Museum of Atheism

I’m a chick

Which is why he has problems with you as a person. IDK why he has issues with women but a common one is problems with maternal and romantic relations in his life.

A mother is commonly the most important female person in a male's life until they mature and find a mate of their own. A normal relationship is for sons and daughters to love their parents but have a life of their own....until they need a babysitter for the weekend. LOL

Anything that skews off of that such as the narcissist link below, misogyny, incest, etc would be outside the parameters of normal behavior...and might be illegal except in some parts of Kentucky. j/k

Such abnormal behavior is colloquially known as having "Mommy issues". Jack, without a doubt in my mind, has Mommy Issues. So do a few others on JPP. I'll PM my list if you PM me yours. ;)

https://www.healthline.com/health/mommy-issues
People usually apply the term “mommy issues” to men who display some of the following traits and behaviors:

• an expectation that romantic partners will provide more than a fair share of household labor or emotional support
  • trust issues or difficulty showing vulnerability
  • a strong need for affection and approval or difficulty showing affection or rapid shifts between the two
  • “cold feet” when it comes to relationship commitment
  • a need for maternal guidance when making decisions
  • difficulty spending time with or discussing their mother
  • relationship anxiety
  • discomfort with intimacy
  • extreme sensitivity to real or perceived criticism
  • underdeveloped relationship boundaries
  • a habit of dating people who share certain similarities with their mother

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-mysteries-love/201611/narcissistic-men-and-their-mothers
Narcissism is a genuine problem in today's society.* People largely make choices on the basis of their own interests and well being. Doing so makes sense in some cases but not others. Choosing a career on the basis of your preferences and likes and dislikes is much better than choosing a career on the basis of your parents' preferences and likes and dislikes. But there are also cases where narcissism is not backed up by any good reasons. Choosing to go to a movie rather than paying your grandmother who is in hospice care one last visit is selfish and ungrounded.

Although people of all genders become increasingly more narcissistic, there is a form of narcissism that seems to afflict men more than women. This is a form of narcissism that stems from a very close and unhealthy mother-son attachment relationship. Data indicate that men who were raised by narcissistic mothers have a slightly greater risk of becoming narcissistic themselves than men raised by non-narcissistic mothers.

This may not come as a surprise. We often end up being just like the parents we once despised and swore we would never become. But in the case of the sons of narcissistic mothers, this tendency is even stronger—although there are also many cases in which the child of a narcissistic mother becomes co-dependent rather than truly narcissistic.

The narcissistic mother will often start out by idealizing her son and putting him on a pedestal—almost like a display object. This will bolster the young child's ego. But unless he continues to please his mother, which is unlikely in adolescence, the mother begins to resent him, which in turn creates resentment in the young boy. The only way he can avoid feeling emotionally castrated is by building up his ego to an even greater extent.

This creates young men who always put themselves first, who feel entitled and who are dismissive of others. Their feeling of grandiosity is a facade that covers deep insecurity and existential angst.

The reason that sons of narcissistic mothers are more likely than daughters to become narcissistic themselves is that mother-son relationships are fundamentally different from mother-daughter relationships. As several prominent authors have argued, raising a boy as a woman is not the same as raising a girl. There comes a time when the boy will come across to the mother as a mysterious and dangerous testosterone-filled creature that almost appears to belong to an entirely different species. It is this failure to identify with the adolescent male that makes the relationship more likely to go sour, forcing the boy to find his own path in life and build up a grandiose appearance that isn't easily threatened by the mother's huge ego.

It is easy to see how the survival instinct, protection of offspring, not killing other members of your pack, are instincts honed by thousands of years of evolution.

Justice, mercy, humility, virtue, charity, universal love, the golden rule are products of deep human reflection which have been going on since the traditions of the Axial Age.

The first is evolutionary. It varies by species and the bond between the mother and progeny.

The second is civilization. New Orleans after Katrina, Somalia and several other parts of the world prove that Might Makes Right and Kill or Be Killed are still the basic laws of nature.

The veneer of civilization is thin, but strong which is a good reason to avoid chaos. People who advocate anarchy or tearing down the established order tend to think about how great the American Revolution turned out to be and ignore the fact most revolutions end up like the French, Russian, Cuban and many others. The "repeating history" thing.
They'll seek to shred their layers of law and order by destroying the established order instead of simply changing it.

The idiot advocating overthrowing the US government either don't know what they are advocating or they are lying about their motivations.

Aristotle's ethics are still taught. He is not "revered," just a philosopher.

I said almost reverence, in recognition that the word reverence was a little too strong.

There are maybe three people on this board who could even say anything about Aristotle's Nicomachean ethics without consulting google, though his system of thought was adopted by Medieval Muslim and Christian scholars. That alone is probably accounts for the survival of his notes.

I said almost reverence, in recognition that the word reverence was a little too strong.

There are maybe three people on this board who could even say anything about Aristotle's Nicomachean ethics without consulting google, though his system of thought was adopted by Medieval Muslim and Christian scholars. That alone is probably accounts for the survival of his notes.

all about the Christian religion which you are agnostic about....got it

I just don’t think there is some being controlling everything

I accept that I could be wrong

But my true thoughts are there is not

It depends on how one defines what god means

But once you go to that space it can be defined in any way

So I have settled on no god

A structure like everything else observable

We as individuals are a structure of chemicals, electric impulses and cells

It gives us the power to ponder

Amazing

The power to ponder

The greatest gift ever

Einstein was a pantheist, which is also how I interpret Sakharov.

It seems like a reasonable posture to me

Pantheism is an excellent way to look at it although, once considering the idea of multiverses or multidimensions, panentheism seems a better fit.

Both are more holistic views of reality by seeing it as all part of a singular organism. Sagan's quote comes to mind:

"A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed."

Obviously recognition of a problem is the first step to solving it. If we see the Earth, and all life on it, as a single organism then we are more likely to be motivated enough to prevent it's destruction.

In a spiritual sense, if we see the entire Universe, and anything outside of it, as part of a whole, then we are more likely to benefit from it instead of fighting it.

The more we learn about it the more we can find benefits from understanding it.

all about the Christian religion which you are agnostic about....got it

Basic, historical fact I am surprised you are not familiar with.

Aristotle's notes would have been lost to history if not acquired and used by Muslim scholars, ultimately making it's way into western Europe and into Christian Scholasticism through transmission via Muslim Spain

Basic, historical fact I am surprised you are not familiar with.

Aristotle's notes would have been lost to history if not acquired and used by Muslim scholars, ultimately making it's way into western Europe and Christian Scholasticism through transmission in Muslim Spain

uh huh. And? You like saying stuff.

Pantheism is an excellent way to look at it although, once considering the idea of multiverses or multidimensions, panentheism seems a better fit.

Both are more holistic views of reality by seeing it as all part of a singular organism. Sagan's quote comes to mind:

"A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed."

Obviously recognition of a problem is the first step to solving it. If we see the Earth, and all life on it, as a single organism then we are more likely to be motivated enough to prevent it's destruction.

In a spiritual sense, if we see the entire Universe, and anything outside of it, as part of a whole, then we are more likely to benefit from it instead of fighting it.

The more we learn about it the more we can find benefits from understanding it.

I always thought the Hindus had an interesting take on it all: Brahman, a universal spirit which everything is ultimately a part of.

It is easy to see how the survival instinct, protection of offspring, not killing other members of your pack, are instincts honed by thousands of years of evolution.

Justice, mercy, humility, virtue, charity, universal love, the golden rule are products of deep human reflection which have been going on since the traditions of the Axial Age.

My dogs display all of those emotions

Creatures who are naturally communal do

Us humans were more capable of progressing due to are ability to manipulate our world

Bipedal and a posable thumbs

Learning from generation to generation

A larger life span

Love and compassion is in many animals

Animals who live communally often do

Back