McCain's Healthcare Tax

yes this is true. I asked HR what we would get in return.. and we get nothing. No pay increase.. they will provide a healthsaver account.

Its a massive break to the corporation. Anybody that supports this rubbish and gets company provided healthcare must be some sort of sadomasochistic.

Its a direct assault on the middle class.

Also, keep in mind that the whole point of McCain's health insurance tax is for employers to stop providing health insurance and for individuals to purchase insurance on the private market for a whole hell of a lot more than the measly tax credit, a tax credit that get increasingly measly year after year because it is indexed to inflation while heath insurance premiums increase at a much higher rate.

They’ll also be able to lock more people out on grounds of “pre-existing conditions” this way. I mean, it’s actually as if whoever designed this plan did it in a way to most horrify people, as some sort of April Fool’s joke.

Pure ignorance. People like me are going to get so f’d by McCain’s health care plan. It will never pass, they’ll be a revolt, and you won’t get that past congress anyway, but then, I always say…you never know. That’s what they said 30 years ago about repealing the estate tax.

His healthcare "plan" scares me to death. That coupled with republican's mantra of, "no regulation" has me scared that even the people that have somewhat of a decent umbrella policy will be devastated. Just more of the same.

Absolutely disgusting. If Iraq and this $700B isn't enough to wake up repubs, then god help us all.

How can anyone with any shred of intelligence still support republicans? I just don't get it.

"How can anyone with any shred of intelligence still support republicans? I just don't get it."

You have it figured out.

either what you said or just lining their own pockets and playing the ones without any shred...

Links right in with the if it is good for business it is good for america mantra.

His healthcare "plan" scares me to death. That coupled with republican's mantra of, "no regulation" has me scared that even the people that have somewhat of a decent umbrella policy will be devastated. Just more of the same.

Absolutely disgusting. If Iraq and this $700B isn't enough to wake up repubs, then god help us all.

How can anyone with any shred of intelligence still support republicans? I just don't get it.

I have no answer. And I really suspect that McCain has no clue, whatsoever, the ramifications of his health care policy. I suspect that people with the same ideology of Phil Gramm, designed this plan. I mean, I think he really doesn’t understand it. You couldn’t understand this plan and actually think it was a good idea to run on it. The guy who has been a health care adviser of his, was quoted in a paper saying that you can solve the health care problem this way: If you go to the emergency room you’re covered, viola, we have no uninsured, problem solved.

And of course, they immediately started denying that guy was an adviser. Except…he had written an op-ed for the WSJ calling himself one. So, yeah, he was an advisor alright, and my guess is he wrote this absolutely insanely devastating plan.

http://www.barackobama.com/taxes/

Under "Get the Details" Obama has more links to his specific tax plans. Looks like there is a high marriage penalty tax if you're a couple making more than $250k. If you are two singles making $200k you make out better.

I have no answer. And I really suspect that McCain has no clue, whatsoever, the ramifications of his health care policy. I suspect that people with the same ideology of Phil Gramm, designed this plan. I mean, I think he really doesn’t understand it. You couldn’t understand this plan and actually think it was a good idea to run on it. The guy who has been a health care adviser of his, was quoted in a paper saying that you can solve the health care problem this way: If you go to the emergency room you’re covered, viola, we have no uninsured, problem solved.

And of course, they immediately started denying that guy was an adviser. Except…he had written an op-ed for the WSJ calling himself one. So, yeah, he was an advisor alright, and my guess is he wrote this absolutely insanely devastating plan.

'Devasting' is putting it midly. He wants to feed us to the wolves. What the heck does he care? He'll probably be dead in few years anyway. that's the only explanation I can come up with as to why he or anyonen surrounding him thinks his plan is in anyway shape or form good for the middle class.

Does anyone really think that mcCain has anly clue about what the middle class really is ? An Admirals boy, rich wife. Heck he does not even kow how many homes he owns.

Does anyone really think that mcCain has anly clue about what the middle class really is ? An Admirals boy, rich wife. Heck he does not even kow how many homes he owns.

LOL touchez.

The fvckhead apparently until last night didn't realize that $2k would not be enough to sufficiently insure someone.

I figured. It's a huge increase in taxes for middle America. If you're marginal tax rate is 25%, and you have a some what decent plan which will at least cost you around $10k, you're going to be paying more than a grand more in federal taxes alone, right off the bat.

And that's for everyone. Whether you make $40k/yr or $150k/yr. Its still substantial in each instance.

I was glad to see Obama harp on this last night but I don't think the message is out there. McCain seems to think that a $10k plan is "designer" and suped up. Well fvck him. We can't all pay the $20/yr he pays for full comprehensive coverage.

I can't believe any fiscal conservative would rationalize voting for him. It boggles my mind.

A friend of a friend who I know makes well under 100k was saying you have to watch out for Obama's tax plan. Its like WTF?

But you have to compare. It costs over $800 billion per year for Medicaid/Medicare - that's for 100 million Americans, what will Obama and Dems universal healthcare plan cost for the other 200 million? Well over a trillion for sure, probably less than double because the elderly use more healthcare, but still well over a trillion.
THAT one initiave alone will increase the size of government by a quarter, how much do you think your taxes are going to up when that happens?

And that's just ONE of his spending plans.

Of course they are going to be sneaky and pretend that they are just going to tax the rich, just like with Clinton's promises in 1992, then when he got in and the budget came out with the largest tax increase in American history and the middle class took a huge hit and a big reason why the Repubs took the house and senate in 1994.

But you have to compare. It costs over $800 billion per year for Medicaid/Medicare - that's for 100 million Americans, what will Obama and Dems universal healthcare plan cost for the other 200 million? Well over a trillion for sure, probably less than double because the elderly use more healthcare, but still well over a trillion.
THAT one initiave alone will increase the size of government by a quarter, how much do you think your taxes are going to up when that happens?

Of course they are going to be sneaky and pretend that they are just going to tax the rich, just like with Clinton's promises in 1992, then when he got in and the budget came out with the largest tax increase in American history and the middle class took a huge hit and a big reason why the Repubs took the house and senate in 1994.

I did.

My taxes will DEFINITELY go up with McCain and will only be affected when I'm making $200k+/yr under Obama.

I think I'm safe for the time being. Obama has very explicit and descriptive tax plans (way more than McCain has provided). I'd suggest you read up on them to get grounded in reality. You WILL pay more under McCain - right off the bat at that.

Medicare also takes in premiums and stuff specific for it's operation. Like SS does.

Also, at least wtih SS you'll get something back and its an insurance. Under Mccain's plan you'll just lose $$$ in to the great abyss that is "federal taxes"

McCain: "So the point is, I want people to have tax cuts. I want every family to have a $5,000 refundable tax credit so they can go out and purchase their own health care. I want to double the dividend from $3,500 to $7,000 for every dependent child in America."

Obama: " Just one last point I want to make, since Senator McCain talked about providing a $5,000 health credit. Now, what he doesn't tell you is that he intends to, for the first time in history, tax health benefits.

So you may end up getting a $5,000 tax credit. Here's the only problem: Your employer now has to pay taxes on the health care that you're getting from your employer. And if you end up losing your health care from your employer, you've got to go out on the open market and try to buy it.

It is not a good deal for the American people. But it's an example of this notion that the market can always solve everything and that the less regulation we have, the better off we're going to be."

Personally i think McCains healthcare plan is as bad as Bush's scam social security privatization.

This is Milton Friedman's plan. Milton Friedman theorised that if employers no longer paid insurance and everyone had to shop the market for healtchare a lot more free market intelligence would come into play and the prices of healthcare would drop.

Last edited:

I heard one conservative think tank pronounce that it would cost 50 billion more a year. Of course, they said it in a way that was supposed to make it an outrage, but I was like, WTF, that's an incredible bargain.

Anyway, we're not getting universal coverage under Obama. Obama's plan isn't universal.

This is Milton Friedman's plan. Milton Friedman theorised that if workers no longer paid insurance and everyone had to shop the market for healtchare a lot more free market intelligence would come into play and the prices of healthcare would drop.
He also believed that it made the market for employment more open. People could move jobs without effecting their health care benefits.

Back