Quote Notifications... off....

In defense of Damocles:

There are people who come here solely to harass others. Preventing them from doing this will hopefully encourage them to move on.

I'm not sure I care either way but I'm sure it will slow the forum down a bit. Have you thought about putting it to a vote?

I consider this to be a vote. If I get negative feedback I'll turn the active notification back on. Each person can go in and see who quoted them, it only changes whether you get a red notification saying someone quoted you and telling you to look...

Agreed on slow down since people won't be aware of notifications without tediously clicking through several posts of past-read ones. Ergo, they'll just give up.

Agreed on a vote too.

Again, just click on the settings link at the upper right of the screen and read who quoted you, it is still there...

In defense of Damocles:

There are people who come here solely to harass others.

Preventing them from doing this will hopefully encourage them to move on.

Agreed. They are a subset of people who solely come here to vent their spleen, bitch about their lives and blame others for their own failures.

Turning off notifications is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think Damocles misunderstood the complaint. We want to be able to turn off the notifications from individual posters, especially if they're on ignore list. Another reason is the 10 notifications limitation.

Again, just click on the settings link at the upper right of the screen and read who quoted you, it is still there...

How do I tell which are new quotes and which I've already read without remembering the time stamp?

I think Damocles misunderstood the complaint. We want to be able to turn off the notifications from individual posters, especially if they're on ignore list. Another reason is the 10 notifications limitation.

I understand what is wanted, however have no way to make that happen at this time. So, it is either we get notified even when folks on our ignore list quote us, or we get no notifications and have to click on "settings" and read who quoted us.

I pushed that to 15 now and can make it as large as we need... though it will push the likes/groans stuff further down the page.

15 is good, 20 is better. I don't care about the thanks/groans. That's only for the needy anyway. LOL

I understand what is wanted, however have no way to make that happen at this time. So, it is either we get notified even when folks on our ignore list quote us, or we get no notifications and have to click on "settings" and read who quoted us.

This is a problem on almost every forum I have been on. After you put someone on ignore then find ways around it to harass you.
I think you found a very good solution. People will realize you made a very minor adjustment, that nonetheless, helps those with the problem.

I won't be able to keep track of recent comments as easily, I don't like to be bothered with having to independently, monitor the settings webpage, and not having notifications means I won't be able to respond promptly. It's hard to have an interactive discussion in real time with someone if there are six hour delays between quotes and responses.

I hear this. And I too miss the notification. As I said, this is the feedback thread. If I get enough negative feedback I'll turn them back on, it's a radio button... easy as pie.

My 2 cents.

If you keep writing insults to someone and they never reply to you, please just stop.
Find someone who wants to engage with you.

I have had a recent bout of complaints about the Quote Notifications. I have turned off the Notification, though you'll still be able to see the quotes in your UserCP.

If you hate this, tell me here in this thread...

I love it.
Brandonpresident was stalking me.

Last edited:
Back