My electric bill

There is a huge difference in electricity used to keep your home at 75. Air conditioning doesn't care about the humidity. It is fighting temperature. When your nights only get down to 90 and your days are at 115 your air conditioning works a lot more than if your nights are down to 80 and your days are 100.
The reason for this is simple physics. The calculation for energy needed to change temperature includes the difference between the two temperatures.

115-75 = 40
100 - 75 = 25
It takes more energy to get your home to 75 on 115degree day than it does on one that is 100.

That's stupid.

If you set your AC at 75 it takes the same amount of energy if it's 80 degrees or 120 outside.

As long as the temp is over what the temp you have it set at the temp doesn't matter.

It runs constantly.

The last one was 221.00 and it's been consistently over 200.00 since Biden became president.

When Trump was president it was 114.00 almost consistently.

There has been no change in my energy consumption.

How is biden helping the people again?

He has made it harder for people to survive.

I am impressed, Tink.

You get your utility bill directly from POTUS!

And here I was, thinking he had nothing to do with it.

My home climate control doesn't go on in any zone unless it's over 78° or under 67º.
When it's not running on its own, it's OK to open windows in that zone.

That keeps my utility bill somewhat under control.
Try it.

It isn’t always 100. I’ve had extended stays in AZ in the summer months. It is currently breaking records. It’s enough of a difference to cause the rise in your electrical bill.

When I lived in Tucson as a kid, we had a swamp cooler which seemed sufficient to keep the house comfortable on those 90 degree plus days.

Now that Republicans are intent on making global warming worse, I don't know how effective a swamp cooler would be in relentless heat exceeding 110 degrees daily.

The last one was 221.00 and it's been consistently over 200.00 since Biden became president.

No change? My consumption has gone up along with my bill due to the heat. How many Kw did you use last July compared to this July?

Including yourself. :laugh:

Our power comes via an electric co-op. We've been here almost seven years now. Our electric bill averages around $100 a month, year round. It is slightly higher in winter as we have lights on longer. We have a/c but seldom need to turn it on. According to NWS records, our temps have been trending higher than average during this period.

Maybe instead of blaming Biden, who has zero to do with your financial problems (same thing for all presidents), maybe you should point your Cheeto-stained finger at your electric provider, Ivan Ivanovich?

I always wonder if people who left San Jose, Orange County, and San Diego to move to Phoenix come to regret it.

Gene Simmons of Kiss famously complained about California taxes, and moved to Las Vegas. He only lasted two months into the Las Vegas summer before moving back to southern California, grumbling about the relentless heat

Last edited:
I always wonder if people who left San Jose, Orange County, and San Diego to move to Phoenix come to regret it.

Gene Simmons of Kiss famously complained about California taxes, and moved to Las Vegas. He only lasted two months into the Las Vegas summer before moving back to southern California, grumbling about the relentless heat

The mountains are better. :)

I like Flagstaff Arizona, which is at higher elevation, and so presumably cooler. Great scenic landscape too

I considered buying some property there for a summer retreat. Cheaper than Colorado. In the end, my wife and I decided upon a different retirement strategy.

The mountains are better. :)

Here in New England, Mount Washington in the winter occasionally matches Mars in temperature.
If you take the cog train to the top in mid-July, it's about 60ºF.

Mountains can be pretty, however. I'll give you that.
I recommended photographing them from a safe distance.

My ex son-in-law went to Nepal or someplace like that to climb a mountain
and neatly died. My daughter married him anyway and they had a few laughs for a while.
He's not a bad kid. Doesn't do mountains anymore, from what I hear.

People who relentlessly lie on message boards are probably the type to lie to family, friends, and spouses.

Agreed, but I also think there are mental issues to consider for people who live fantasy lives online.

There are JPP members who are just being themselves and there are members who are playing a role. The Normal people, which I consider you and TOW, among others, to be members, are themselves. The Abbie Normals, not so much. LOL

FWIW, my kWh usage in July is 1,267. Last year it was 811. A 50% increase in usage is easily understood to produce a likewise rise in billing...as most Normal people would understand. :)

Here in New England, Mount Washington in the winter occasionally matches Mars in temperature.
If you take the cog train to the top in mid-July, it's about 60ºF.

Mountains can be pretty, however. I'll give you that.
I recommended photographing them from a safe distance.

My ex son-in-law went to Nepal or someplace like that to climb a mountain
and neatly died. My daughter married him anyway and they had a few laughs for a while.
He's not a bad kid. Doesn't do mountains anymore, from what I hear.

Mount Washington has the consistently shittiest weather in the Continental US. Their website is awesome with pictures of the station coated in four feet of ice: https://www.mountwashington.org/

When flying in winter, the non-flying pilot would call up the destination weather. At night on the "Hotel leg", the last flight of the day, it was fun to call up MWN's weather and pass it to the flying pilot. Usually they'd over look the 3-letter identifier and just read the METAR strip which, for MWN was always shitty with zero vis and gale force winds. LOL

This is summer at MWN: https://aviationweather.gov/adds/me...on&hoursStr=most+recent+only&submitmet=Submit
METAR text: KMWN 291350Z 28020KT 0SM FG VV000 12/12 RMK
Conditions at: KMWN (MOUNT WASHINGTON, NH, US) observed 1350 UTC 29 July 2023
Temperature: 12.0°C (54°F)
Dewpoint: 12.0°C (54°F) [RH = 100%]
Pressure (altimeter): missing
Winds: from the W (280 degrees) at 23 MPH (20 knots; 10.3 m/s)
Visibility: 0.00 miles (0.00 km)
Ceiling: indefinite ceiling with vertical visibility of 0 feet AGL
Clouds: obscured sky
Weather: FG (fog)

Translated, it's zero visibility both vertically and horizontally, temperature is 54F and the winds are from the west at 20kts. A normal summer day at MWN. LOL.

Agreed, but I also think there are mental issues to consider for people who live fantasy lives online.

There are JPP members who are just being themselves and there are members who are playing a role. The Normal people, which I consider you and TOW, among others, to be members, are themselves. The Abbie Normals, not so much. LOL

FWIW, my kWh usage in July is 1,267. Last year it was 811. A 50% increase in usage is easily understood to produce a likewise rise in billing...as most Normal people would understand. :)

Inventing an internet character and playing the part online for personal amusement is probably a fairly harmless pastime.

With some, however, it seems that they really believe that they've transformed into that character while they're online.

That's probably still harmless to others,

but it raises concern for the person doing it.

The really cool people, in any case,
are the ones too delighted with their own magnificence
to ever want to assume the role of a made up character.

I suspect that they write the most entertaining posts.

I knew it, the heat is all Biden’s fault

Mount Washington has the consistently shittiest weather in the Continental US. Their website is awesome with pictures of the station coated in four feet of ice: https://www.mountwashington.org/

When flying in winter, the non-flying pilot would call up the destination weather. At night on the "Hotel leg", the last flight of the day, it was fun to call up MWN's weather and pass it to the flying pilot. Usually they'd over look the 3-letter identifier and just read the METAR strip which, for MWN was always shitty with zero vis and gale force winds. LOL

This is summer at MWN: https://aviationweather.gov/adds/me...on&hoursStr=most+recent+only&submitmet=Submit
METAR text: KMWN 291350Z 28020KT 0SM FG VV000 12/12 RMK
Conditions at: KMWN (MOUNT WASHINGTON, NH, US) observed 1350 UTC 29 July 2023
Temperature: 12.0°C (54°F)
Dewpoint: 12.0°C (54°F) [RH = 100%]
Pressure (altimeter): missing
Winds: from the W (280 degrees) at 23 MPH (20 knots; 10.3 m/s)
Visibility: 0.00 miles (0.00 km)
Ceiling: indefinite ceiling with vertical visibility of 0 feet AGL
Clouds: obscured sky
Weather: FG (fog)

Translated, it's zero visibility both vertically and horizontally, temperature is 54F and the winds are from the west at 20kts. A normal summer day at MWN. LOL.

If it's nearby, though, people want to go to the very top at least once.
It's a relatively safe way to experience thin air as a family.

Don't try it in winter,
and for the love of God,
don't hike it on foot when you don't have to.

Inventing an internet character and playing the part online for personal amusement is probably a fairly harmless pastime.

With some, however, it seems that they really believe that they've transformed into that character while they're online.

That's probably still harmless to others,

but it raises concern for the person doing it.

The really cool people, in any case,
are the ones too delighted with their own magnificence
to ever want to assume the role of a made up character.

I suspect that they write the most entertaining posts.
Usually harmless, but as QAnon proved, potentially harmful. Agreed about concerns of such people doing it; they have unresolved mental issues.

If it's nearby, though, people want to go to the very top at least once.
It's a relatively safe way to experience thin air as a family.

Don't try it in winter,
and for the love of God,
don't hike it on foot when you don't have to.

I'd like to see it myself. Most weather stations are small affairs. MWN is a frickin' bunker.

I'd like to see it myself. Most weather stations are small affairs. MWN is a frickin' bunker.

Nobody ever called me an adventurous type, but I saw it with my family years ago.
It's safe in the summer...just cool and breezy. And there's a fun cog rail train to take you right to the top.
You have to walk the last few feet to the absolute summit, but it's not hard.

It's the only time I can remember exceeding the height of a tree line in nature, flying not included.

Back