NATO’s Scorched Earth in Ukraine | Consortium News

I don't ban anyone.

I find that ignoring them is good enough.

Fair enough. As for me, I don't actually ignore anyone, at least not with the 'ignore list'. I want to see what people say, even if I don't always think what they say is something I should respond to. But when it comes to my own threads, I'd rather not have to deal with people whose main contributions tend to just be insults of what form or another.

You do do thread bans, which is -1 to you....as I have told you.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I think of threads I make online as something like virtual rooms that are created. In most forums, you simply don't have the option to make sure that some people can't come in, but in a few, you do have that option and I certainly make use of it.

I think people sometimes forget that conversing with others is generally a privilege, not a right. The end goal is to try to ensure that there's as little insults as possible in my threads in favour of more evidence based civil conversations.

I'm guessing you're suggesting that now's the time to kick Russia out of Ukraine?

Exactly. Yet they haven’t. Which means NATO never will. Which means NATO is no threat whatsoever to Russia.
Maybe you’re finally beginning to understand.

Thread Bans....the proof of a coward.

How is it proof of that? I certainly think that one can go overboard with thread bans, but I also think that far from being proof of cowardice, it can actually suggest bravery in some cases. Every person that a poster thread bans from their threads means one less person who can respond to their post. This can certainly mean that some threads that may have gotten a response from someone in that thread ban list won't get a response at all. I remember when I started here that Doc Dutch had been great, responding to some posts and threads I made. Then he took a dislike to me and I decided that I'd rather get no posts then have to suffer his barbs in my threads.

It's certainly possible that I might remove someone from my thread ban list, but to do that, I'd have to feel fairly confident that there was a good chance that said person wouldn't engage in the same disruptive behaviour that got me to thread ban them to begin with.

Earl can suck my Dick!

I'm guessing he's thread banned you and thus your anger towards him? For all I know, one or more people may have thread banned me from their threads. If they feel that they don't want me in their threads that badly, I honestly think it's for the best. I want to converse with people who believe I have things that are worth listening to. Why would I want to converse in a poster's thread when they made the effort to explicitly exclude me from their thread?

Not sure why you suddenly think I'm an "idiot" or what you think is a lie. I certainly think that one of Russia's main goals is to be at peace and not be threatened. The main issue is what they would do to make that happen. I think that Mearsheimer's informed speculation may well be on the mark. I'm guessing you don't? And if so, why?

I am not so sure that I have a problem with DAMO allowing cowards such as you advertising yourselves by doing thread bans.

We The Better People of course would never dream of doing that.

I already addressed this notion of yours that thread banning people means one is a coward. What is this bit about "The Better People"? I see in your next post that you refer to someone called "Mistress". Who is she?

I take the time to make a carefully written post, complete with some lengthy quotes from an article written by a former Australian diplomat and journalist and this is your response? What -I'm- tired of is people like you whose first knee jerk reaction to a thread they disagree with is to simply attack the poster. I think I'll just thread ban you from my threads in the future, at least any threads discussing Russia. Then at least I can rest easy knowing that such noise won't be in my thread.

Please Threadban me! PRETTY PLEASE!

Because none of your regurgitated PUTIN Jibberish is even worthy of commenting on!

And that is all you ever have to offer this forum- REGURGITATED POOTY BRAIN FARTS! USELESS AS TITS ON A BULLFROG TO ANY AMERICAN!

FUCK YOU- YOU TRAITOROUS MOTHER-FUCKER! AND B-BYE! BYE!

Thank you in ADVANCE FOR BANNING ME!

Yes but there are indications he has plans far beyond Ukraine.

He needs to take out Ukraine first because they are the biggest threat.

These are the things we can only guess at right now.

Could you elaborate on these indications? From what I've seen, I think it's quite possible that he won't even take all of Ukraine. John Mearsheimer, who correctly predicted that Russia would intervene in Ukraine years ago if the west didn't change course in regards to NATO, published an article in late June which I believe brought up a lot of good points as to Russia's goals. I started a thread that quoted it extensively in the first post.

Here's part of it that applies to his views on Russia's current goals in Ukraine:

Rhetoric about de-Nazifying and demilitarizing Ukraine aside, Russia’s concrete goals involve conquering and annexing a large portion of Ukrainian territory, while simultaneously turning Ukraine into a dysfunctional rump state. As such, Ukraine’s ability to wage war against Russia would be greatly reduced and it would be unlikely to qualify for membership in either the EU or NATO. Moreover, a broken Ukraine, would be especially vulnerable to Russian interference in its domestic politics. In short, Ukraine would not be a Western bastion on Russia’s border.

What would that dysfunctional rump state look like? Moscow has officially annexed Crimea and four other Ukrainian oblasts – Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk, and Zaporozhe – which together represent about 23 percent of Ukraine’s total territory before the crisis broke out in February 2014. Russian leaders have emphasized that they have no intention of surrendering that territory, some of which Russia does not yet control. In fact, there is reason to think Russia will annex additional Ukrainian territory if it has the military capability to do so at a reasonable cost. It is difficult, however, to say how much additional Ukrainian territory Moscow will seek to annex, as Putin himself makes clear.8

Russian thinking is likely to be influenced by three calculations. Moscow has a powerful incentive to conquer and permanently annex Ukrainian territory that is heavily populated with ethnic Russians and Russian speakers. It will want to protect them from the Ukrainian government – which has become hostile to all things Russian – and make sure there is no civil war anywhere in Ukraine like the one that took place in the Donbass between February 2014 and February 2022. At the same time, Russia will want to avoid controlling territory largely populated by hostile ethnic Ukrainians, which places significant limits on further Russian expansion. Finally, turning Ukraine into a dysfunctional rump state will require Moscow to take substantial amounts of Ukrainian territory so it is well-positioned to do significant damage to its economy. Controlling all of Ukraine’s coastline along the Black Sea, for example, would give Moscow significant economic leverage over Kyiv.

Those three calculations suggest that Russia is likely to attempt to annex the four oblasts – Dnipropetrovsk, Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, and Odessa – that are immediately to the west of the four oblasts it has already annexed – Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk, and Zaporozhe. If that were to happen, Russia would control approximately 43 percent of Ukraine’s pre-2014 territory.9 Dmitri Trenin, a leading Russian strategist estimates that Russian leaders would seek to take even more Ukrainian territory – pushing westward in northern Ukraine to the Dnieper River and taking the part of Kyiv that sits on the east bank of that river. He writes that “A logical next step” after taking all of Ukraine from Kharkiv to Odessa “would be to expand Russian control to all of Ukraine east of the Dnieper River, including the part of Kyiv that lies on the that river’s eastern bank. If that were to happen, the Ukrainian state would shrink to include only the central and western regions of the country.”10

Source:
The Darkness Ahead: Where The Ukraine War Is Headed | John Mearsheimer

This is an ongoing theory I have and it's not substantiated but Putin already has Belarus in his pocket.

I can certainly agree that he has a strong relationship with the President of Belarus, but I think we can agree that that has nothing to do with conquest.

I believe that after Ukraine falls he will go after Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

Estonia is not really a problem for him but the other two are so a possible invasion of them or sever pressure may make them cave. Since Ukraine will be gone they will have little will power to resist.

Why would he want to invade any of those countries? For starters, none of those countries have been killing ethnic Russians for the past 8 years and they're all already -in- NATO, which would quite likely mean that NATO would respond in kind. Even in the case of Ukraine, Russia waited "8 endless years", as Putin has said, before finally determining that Europe's diplomacy on settling the issue was just lies to be able to build up Ukraine's military.

Once those are under his grasp I expect him to go after Bulgaria, Serbia and Slovakia using the excuse of Russian nationals living there.

Again, I see absolutely no reason why he'd do this for any of them. Both Bulgaria and Slovaka are in NATO, which would trigger a NATO response and Serbia actually has fairly good relations with Russia. Why attack a friend?

I believe he and the hardliners in leadership positions are trying to reform the Soviet block.

I've heard that theory before, but I've never seen any evidence for it. He's always said that his primary reasons to intervene in Ukraine was for the national security of Russia and to help the people in the Donbass region, many of them of ethnic Russian origin. I've never heard him say a peep in relation to any of the nations you mentioned. The -only- nation I could see him possibly intervening in might be Moldova, because of the breakaway state of Transnitria, which is comprised of around 29.1% ethnic Russians, the largest ethnic group in the region. If Moldova just leaves them alone, though, I think Russia will do the same in regards to Moldova. Earlier on, Moldova had threatened Transnitria with some things and Russia had growled in return, but after the growl, they apparently left Transnitrians alone.

But for all this to happen Ukraine needs to fall first as they are the biggest threat in the region.

We certainly agree that Russia's primary concern right now is Ukraine. The way things are going, however, I don't think that will be changing anytime soon.

And we are not talking all out war here, most of it will be done diplomatically but Russia will be in control.

Oh for diplomacy. I -wish- that's all that was happening right now. I just saw a scene from an episode of Dr. Who that I think epitomizes the terrible tragedy of war. It's here:

Some really good lines in it. One of my favourite: "How much blood will spill until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning, sit down and talk!"

This war with Ukraine will more than likely be the worst of the fighting which is why he went their first, to test the waters so to speak.

Did you know that he tried to resolve the civil war in Ukraine for 8 years diplomatically before finally intervening militarily? Did you know that during that time, European leaders lied to his face, pretending to actually want a peace deal, when all they wanted was to build up Ukraine's army so that they could try to militarily quash the rebellion in eastern Ukraine? Did you know that literally days prior to Russia's military intervention, the Ukraine military had increased their bombardment of the Donbass region exponentially, with strong evidence that they had been planning to try to retake it by force once more?

From all of this, it seems clear to me that Ukraine, and its western allies by extension, had been testing the waters against Russia. To see what would happen if they broke any semblance of trying to keep the peace in Eastern Ukraine. They clearly miscalculated. I'm guessing they just thought Russia would sit by as ethnic Russians were slaughtered in the Donbass region. They were wrong and they're paying the price now.

Joe was just following Putin's orders then as well....

I'm guessing you made that assertion up on the spot, but if not, by all means share where you heard it.

if you can't see it, its not my problem......

Your line reminds me of the story of the Emperor's new clothes, where it takes a child to point out that the Emperor has no clothes. As my signature says, "Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it". This is especially true when those who think they know something refuse to explain their reasoning.

I was surprised yesterday when I learned Erdogan supports Ukraine entry into NATO.

That isn't going to happen.

This is one of the reasons the Russians are there right now.

Besides, NATO members strongly oppose this as it would lead to nothing but problems.

bigger problems than what we see now?.....

You could say that:

WHY IS UKRAINIAN MEMBERSHIP SO SENSITIVE?

A mutual assistance clause lies at the heart of the alliance, which was formed in 1949 with the primary aim of countering the risk of a Soviet attack on allied territory.

It is cited as one of the main reasons why Ukraine cannot join NATO while in conflict with Russia, as this might immediately draw the alliance into an active war.

The clause, Article 5 of NATO's Washington Treaty, states that an attack on one ally is considered an attack on all allies.

Source:
What would happen if Ukraine joined NATO? | Reuters

At that point, well...

NATO is not the problem.....as Georgia, Crimea and Ukraine can testify, Putin is....

Georgia did the same thing as Ukraine- attempt to forcibly retake a group of rebels that were more closely aligned with Russia. NATO was part of the debacle, by promising to consider its bid for membership, something that Georgia still aspires to today. I know that Wikipedia accusses the rebels of instigating things, but I've found that their reporting on anything related to Russia is frequently incredibly biased. Here's a different take on the conflict:

Documentary on the war between Georgia and South Ossetia - Tears of Ossetia | Donbass Insider

I read the article, which was short, but I haven't yet seen the documentary itself.

As to Crimea, I think that Canadian American journalist Eva Bartlett did a great job of going there and reporting on what really happened there in 2014:

Return to Russia: Crimeans tell the real story of the 2014 Referendum and their lives since | mintpressnews.com

Ukraine is a corrupt piece of garbage, just ask Biden who blackmailed them.

Putin is finishing the job Joe couldn't.
Ancient history. Manafort was paid tens of millions by Putin to install a pro Russia govt. starting in '06. He got Viktor Yanukovych elected president, but he eventually fled to Russia after massive uprisings.

Then came the invasion of Crimea, and the corrupt Poroshenko was ushered into power in a hasty election. Whereas he was not pro Russia, he was filthy. The Panama papers revealed his corruption, and Zelensky surprisingly won the next election in 2019...long after Biden demanded a cleaning of Ukraine's house if they wanted U.S aid.

Get your history in order before you make false claims.

I was surprised yesterday when I learned Erdogan supports Ukraine entry into NATO.
He doesn't. He now supports Sweden's entry after finally getting weaponry that was being withheld.

Gonna be an interesting face to face with Putin coming up

That isn't going to happen.

This is one of the reasons the Russians are there right now.

Besides, NATO members strongly oppose this as it would lead to nothing but problems.
They strongly favor it now that past corrupt govts. have been replaced.

They just don't want to be forced to attack Russia as this war wages, so they'll probably wait until Putin is assassinated.

Ukraine is one of the most corrupt nations on the planet.

They are not only the gateway to Europe for drugs but for human trafficking also, their entire government is on the take.

They are the white version of Mexico.
Ancient history

Putin is all over the map for his reasons for his war, and Wagner's Yevgeny Prigozhin says he was lying about every single one of them.

Putin is an imperialist mentally living in the 19th century, and believes Russia has a right and a destiny to be Eurasia's great imperial power.
He might be one of the few world leaders who is more deranged than trump.

You must be a Putin propaganda agent, feeding dis-information to the intellectual invalids on this forum.
There is enough evidence now to satisfy the Global Majority that U.S. regime change and controlling operations in Ukraine since 2013 have been above all cynically aimed at weakening and destabilising Russia. Remembering their own viciously exploited colonial history, the Global Majority are glad these Western efforts are failing.

This snippet from the OP is laughable. It was trump's campaign manager Paul Manafort who was working for Putin et. al. to get Yanukovych elected.

Forget about all of the jokes re. Putin's success in the war, which are equally laughable.

Back