Questions for the religious

The psalmist declared that God presides over an assembly of divine beings (Psa. 82:1). Who are they? What does it mean when those beings participate in God’s decisions (1 Kings 22:19–23)?

Why wasn’t Eve surprised when the serpent spoke to her?

Why are Yahweh and his Angel fused together in Jacob’s prayer (Gen. 48:15–16)?

How did descendants of the Nephilim (Gen. 6:4) survive the flood (Num. 13:33)? What are we to make of Peter and Jude’s belief in imprisoned spirits (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6)?

Why does Paul describe evil spirits in terms of geographical rulership (thrones, principalities, rulers, authorities)? Who are the “glorious ones” that even angels dare not rebuke (2 Pet. 2:10–11)?

The Unseen Realm: Recovering the Supernatural Worldview of the Bible

by Heiser, Michael S.

Lexham Press |2015

Not all religious people are Christians.

Oh you're not butting in.. Welcome.

I too think they borrowed the myth from Sumer after the Babylonian exile. .. and I think the Gilgamesh myth is borrowed as well.. based on infrequent floods in the Euphrates River Basin... Noah was a petty king called Ziusudra.

Good intel.

Thank you for providing some much needed intellectual firepower and scholarly knowledge to this board. You would be actually surprised how much of this board is dedicated to racism, sexism, libel, and unadulterated Trump worship.

I watched some lectures recently on the Sumerians, and it gave me some much needed insight on how under-rated this civilization was on the road to human development. I appreciated your two cents, as well!

Good intel.

Thank you for providing some much needed intellectual firepower and scholarly knowledge to this board. You would be actually surprised how much of this board is dedicated to racism, sexism, libel, and unadulterated Trump worship.

I watched some lectures recently on the Sumerians, and it gave me some much needed insight on how under-rated this civilization was on the road to human development. I appreciated your two cents, as well!
If you think how young archeology is, we have only just begun to discover our past. It is fascinating to me.

If you think how young archeology is, we have only just begun to discover our past. It is fascinating to me.

You are right. It is incredible...and adventure of discovery really....

The destruction that is occurring in Iraq and Syria is especially tragic, given it place as the birthplace of civilization.

I have always thought that the worst day as an archeologist is better than the best day as an accountant....

Absolutely. I notice several articles lately questioning whether there may have been civilization before our most recent evolution. The age of the universe is incredible...and no telling what we still have to learn about our history...and the possible histories of other civilizations that may have existed here...and nearby.

You are right. It is incredible...and adventure of discovery really....

The destruction that is occurring in Iraq and Syria is especially tragic, given it place as the birthplace of civilization.

I have always thought that the worst day as an archeologist is better than the best day as an accountant....

I was fortunate enough to visit two archeological sites during my lifetime. One was in southern England...at a site where they were excavating artifacts from a very primitive society that included stone tools...and the other was a more recent (at that time) excavation of some Egyptian influence area of Pompeii.

Just got to watch people at work at both those sites for a short while...and felt a thrill that I can feel again while typing these words.

The psalmist declared that God presides over an assembly of divine beings (Psa. 82:1). Who are they? What does it mean when those beings participate in God’s decisions (1 Kings 22:19–23)?

Why wasn’t Eve surprised when the serpent spoke to her?

Why are Yahweh and his Angel fused together in Jacob’s prayer (Gen. 48:15–16)?

How did descendants of the Nephilim (Gen. 6:4) survive the flood (Num. 13:33)? What are we to make of Peter and Jude’s belief in imprisoned spirits (2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6)?

Why does Paul describe evil spirits in terms of geographical rulership (thrones, principalities, rulers, authorities)? Who are the “glorious ones” that even angels dare not rebuke (2 Pet. 2:10–11)?

The Unseen Realm: Recovering the Supernatural Worldview of the Bible

by Heiser, Michael S.

Lexham Press |2015

Ps. 82:1? Divine beings? Read the entire Passage presented in Psalm 82......the author is speaking of the men who sit in judgment of the nation of Israel as he defines this tribe of judges/priests as "g"ods with a little "g".

All that you have presented requires nothing but maintaining the text's integrity in relation to context, content and subject matter.....Common Sense.

Ps. 82:1? Divine beings? Read the entire Passage presented in Psalm 82......the author is speaking of the men who sit in judgment of the nation of Israel as he defines this tribe of judges/priests as "g"ods with a little "g".

All that you have presented requires nothing but maintaining the text's integrity in relation to context, content and subject matter.....Common Sense.

Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV)

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

(So much of psalms was Ugarit poetry.....)

Psalm 82 King James Version (KJV)

82 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2 How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

(So much of psalms was Ugarit poetry.....)

Again....read it, comprehend it. Anytime gods with a little "g" is used the scriptures are speaking of authorities less than God..i.e., MEN.... such as the Royal Priesthood or when the Israelites were sinning and taking in marriage the daughters of those who were pagan's and worshiped many "g"ods.....false idols etc., some of the men began worshiping the gods with a little "g" of their wives....false gods. (Judges 3:5-7).

Again as was said....just a little common sense goes a long way in RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. The scriptures will interpret themselves if allowed. The truth is found in scripture...there is only ONE GOD. "There is one body and one spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one LORD, one faith, one baptism; ONE GOD AND FATHER OF ALL, WHO IS ABOVE ALL, AND THROUGH ALL, AND IN YOU ALL." --Eph. 4:4-6

Read line 8 again......the authority that was the subject of this verse was Father God the Judge of the Word....with a "G"od, not false pagan "g"ods or men in authority.

When you take away the textual integrity of any subject matter you can cherry pick your own personal interpretation. A practice that is forbidden to any righteous Christian. When a Christian speaks or attempts to teach another they are commanded to speak doctrinal matters from the Oracles of God....the Holy Scriptures (1 Peter 4:11). Why? Private interpretation is forbidden as the prophets have already interpreted the scriptures by divine inspiration, ".....knowing this first, no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man; but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit..." -- 2 Peter 1:12-21

The scriptures are commanded to be used to teach, not the personal opinion of men, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." -- 2 Tim. 3:16-17

Last edited:
Again....read it, comprehend it. Anytime gods with a little "g" is used the scriptures are speaking of authorities less than God..i.e., MEN.... such as the Royal Priesthood or when the Israelites were sinning and taking in marriage the daughters of those who were pagan's and worshiped many "g"ods.....false idols etc., some of the men began worshiping the gods with a little "g" of their wives....false gods. (Judges 3:5-7).

Again as was said....just a little common sense goes a long way in RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. The scriptures will interpret themselves if allowed. The truth is found in scripture...there is only ONE GOD. "There is one body and one spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one LORD, one faith, one baptism; ONE GOD AND FATHER OF ALL, WHO IS ABOVE ALL, AND THROUGH ALL, AND IN YOU ALL." --Eph. 4:4-6

Read line 8 again......the authority that was the subject of this verse was Father God the Judge of the Word....with a "G"od, not false pagan "g"ods or men in authority.

I don't think so.. Most of Psalms are from the Ugaratic poetry.. north coast Canaanites from Ras Shamra.

Last edited:
uh.....as I recall you documented one sentence that was vaguely similar........that does not equate to "Most of the Psalms"......

Specifically Psalm 82.. but others as well.

Third, the fact that the psalm speaks of rendering justice to the poor and needy
does not argue for human judges, since the divine council terminology from Sumer,
Akkad, and Ugarit "referred originally to the political organ of a primitive democracy, a
phenomenon which can be discerned in the pantheons of various non-Israelite cultures." 8

Lastly, verses such as Isaiah 24:21 ("In that day the LORD will punish the powers
in the heavens above and the kings on the earth below") clearly distinguish between the
divine beings of Yahweh's host and earthly rulers. What this means is that the Hebrew
Bible had a definite way of distinguishing the divine beings (the powers - plural - in
heaven) from humans. It makes little sense to make Psalm 82 unclear if such a contrast
between gods and humans were the goal. Why confuse people by using elohim if you
wanted to refer to humans?

https://archive.org/stream/pdfy-KK1yU8Z4pc8MfGma/Divine Council 101 [Psalm%2082%20Overview]_djvu.txt

In regard to the topic-at-hand, could there be a more egregious example of psychological projection ...

The pot calls the kettle black.

Fundamentalists tend to think the Bible is history and science... and that it is inerrant. But the texts evolved over a thousand years (or more).. borrowing from older, surrounding cultures.

Surely that means mankind has always needed God or gods.

Back