Rogan's Mouth Still Costing Spotify.

Rogan can buy his own platform if he wants. Look at you being the cancel queen!

Wrong. I didn't suggest canceling him at all, merely a brief time-out, right? But sure, go with your knee-jerk nonsense. It's what you Nervous Nancies do. lol

If he can buy his own platform, why doesn't he have one? :bigthink:

Wrong. I didn't suggest canceling him at all, merely a brief time-out, right? But sure, go with your knee-jerk nonsense. It's what you Nervous Nancies do. lol

If he can buy his own platform, why doesn't he have one? :bigthink:

"Unpaid time out"? For what, exactly, hmm?

Violating their terms of service, costing them millions of dollars as other artists leave, risking legal actual if some of his bullshit leads to harm/death? Nah, nothing to see here.

What terms of service did he violate, hmm?

I'm sure he has an ironclad contract.

Graham Nash removed his content from Spotify today, along with India Arie. The latter doing so over Rogan's comments about what 'real' black people are, and aren't.

Whereas this is just the start of a movement that won't end anytime soon, especially given Rogan's claim today about Ivermectin having been proven effective against Omicron in phase 3 clinical trials, ( a lie that the stoner misquoted from an article citing the opposite) this action is one of the more interesting:

Now THAT'S a kick in the dick.

WELL, THEY'RE UP TO ABOUT 1/10 OF ROGAN'S FOLLOWING....

Rogan's in serious trouble now

TA7PUi5.jpg

Well, he's already cost them $4B in just one week...so $240M per year vs. $4B in one week.

Seems like an easy call to me.
And then they bounced back over $2B.

Stock price (valuation) is not the same thing as profits.
Apple lost almost the same percentage of its valuation in January as Spotify did. Short term stock drops aren't much an issue. They are simply a buying opportunity for serious investors.

And then they bounced back over $2B

Which still leaves them in a $2B hole because $4B - $2B = $2B

It would take about 10 years for that 20% of Rogan's annual sub revenues to make up for that loss that happened in just 8 days.

So again, the math seems to indicate that Rogan is going to cost Spotify more than the revenue he brings in.

Stock price (valuation) is not the same thing as profits.

Try telling that to shareholders, and to the executives whose compensation is tied to the stock performance and subscriber metrics, not profits.

Do you know how many people have left Spotify in the last 8 days? So many that it crashed their FAQ site.

Apple lost almost the same percentage of its valuation in January as Spotify did.

Right, but Apple didn't lose its valuation because of an unforced error on their part.

Short term stock drops aren't much an issue.

Again, try telling that to the shareholders and the executives whose compensation is tied to that stock's performance.

They are simply a buying opportunity for serious investors.

I'm not sure what investor is going to buy into a company that lost $2B of its market value in 8 days because of a content creator that it platformed.

Maybe Jim Cramer can convince a few soft-heads, but he's not convincing sane people.

Which still leaves them in a $2B hole because $4B - $2B = $2B

It would take about 10 years for that 20% of Rogan's annual sub revenues to make up for that loss that happened in just 8 days.
Valuation is not profit. Shareholders lost $2B. The company lost nothing.

So again, the math seems to indicate that Rogan is going to cost Spotify more than the revenue he brings in.
No. It may cost shareholders but it won't cost the company unless people start cancelling their subscription.

Try telling that to shareholders, and to the executives whose compensation is tied to the stock performance and subscriber metrics, not profits.

Do you know how many people have left Spotify in the last 8 days? So many that it crashed their FAQ site.
No. I don't know how many have cancelled. Visiting the FAQ site isn't how anyone cancels. Spotify won't reveal the number that have cancelled until their next report.

Right, but Apple didn't lose its valuation because of an unforced error on their part.
Apple lost valuation because the entire market was down. Almost every company lost valuation because of the market turmoil so you can't assign all of Spotify's loss to Joe Rogan. It was the market as a whole. The Nasdaq had it's worst loss in a January in over a decade. Spotify is on the Nasdaq.

Again, try telling that to the shareholders and the executives whose compensation is tied to that stock's performance.

I'm not sure what investor is going to buy into a company that lost $2B of its market value in 8 days because of a content creator that it platformed.

Maybe Jim Cramer can convince a few soft-heads, but he's not convincing sane people.
ROFLMAO. The only way a company can lose valuation is because shares are sold. The only way shares are sold is if someone buys them. Your argument shows you know nothing about how markets work. Any shareholder that reacts based on a market downturn is the one that is a soft-head. Which executive's compensation is tied to stock performance? Talking out of your ass doesn't make something true. Real investors do their homework so would know about officer's compensation.

Spotify announces fourth quarter earnings today. Stocks are usually volatile prior to earnings. Spotify has not had a profitable quarter ever since it went public. But the most interesting thing that pretty much destroys your argument is that the largest volume of shares traded in the last week was a day when the stock went up. If investors were dumping the stock the largest volume would be on a down day. Not only that but the volume of stock trades isn't all that different from the lead up to previous earnings reports.

Valuation is not profit. Shareholders lost $2B. The company lost nothing.

I don't know what to say to this.

I really don't.

I haven't been talking profit at all, you keep trying to steer the conversation in that direction.

No. It may cost shareholders but it won't cost the company unless people start cancelling their subscription.

Which they have been doing en masse...so much so that the FAQ site crashed.

No. I don't know how many have cancelled. Visiting the FAQ site isn't how anyone cancels. Spotify won't reveal the number that have cancelled until their next report.

IF they reveal that number.

So what we know so far as that because of Joe Rogan, Spotify lost an undisclosed amount of subscribers (but enough that it overwhelmed the site), lost $4B in market value gross and $2B net, damaged the brand, and lost several high profile artists.

And people are still cancelling Spotify, so it's not over yet.

All because of Joe Rogan.

Seems like it would be way easier, and cheaper, for Spotify to just dump Rogan and save the brand.

Apple lost valuation because the entire market was down. Almost every company lost valuation because of the market turmoil so you can't assign all of Spotify's loss to Joe Rogan.

Yes we can because those losses Apple saw happened when the market went down earlier and before the Rogan stuff.

Spotify's loss of $2B in value in the last 8 days is 100% because of Rogan...the market was down as a whole for most of January, but then went back up the last week of the month, with the market rebounding...well, not the whole market because while the market was rebounding at the end of January, Rogan decided to make an ass of himself and Spotify.

ROFLMAO. The only way a company can lose valuation is because shares are sold. The only way shares are sold is if someone buys them. Your argument shows you know nothing about how markets work. Any shareholder that reacts based on a market downturn is the one that is a soft-head. Which executive's compensation is tied to stock performance? Talking out of your ass doesn't make something true. Real investors do their homework so would know about officer's compensation.

The CEO's compensation is most definitely tied to stock performance. Ek doesn't take a salary at Spotify, he gets paid in stock. He is eligible for bonuses based on sub growth and owns 9.2% of the shares in the company: https://www.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/spotify-daniel-ek-net-worth-14543259

You're trying to establish that Spotify's sudden decline in value is linked to the poor performance of the market for the first three weeks of January, and not because of the actions of Joe Rogan for the last week of January.

Everyone else largely saw gains the last week of January when the market rebounded...except for Spotify because of this.

Spotify announces fourth quarter earnings today. Stocks are usually volatile prior to earnings. Spotify has not had a profitable quarter ever since it went public. But the most interesting thing that pretty much destroys your argument is that the largest volume of shares traded in the last week was a day when the stock went up.

What's the saying? "There's a sucker born every minute."

Anyone dumb enough to buy Spotify stock now, especially during this, should really not be making those kinds of decisions for themselves.

I think it was Eric Weinstein I saw say that Tucker is as well....If he left FOXNEWS he would have almost the same reach....and they are standing my him.

Telling people what they want to hear, wether it's true or not, is big business it turns out.

Back