Obama's judgement under fire for prolonged membership in Trinity Church

Little-Acorn

Not many people believe that Barack Obama agrees with the racist and inflammatory statements made by his self-described minister and spiritual leader Jeremiah Wright. But many are starting to question his judgement in staying so closely associated with the man for twenty-plus years. It's virtually impossible Obama couldn't have know how the man felt about America, white people, and everything else he castigated so vehemently in the tapes being shown widely on TV (except on ABC, NBC, and CBS).

Obama has been running for President of the United States, and one of his strongest attributes, he'sbeen saying, is his good judgement.

A TV host asked some good questions a few nights ago. He pointed out that if he were in a church and heard the pastor saying things like that, he would get up and walk out, and not come back. The host then gestured to the camera and asked the audience, "Wouldn't you?" He then asked, "Why didn't Obama?"

He then asked, "What kind of 'judgement' does it show on Obama's part, to have stayed so closely associated with a man with such nutty and racist biases, when he had to know how strongly and vilely the man was uttering them in his church?" Churchgoers are more then a congregation. They are a community. They talk amongst themselves, and it's hard to believe they wouldn't have talked to each other about such ringing and vile condemnations of our country, the government, the rehashing of so many wild conspiracy theories with an air of total belief after hearing them from this preacher.

People are starting to question Obama's judgement, not because they feel he believe's the preacher's wild rantings, but because he stayed so close to them man despite them, repeatedly calls him his "spiritual adviser", and even hired the man to work on his (Obama's) Presidential campaign.

And Obama's wife's comments from a few weeks ago, where she said she was finally proud of her country for the first time in her adult life, begin to make more sense when we consider what she's been hearing in church for the last twenty years or so. I'm starting to feel she said them, not as a slip of the tongue, but because she really meant them. Perhaps she simply didn't realize that most people outside her circles might not agree.

Should Barack Obama gain the Presidency, that fanatical racist preacher will not accompany him into the White House. At least, I hope not. But his wife certainly will, of course, as every married President's wife always does. And it sounds like he will have a "close advisor" ready to "guide" him with more of those same sentiments, however watered down.

Most people would have walked out of any church where such crazy filth was being spread as Gospel. Why didn't Obama?

Is this the kind of judgement we want in the White House?

I use to call someone "Little Salmon"

I never thought that politics should be brought to the pulpit, but it happens, especially when human atrocities are being committed, either in the neighborhood, state or government. I believe the civil rights movement began in churches.

Now, why do you question Obama's judgment, exactly?

And maybe the Reverend's words are a bit harsh, and he could have phrased it better, but what exactly did he say that you think was wrong?

The flap over this is so far overblown; we're already in backlash territory.

I'll take the judgment that thought Iraq was boneheaded; the other 2 viable candidates in the race didn't. "Choice of church" doesn't really affect my life.

Let's make it clear, that man made racist and derogatory remarks from the pulpit, 20 years of support for that is repugnant to me.

However, to match him up McCain goes and appoints a spiritual adviser that says all of Islam should be destroyed. But I don't believe McCain ever heard such remarks while in a pew and decided that it was all okay and he should stick around, it is just a few remarks I don't agree with....

Let's make it clear, that man made racist and derogatory remarks from the pulpit, 20 years of support for that is repugnant to me.

However, to match him up McCain goes and appoints a spiritual adviser that says all of Islam should be destroyed. But I don't believe McCain ever heard such remarks while in a pew and decided that it was all okay and he should stick around, it is just a few remarks I don't agree with....

Damo assumes the partisan hackery position.

Obama could've fucked a prostitute and I'd still vote for him. Whatever it takes to get out of that war.

Damo assumes the partisan hackery position.

Obama could've fucked a prostitute and I'd still vote for him. Whatever it takes to get out of that war.
Yup. Partisan blinders will do that to you.

I've already stated I wasn't likely voting for McCain.

Interesting. I wonder who has the blinders?

Well, to be even more clear about it, Obama has had to trip over himself to distance himself from this guy & his comments. Yes, it's a longer relationship, but McCain now knows what Parsley & the other guy (can't think of his name) have said, and he has still welcomed the endorsements, because they play to an important part of his constituency.

There is no call for him to "denounce & reject," as there was with Farakhan's endorsement of Obama. Obama was STILL criticized, for not "rejecting" quick enough. And Farakhan never spoke at one of Obama's events (you can only imagine).

Still no calls for McCain to denounce or reject those endorsements. There IS a double-standard.

it's not overblown he's hanging around with Louis and his preacher of 20yrs who married him is anti-whitey. It's bad judgement. Just wait some Nagin type of anit-white speach will prob be dug up out of his senate campaign. I'd rather see it now than later as a bomb from the fossil.

Well, to be even more clear about it, Obama has had to trip over himself to distance himself from this guy & his comments. Yes, it's a longer relationship, but McCain now knows what Parsley & the other guy (can't think of his name) have said, and he has still welcomed the endorsements, because they play to an important part of his constituency.

There is no call for him to "denounce & reject," as there was with Farakhan's endorsement of Obama. Obama was STILL criticized, for not "rejecting" quick enough. And Farakhan never spoke at one of Obama's events (you can only imagine).

Still no calls for McCain to denounce or reject those endorsements. There IS a double-standard.
I called for it. I think it is incredibly stupid to let anybody near the President who would speak of the annihilation of Islam.

I was talking about this with my gf, and I also listened to some african american jounalists talking about this.

First, I can say that I don't disagree at all with the core issues that the pastor mentions: the drug war, the prison culture, the blowback from bad US foreign policy decisions. The rhetoric and choice of words was what make a lot of people uncomfortable, however.

The sense I'm getting, is that most people have no idea what the tradition is in many african american churches. And most people fail to realize, that most african americans view american history very differently than the history we were taught in high school text books. Mainstream america assumes that a certain protocol and decorum is required to be a "patriot". The requirement to be a "patriot" is bogus anyway. What the hell does "patriot" even mean? That you can't say anything harsh about america and its institutions, without being some kind of traitor. Does it mean that wearing a flag lapel pin, and never disparaging you country and its institutions makes you a patriot? I don't think so. We may cannonize people like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and the noble historical expanse of the american experience. That's not how all people view it. Other people's and their families experience in america has been different. And while I'm not an expert on such matters, and I certainly have no idea what it's like to be black in this country, the activist african american religious left evidently considers it's goal to point out and address oppression by this nation, and social injustice perpetrated by entrenched institutions and interests. They do not consider it their mission to put on the flag lapel pins and sing "God Bless America" to prove their "patriotism". I don't think the majority in this country even comprehends, or acknowledges, that some people have very different views on american history and it's trajectory through time. Some people can't even fathom that, to some, Thomas Jefferson (though his profound influence is undeniable) is not some noble, God-like figure: The-man-who-must-not-be-disparaged.

That said, I realize the political implications of this. But, I was heartened that even a well infomred, emminently centrist and moderate pundit, like David Gergen, basically said to calm down. He said that "white people" simply don't understand the black experience in america, and we are unwilling to even acknowledge that there are different interpretations on american history and the (often) oppresive nature of its government and institutions. And sometimes not even neccessarily outright oppression, but also the insidious nature of silence and inaction by those who control the power. That speaking truth to power, is not neccessarily a sign of being anti-american and treasonous.

Even Barack informs us that he would be shocked had he been there when this guy said these things.

It is very difficult however to understand how one could be a member of a church for 20 years and not know such things are said, whether or not they are said in the particular sermons you hear. Obama indeed called them "appalling".

I laugh at the "Hillary doesn't know what it is like to be a black man".

Well, pastor dude doesn't take into consideration that women received the vote much later than black men, that it was illegal to beat up black men (even if law enforcement would look the other way in places) while the "rule of thumb" still applied for women. I find it stunning that he can't understand how a rich black man might not understand what it is like to grow up as a woman in the same place he described as U.S. of KKK A.

So do you find it repugnant that after finding out that Priests not only molested children in their congregations but that the Vatican hid it, moved the pedophile priests and put them back into NEW congregations that people who are still catholics SUPPORT that behavior? Or is it maybe that people find a spiritual community, become comfortable there and overlooks and forgive the sins of even their spiritual leaders.

He's got his arm around his preacher who has a shirt with big bold AFRICA accross the front. Pretend that doesn't matter Lorax, I'd rather see his dirt out now rather than later.

He's got his arm around his preacher who has a shirt with big bold AFRICA accross the front. Pretend that doesn't matter Lorax, I'd rather see his dirt out now rather than later.

Are you admitting that saying "he's hanging out with Louis" is an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to say?

He's got his arm around his preacher who has a shirt with big bold AFRICA accross the front. Pretend that doesn't matter

Only because this is a racially predjudiced country. If a white politician had a picture with an Irish-american, with a shirt that said "Irish Pride" no one would bat an eye.

Lorax, I'd rather see his dirt out now rather than later.

Agreed. It's better for obama to deal with this now. I knew this shit would come up, and I know for a fact the GOP is going to run with this narrative in the fall, rather than on Iraq or the economy.

Not many people believe that Barack Obama agrees with the racist and inflammatory statements made by his self-described minister and spiritual leader Jeremiah Wright. But many are starting to question his judgement in staying so closely associated with the man for twenty-plus years. It's virtually impossible Obama couldn't have know how the man felt about America, white people, and everything else he castigated so vehemently in the tapes being shown widely on TV (except on ABC, NBC, and CBS).

Obama has been running for President of the United States, and one of his strongest attributes, he'sbeen saying, is his good judgement.

A TV host asked some good questions a few nights ago. He pointed out that if he were in a church and heard the pastor saying things like that, he would get up and walk out, and not come back. The host then gestured to the camera and asked the audience, "Wouldn't you?" He then asked, "Why didn't Obama?"

He then asked, "What kind of 'judgement' does it show on Obama's part, to have stayed so closely associated with a man with such nutty and racist biases, when he had to know how strongly and vilely the man was uttering them in his church?" Churchgoers are more then a congregation. They are a community. They talk amongst themselves, and it's hard to believe they wouldn't have talked to each other about such ringing and vile condemnations of our country, the government, the rehashing of so many wild conspiracy theories with an air of total belief after hearing them from this preacher.

People are starting to question Obama's judgement, not because they feel he believe's the preacher's wild rantings, but because he stayed so close to them man despite them, repeatedly calls him his "spiritual adviser", and even hired the man to work on his (Obama's) Presidential campaign.

And Obama's wife's comments from a few weeks ago, where she said she was finally proud of her country for the first time in her adult life, begin to make more sense when we consider what she's been hearing in church for the last twenty years or so. I'm starting to feel she said them, not as a slip of the tongue, but because she really meant them. Perhaps she simply didn't realize that most people outside her circles might not agree.

Should Barack Obama gain the Presidency, that fanatical racist preacher will not accompany him into the White House. At least, I hope not. But his wife certainly will, of course, as every married President's wife always does. And it sounds like he will have a "close advisor" ready to "guide" him with more of those same sentiments, however watered down.

Most people would have walked out of any church where such crazy filth was being spread as Gospel. Why didn't Obama?

Is this the kind of judgement we want in the White House?

People will vote for barack obama because of the truths jeremiah wright espouses. Of course the pundits on the jew/noahide controlled media are doing their jobs of pretending the statements are so out of order. But eveyone knows they're true. So you can choose to live in your jew created delusion, but you'll still be standing there scratching your head when obama wins.

Last edited:
So do you find it repugnant that after finding out that Priests not only molested children in their congregations but that the Vatican hid it, moved the pedophile priests and put them back into NEW congregations that people who are still catholics SUPPORT that behavior? Or is it maybe that people find a spiritual community, become comfortable there and overlooks and forgive the sins of even their spiritual leaders.
You dang well bet I did. I was far more outspoken and disgusted by the policy of hiding it and believe that it created the environment that attracted the pedophiles to the clergy.

Is this selective memory? You had to have read my scathing posts on the topic on this very website.

Only because this is a racially predjudiced country. If a white politician had a picture with an Irish-american, with a shirt that said "Irish Pride" no one would bat an eye.

Agreed. It's better for obama to deal with this now. I knew this shit would come up, and I know for a fact the GOP is going to run with this narrative in the fall, rather than on Iraq or the economy.
Calling all of "White America" the "U.S. of KKK A" is a bit more directly racist against somebody than wearing an Irish Pride shirt is.

Back