Massachusetts in play???

i live in massachusetts and i am not surprised.

there are around 6 million people here, and currently around 3.5 million people are registered to vote...believe it or not, only around 1.1 million are registered democrats.

a great many of us are independent voters and not kool-aid drinking libs.

obama did not have much support in the massachusetts primary, as hillary won by a large margin here. massachusetts respects john mccain and although i think obama will most likely win the state in the general election, i think it is going to be A LOT closer than most people realize.

there are around 6 million people here, and currently around 3.5 million people are registered to vote...believe it or not, only around 1.1 million are registered democrats.

obama did not have much support in the massachusetts primary, as hillary won by a large margin here. massachusetts respects john mccain and although i think obama will most likely win the state in the general election, i think it is going to be A LOT closer than most people realize.

Yeah, maybe a 25% rather than a 30% margin for Obama. ;)

Massachussettes has a semi-closed primary system, and states with such a system traditionally have very high turnout. States in a pure closed primary system, on the other hand, usually have independents in the single digits, no matter the state.

Last edited:
LOL -- you do know what they say about ASSumptions, don't you?

nice to meet you. ;)

I'm going off on people right now, sorry.

I'll get the next one! Just let me tell you!

Let me replace that rant in the meantime to make it look like I didn't go into a manic episode...

Fascinaten. Thanks, it's always nice to get a perspective from someone on the ground.

Just out of curiousity...what makes you say that "maasachusetts respects John McCain"?

I only ask because he garnered 204 thousand votes in the MA primary, and lost it to Romney's 255 thousand.

Oh, and then there is the fact that:

Hillary Clinton received 705 thousand votes in the MA primary.

Barack Obama received 511 thousand votes in the MA primary.

Meaning - Obama alone received more votes in the MA primary than both Romney AND McCain put together.
Add in Hillary’s 700 thousand votes, and well…maybe you aren’t looking at this through the “independent” eyes you think you are.

Yeah, maybe a 25% rather than a 30% margin for Obama. ;)

Massachussettes has a semi-closed primary system, and states with such a system traditionally have very high turnout. States in a pure closed primary system, on the other hand, usually have independents in the single digits, no matter the state.

I'm going off on people right now, sorry.

I'll get the next one! Just let me tell you!

Let me replace that rant in the meantime to make it look like I didn't go into a manic episode...

nope, i'm saving it for posterity. :p

New York has medium respect for McCain. New York also likes tennis, traveling, going to the movies, rainy days & spicy food...

Fascinaten. Thanks, it's always nice to get a perspective from someone on the ground.

Just out of curiousity...what makes you say that "maasachusetts respects John McCain"?

I only ask because he garnered 204 thousand votes in the MA primary, and lost it to Romney's 255 thousand.

Oh, and then there is the fact that:

Hillary Clinton received 705 thousand votes in the MA primary.

Barack Obama received 511 thousand votes in the MA primary.

Meaning - Obama alone received more votes in the MA primary than both Romney AND McCain put together.
Add in Hillary’s 700 thousand votes, and well…maybe you aren’t looking at this through the “independent” eyes you think you are.

i am a forty something year old, fifth generation bostonian who has always been an unenrolled (independent) voter in massachusetts.

romney was our governor, so he had a big base of support in the primary. obama enjoyed the support of our current governor deval patrick and his campaign bots. hillary won massachusetts, new hampshire, rhode island and i think maine? i forget.

anyway, based on my observations since the primary, a lot of people i encounter do not support obama and are supporting mccain's cadidacy...

Last edited:
"anyway, based on my observations since the primary, a lot of people i encounter do not support obama and are supporting mccain's cadidacy..."

This kind of anecdotal stuff always strikes me as a little strange, and certainly unreliable. How many people do you encounter? What kind of circles do you travel in?

I probably encounter no more than a few dozen people in any kind of meaningful way over the average year. There is an even smaller # who I am comfortable talking politics with in an honest way, as I am pretty sure is the same for most people. Of those, most support Obama, which is no surprise, since I tend to hang with people who I get along with.

"anyway, based on my observations since the primary, a lot of people i encounter do not support obama and are supporting mccain's cadidacy..."

This kind of anecdotal stuff always strikes me as a little strange, and certainly unreliable. How many people do you encounter? What kind of circles do you travel in?

I probably encounter no more than a few dozen people in any kind of meaningful way over the average year. There is an even smaller # who I am comfortable talking politics with in an honest way, as I am pretty sure is the same for most people. Of those, most support Obama, which is no surprise, since I tend to hang with people who I get along with.

you are too funny, it's just one person's input, so take it for what it's worth. i encounter a lot of people including every demographic you could think of.

Onceler just because you have no friends doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

I don't use anecdotal evidence much because people like you assume it is worthless, but I interact with upwards of 200 people on a weekly basis. We inevitably end up discussing politics.

They vary in their socioeconomic demographics which paints me a pretty good picture of what all sides of my local electorate are thinking.

Last edited:
Onceler just because you have no friends doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

I don't use anecdotal evidence much because people like you assume it is worthless, but I interact with upwards of 200 people on a weekly basis. We inevitably end up discussing politics.

They vary in their socioeconomic demographics which paints me a pretty good picture of what all sides of my local electorate are thinking.

Really, you interact with 200 people a week with whom you are comfortable sharing political opinion? Wow. Well, I must live a very unglamorous lifestyle. Of course today, I was at a business networking meeting from 7 to 8:30 am, with approx 70 people, and I just left a meeting with the superintendent of a school district, along with two of his assistants. The first meeting was for my own business, and the second for my day job.

With none of the above would I discuss politics. Maybe the difference Epic, lies not in having friends (I do, and I'm sure Onceler does), but with having jobs, and not being able to hang around 7 days a week with 200 other stoners talking shit. I dunno. Just maybe it could be.

Back