New Data Shows Hot Weather Devastating for the Endurance of Electric Vehicles

Into the Night said:
Nope. ICE cars perform BETTER at cold temperature. Denser air. Their air conditioners have the condensor located in front of the engine AND in front of the main radiator, not in back. They do not have to overcome the heat of the engine at all. Further, on cold days, the HEATER is being used rather than the air conditioner. That's free heat from the engine.

EVs DO have to overcome the heat caused by the 'engine'. Both the batteries and the motors are liquid cooled. Further, the compressor consumes battery power to run. The heater requires battery to run also. At cold temperatures, battery chemistry runs slower, reducing overall range by quite a lot.

Not to mention in cold weather, the battery 'cooling' system becomes heated drawing power from the battery to keep the temperature elevated rather than reduced. The whole idea of that system is to keep the battery at a constant, optimal, temperature.

I've lived in areas where you are NOT going to start your ICE engine car after just a couple hours of sitting idle, due to the cold.

You know how they over come that? They plug them in like the are EV's so they can provide heat to the engine areas even when the vehicle is not in use.

You do understand that Tesla claims to have superior battery and battery management systems?

Sure. They claim to, just like any marketing department.

It's the same battery, dude.

Remember, marketing is not going to try to sell their wares as 1980's technology or as an inferior product. They are going to call it 'cutting edge' or 'superior', whether it's true or not. What's hilarious is that Nordbutt actually believes the marketing shit.

Tesla and GM both use an electric heating system to warm the battery to within it's expected operating range. In looking that up, I discovered that Tesla has a sensor that will automatically turn on the car's air conditioning if the cabin temperature exceeds 105 degrees. That means, leave your Tesla out in the sun in Phoenix, it will run the AC nearly continuously to keep the cabin of the car cool.

Only until it cools down! By that time, of course, you have a dead Tesla. The battery is discharged!

The battery is only using the heater to keep it from freezing. After that, the battery is warmed while the car is driven.
It's still below optimal temperature though.

Last edited:
I've lived in areas where you are NOT going to start your ICE engine car after just a couple hours of sitting idle, due to the cold.
They start just fine in the cold. If you are going to discuss extreme cold, such as the middle of Siberia in winter, EVs won't run at all, but you can still start your gasoline car. All the heater does is warm the engine oil so it isn't so thick.
You know how they over come that? They plug them in like the are EV's so they can provide heat to the engine areas even when the vehicle is not in use.
EVs don't run at all in extreme cold. ICE vehicles do. Special pleading fallacy. Attempted proof by anecdote.

You anti-Evers are nuts. I have driven one since 2015. It has been in summer and winter. I have never been devastated by range in hot or cold times. Sometimes I get less range after a charge in winter. So what. I am not burying my odometer daily. You rightys must live in your cars. GM did a study before making the Volt and it determined the average driver drives under 6o miles a day. Over 80 percent of people would not need the ICE engine it also has.
EVs do not produce heat, so the air conditioner does not have to fight that heat sink in a car. That is part of why ICEs get shorted range in hot weather. They also get worse mileage in winter. That is a fact for all vehicles. It is not devastating.

You anti-Evers are nuts. I have driven one since 2015. It has been in summer and winter. I have never been devastated by range in hot or cold times. Sometimes I get less range after a charge in winter. So what. I am not burying my odometer daily. You rightys must live in your cars. GM did a study before making the Volt and it determined the average driver drives under 6o miles a day. Over 80 percent of people would not need the ICE engine it also has.
EVs do not produce heat, so the air conditioner does not have to fight that heat sink in a car. That is part of why ICEs get shorted range in hot weather. They also get worse mileage in winter. That is a fact for all vehicles. It is not devastating.

Spoken like a true Biden worshipper

I don't give a shit if you own an EV. If that's what you want, fine by me. Where I draw the line is the government giving me no choice but to buy an EV, and that's where the Left, including the Joke administration, are going with this. That is why I push back so hard and find every way to diss and throw negatives on them.

You anti-Evers are nuts.
Yes, I am anti-Evers... He was quite the tyrant during the COVID fear-mongering days and he is a REALLY shitty installed resident of the Governor's Mansion who refuses to do anything good for Wisconsin.

But no, I am not anti-EVs... I AM anti-EV MANDATES, however... I also oppose any regulations on non-EVs that effectively force people into using EVs.

I have driven one since 2015. It has been in summer and winter. I have never been devastated by range in hot or cold times. Sometimes I get less range after a charge in winter. So what. I am not burying my odometer daily. You rightys must live in your cars. GM did a study before making the Volt and it determined the average driver drives under 6o miles a day. Over 80 percent of people would not need the ICE engine it also has.
Still parroting the lies of others, eh?

If an EV works for you, then great... drive one... but it doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't work for me... and I get ornery whenever liberal fucks try to force their stupidity onto me.

Spoken like a true Biden worshipper

I do not know what Biden thinks about EVs. I do know you guys make up shit and lie like hell. Just don't buy an EV. ICEs will be available your whole lives. If you cannot\find one, buy a horse. The future will not wait for you to catch up.

I don't give a shit if you own an EV. If that's what you want, fine by me. Where I draw the line is the government giving me no choice but to buy an EV, and that's where the Left, including the Joke administration, are going with this. That is why I push back so hard and find every way to diss and throw negatives on them.

That is the only way to mitigate the environmental damage of ICEs. Again. ICEs will be available. You have the choice. But at some point, auto manufacturers will not be selling new ones.

That is the only way to mitigate the environmental damage of ICEs. Again. ICEs will be available. You have the choice. But at some point, auto manufacturers will not be selling new ones.

You have to have bought into the whole Gorebal Warming religious fraud to accept that reason. Come the mid 2030's the mostly solid blue states will no longer let you buy an new ICE vehicle in their state. You'll have no choice. That is government dictating what you can and cannot buy. It sure as hell isn't what the market wants, only what radical Leftist greentards do to satisfy their god, as it is a religion for them after all.

You anti-Evers are nuts.
Inversion fallacy.
I have driven one since 2015. It has been in summer and winter. I have never been devastated by range in hot or cold times.
You don't experience that high a temperature or that low a temperature in Los Angeles or San Francisco.
Sometimes I get less range after a charge in winter.
You don't get very cold temperatures in winter.
So what. I am not burying my odometer daily. You rightys must live in your cars.
No, but we have them when we want them, and I don't have to worry constantly about charging the car, and I don't have to pay so much for a car and I can fix my own car.

You can't.
GM did a study before making the Volt and it determined the average driver drives under 6o miles a day.
Government Motors...subsidized cars. Communism. That Volt is an expensive car.
Over 80 percent of people would not need the ICE engine it also has.
You don't get to dictate 'need'.
EVs do not produce heat,
YES THEY DO.
so the air conditioner does not have to fight that heat sink in a car.
Running the air conditioner consumes battery power, Nordbutt. There is no 'heat sink' to fight in an ICE car.
That is part of why ICEs get shorted range in hot weather.
ICE cars do not short unless their is something wrong with their electrical system. There is no 'range'. Unit error.
They also get worse mileage in winter.
ICE cars perform BETTER in winter, due to higher density of air. EVs don't get this advantage.
That is a fact for all vehicles.
Learn what 'fact' means. Buzzword fallacy.
It is not devastating.
You really are a whiner, aren't you Nordbutt. You also completely ignored people that DO live in States the DO get cold unlike where you live, and DO get very hot unlike where you live.
Argument of the Stone fallacy.

I do not know what Biden thinks about EVs.
Blatant lie.
I do know you guys make up shit and lie like hell.
Blatant lie.
Just don't buy an EV.
Then stop mandating them.
ICEs will be available your whole lives.
Blatant lie, if mandates exist.
If you cannot\find one, buy a horse.
I already have them. I don't intend to sell them to satisfy fucks like YOU.
The future will not wait for you to catch up.
EVs are not the future. They were developed BEFORE gasoline engine were used in cars.

I do not know what Biden thinks about EVs. I do know you guys make up shit and lie like hell. Just don't buy an EV. ICEs will be available your whole lives. If you cannot\find one, buy a horse. The future will not wait for you to catch up.

Stop your lies you know Biden is trying to destroy the gas motors and trying to force people the buy EV

Son's company car in TX is a Mercedes EQS ant it consistently loses 30% range at TX summer temps. Only 20% at winter temps of 40°. Friend lives in No Dakota and his model y tesla loses 40% in their winter so it remains garaged half the year.

You have to have bought into the whole Gorebal Warming religious fraud to accept that reason. Come the mid 2030's the mostly solid blue states will no longer let you buy an new ICE vehicle in their state. You'll have no choice. That is government dictating what you can and cannot buy. It sure as hell isn't what the market wants, only what radical Leftist greentards do to satisfy their god, as it is a religion for them after all.

It is not fraud. The temps in America are setting ALL TIME records. People are dying from the heat. Over 100 million Americans are in a heat emergency. Just fall on the pavement and you get 3rd-degree burns and wind up in the hospital.
ICEs will be around your whole life. So will the effects of global warming. The gov is saying nothing to you. Just saying after a fixed date, new ICEs cannot be sold.

It is not fraud. The temps in America are setting ALL TIME records. People are dying from the heat. Over 100 million Americans are in a heat emergency. Just fall on the pavement and you get 3rd-degree burns and wind up in the hospital.
ICEs will be around your whole life. So will the effects of global warming. The gov is saying nothing to you. Just saying after a fixed date, new ICEs cannot be sold.

So? That could be due to purely natural causes. In Arizona, one of the reasons Maricopa county is so hot is a massive increase in urban heat island effect. One of the contributors to that is an big increase in solar panels.

The Photovoltaic Heat Island Effect: Larger solar power plants increase local temperatures
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep35070

What I'm not buying is the CO2 angle.

When the government essentially outlaws ICE vehicles, they won't stop there. Next comes reasons to ban gas stations, then reasons to no allow new registration of existing ICE vehicles, etc. If they want them gone, they're gone. That is how the Left rolls.

So? That could be due to purely natural causes. In Arizona, one of the reasons Maricopa county is so hot is a massive increase in urban heat island effect. One of the contributors to that is an big increase in solar panels.

The Photovoltaic Heat Island Effect: Larger solar power plants increase local temperatures
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep35070

What I'm not buying is the CO2 angle.

When the government essentially outlaws ICE vehicles, they won't stop there. Next comes reasons to ban gas stations, then reasons to no allow new registration of existing ICE vehicles, etc. If they want them gone, they're gone. That is how the Left rolls.

You do not want to, so you simply will not. The science is clear and the evidence is piling up. We all have to suffer from righty recalcitrance.

Tell me about the solid state battery built by ProLogium among others. Great claims they make.

Li-ion batteries are already solid state.
Most batteries are, with the notable exception of the lead-acid battery.

ProLogium is just making another Li-ion battery it has the same capacity as any other, despite their claims. Li-ion provides a fixed number of joules per mole of lithium. That hasn't changed since the 80's.

Back