McCain's Speech

I am a hack for repeating something McCain bragged about? Okay, whatever Damo.
No. What I was saying is that I had misremembered.

I had thought that the 100% thing was a repeat of the 90% thing.

McCain gave them the 90% talking point during the primaries because of the "study" (it's a simple count, not a study) and how much he wanted the Rs to think he wasn't going to be McCain at that time. I was mistaken. Which is what I meant when I said I was sorry, it was a thread about "100% of the time" that they had taken from the first 7 votes of the 2008 Senate session....

The reality is, he really doesn't always vote party line, as evidenced by what Fact Check showed.

I don't understand the "votes with Bush" thing... does the President actually have a Senate vote? When did they change this? I learned in civics class, the president signs legislation passed by the House then the Senate, or either he vetoes it.
They take the party position, then count how many times he voted "with" that party line then say, "voted with Bush".

The most interesting thing to me is that McCain has chosen to fight on Obama's terms. He has chosen "change". He has decided that the choice America has to make is about "change" and who is the representative of real change. That has been Obama's message for the last year and a half. It is McCain's message for the last 3 days.

Yeah - a few people here (including me) got fairly ridiculed when we said that Palin took the experience argument off the table last week.

I think I heard that he used the word "experience" twice in his speech. It was kind of stunning to hear them shift themes to being the "outsider party" ready to "take Washington back."

They take the party position, then count how many times he voted "with" that party line then say, "voted with Bush".
Please Damo don't encourage him. He knows EXACTLY what it means but chooses to be purposely obtuse. He thinks that somehow that will make us all think that McCain is his own man, a maverick. In short everything that REpublicans HATED about him in 2000 but now they are stuck with so they are going to pretend to embrace it.

The most interesting thing to me is that McCain has chosen to fight on Obama's terms. He has chosen "change". He has decided that the choice America has to make is about "change" and who is the representative of real change. That has been Obama's message for the last year and a half. It is McCain's message for the last 3 days.

Right! What does that tell us? Obviously that the "experience" narrative wasn't working, but how do they know this?

Because the internal polling they are doing is telling them something different than what the media, who has a very vested interest in presenting a "this is a very close horserace folks" narrative, is telling us. That is what I think anyway.

Yeah - a few people here (including me) got fairly ridiculed when we said that Palin took the experience argument off the table last week.

I think I heard that he used the word "experience" twice in his speech. It was kind of stunning to hear them shift themes to being the "outsider party" ready to "take Washington back."
It is interesting. I do think that the experience theme will remain, but it is clear he is going offensive and working to take Obama's theme. "Country First" appears to be a direct attempt to assume and take over the "change" theme. It appears that his selection of Palin was the beginning of this theme.

I don't believe that I have seen an election where the Presidential nominee appears to be running directly against the VP selection of the other party. And with the excitement level seeming to be on the rise for the McCain camp, it may be more effective. When I stated that it didn't take it off the table, I was assuming that they were going to continue on the same track. It appears that his team has come up with a whole new strategy, took aim, and seem to have hit the excitement bone of the R faithful.

It is interesting. I do think that the experience theme will remain, but it is clear he is going offensive and working to take Obama's theme. "Country First" appears to be a direct attempt to assume and take over the "change" theme. It appears that his selection of Palin was the beginning of this theme.

I don't believe that I have seen an election where the Presidential nominee appears to be running directly against the VP selection of the other party. And with the excitement level seeming to be on the rise for the McCain camp, it may be more effective. When I stated that it didn't take it off the table, I was assuming that they were going to continue on the same track. It appears that his team has come up with a whole new strategy, took aim, and seem to have hit the excitement bone of the R faithful.

A kind of roundabout, hackish way to admit you were woefully wrong, but I'll take it...

He claimed Russia invaded and attacked Georgia for oil. This is a lie. Russia responded to Georgia's attacks on a breakaway region that sought protection from Russia.

LMAO... seems like someone needs to read up on what is going on in Georgia.

1) The conflict between Russia and Georgia is most assuredly about oil. Russia wants to maintain control of the oil that comes out of the Caspian. They do not want another competitor. Georgia is determined to connect the oil from the Caspian with the Turkish pipelines. Obviously Georgias attempts to join NATO are adding fuel to the fire as well. Which is why Russia is instigating crap by issuing Russian citizenship to citizens of Georgia.

2) That said, Georgia was dumb to have initiated military action knowing their best troops were in Iraq and knowing the Russians had already built up a miliatary force on their borders.

LMAO... seems like someone needs to read up on what is going on in Georgia.

1) The conflict between Russia and Georgia is most assuredly about oil. Russia wants to maintain control of the oil that comes out of the Caspian. They do not want another competitor. Georgia is determined to connect the oil from the Caspian with the Turkish pipelines. Obviously Georgias attempts to join NATO are adding fuel to the fire as well. Which is why Russia is instigating crap by issuing Russian citizenship to citizens of Georgia.

This sounds like some crazy conspiracy theory. I call BS on this. Why don't you go get your sign "No Blood for Oil" and march in front of the russian embassy, you pinhead! It's about oil! bwahhahahaha.

Where do these pinheads come up with this stuff?

This sounds like some crazy conspiracy theory. I call BS on this. Why don't you go get your sign "No Blood for Oil" and march in front of the russian embassy, you pinhead! It's about oil! bwahhahahaha.

U.S.A.! U.S.A! U.S.A.!!!!!!

From what I heard on CNN last night after the speech, the McCain camp has a new ad comparing the experience of Palin to that of Obama. So somehow I think we were correct in that it is not going to be taken off the table. That said, we will have to see over the next couple of months how much it is used to see if which of us was actually correct.

LMAO.... you trying to channel your inner dixie?

Right! What does that tell us? Obviously that the "experience" narrative wasn't working, but how do they know this?

Because the internal polling they are doing is telling them something different than what the media, who has a very vested interest in presenting a "this is a very close horserace folks" narrative, is telling us. That is what I think anyway.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Apparently it is indeed a very close horserace.... although to be honest, I don't trust CBS numbers, so I will wait on Gallup and Rasmussen to release their daily tracking numbers later today.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Apparently it is indeed a very close horserace.... although to be honest, I don't trust CBS numbers, so I will wait on Gallup and Rasmussen to release their daily tracking numbers later today.

That's why I said, their "internal polling". They completely changed their entire campaign, and in case you haven't noticed? Stole their competitor's campaign theme. I don't know what that tells you, who was present at the creation of Grandpa Fester, but it tells me that two and two don't equal four here. There's a missing piece.

I think their internal polling was telling them that they had low enthusiasm for McCain, and that the dems were registering so many new voters, that they were facing the serious possiblity of an electoral tsunami.

You know, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

That's why I said, their "internal polling". They completely changed their entire campaign, and in case you haven't noticed? Stole their competitor's campaign theme. I don't know what that tells you, who was present at the creation of Grandpa Fester, but it tells me that two and two don't equal four here. There's a missing piece.

I think their internal polling was telling them that they had low enthusiasm for McCain, and that the dems were registering so many new voters, that they were facing the serious possiblity of an electoral tsunami.

You know, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

I agree their shift in strategy is a move to energize their base. They were toast if they couldn't find a way to do so. Palin did it. Obamas prior selection of BIden presented an opportunity to say...."See, Obama doesn't want change, he selected an insider. Look who the "maverick" McCain chose.... an outsider who doubles as a Republican corruption ball buster... see MCCAIN is the one about change!!"

That said, if they are indeed about to release an ad comparing Palins experience to Obamas... then this new "we are the real change" strategy is a new prong in the attack against Obama.

I agree their shift in strategy is a move to energize their base. They were toast if they couldn't find a way to do so. Palin did it. Obamas prior selection of BIden presented an opportunity to say...."See, Obama doesn't want change, he selected an insider. Look who the "maverick" McCain chose.... an outsider who doubles as a Republican corruption ball buster... see MCCAIN is the one about change!!"

That said, if they are indeed about to release an ad comparing Palins experience to Obamas... then this new "we are the real change" strategy is a new prong in the attack against Obama.
She was also a clear attempt to bring in the disaffected R voter who is pissed about the overspending of the party. If they can get them on board then this is a whole new game.

Back