Corporal Harlon H. Block, Private First Class Franklin R. Sousley and Private First Class Ira H. Hayes spent the morning of the 23rd laying a telephone wire to the top of Suribachi. Severance also dispatched Private First Class Rene A. Gagnon, a runner, to the command post for fresh SCR-300 walkie-talkie batteries.

Meanwhile, according to the official Marine Corps history, Tuttle had found a larger (96-by-56 inch) flag in nearby Tank Landing Ship LST 779, made his way back to the command post, and gave it to Johnson. Johnson, in turn, gave it to Gagnon with orders to take it back up Suribachi and raise it.[12] The official Marine Corps history of the event is that Tuttle received the flag from Ensign Alan Wood of LST 779, who in turn had received the flag from a supply depot in Pearl Harbor. However, the Coast Guard Historian's Office supports claims made by Robert Resnick, who served aboard LST 758. "Before he died in November 2004, Resnick said Gagnon came aboard LST-758 the morning of Feb. 23 looking for a flag. Resnick said he grabbed one from a bunting box and asked permission from commanding officer Lt. Felix Molenda to donate it. Resnick kept quiet about his participation until 2001."[13] The flag itself was sewn by Mabel Sauvageau, a worker at the "flag loft" of the Mare Island Naval Shipyard.[14]

The Marines reached the top of the mountain around noon, where Gagnon joined them. Despite the large numbers of Japanese troops in the immediate vicinity, the 40-man patrol made it to the top of the mountain without being fired at once, as the Japanese were under bombardment at the time.[15]

Rosenthal, along with Marine photographers Bob Campbell and Bill Genaust (who was killed in action nine days after the flag raising)[16] was climbing Suribachi at this time. On the way up, the trio met Lowery (the man who photographed the first flag raising). They had been considering turning around, but Lowery told them that the summit was an excellent vantage point from which to take pictures.[11]

Rosenthal's trio reached the summit as the Marines were attaching the flag to an old Japanese water pipe. Rosenthal put down his Speed Graphic camera (which was set to 1/400th of a second shutter speed, with the f-stop between 8 and 16) on the ground so he could pile rocks to stand on for a better vantage point. In doing so, he nearly missed the shot. Along with Navy Pharmacist's Mate Second Class John H. Bradley, the five Marines began raising the U. S. flag. Realizing he was about to miss it, Rosenthal quickly swung his camera up and snapped the photograph without using the viewfinder.[17] Ten years after the flag-raising, Rosenthal wrote:

Out of the corner of my eye, I had seen the men start the flag up. I swung my camera and shot the scene. That is how the picture was taken, and when you take a picture

This taken from Wiki and it is sourced.

Rosenthal's trio reached the summit as the Marines were attaching the flag to an old Japanese water pipe. Rosenthal put down his Speed Graphic camera (which was set to 1/400th of a second shutter speed, with the f-stop between 8 and 16) on the ground so he could pile rocks to stand on for a better vantage point. In doing so, he nearly missed the shot. Along with Navy Pharmacist's Mate Second Class John H. Bradley, the five Marines began raising the U. S. flag. Realizing he was about to miss it, Rosenthal quickly swung his camera up and snapped the photograph without using the viewfinder.[17] Ten years after the flag-raising, Rosenthal wrote:

Out of the corner of my eye, I had seen the men start the flag up. I swung my camera and shot the scene. That is how the picture was taken, and when you take a picture

This taken from Wiki and it is sourced.

By your own research, it sure sounds like the photo was not staged.

In doing so, he nearly missed the shot. Along with Navy Pharmacist's Mate Second Class John H. Bradley, the five Marines began raising the U. S. flag. Realizing he was about to miss it, Rosenthal quickly swung his camera up and snapped the photograph without using the viewfinder.

Yep, the photo was not staged as you claimed.

Back