Smoking bans, lead to increased drunk-driving accidents, fatalities

Haven't they finally decided cell phones cause brain cancer?

Know. But I have. And have recently limited my amount of cell phone usage. That's why I'm not getting a blue tooth either. It can't be good for you to have all of those radio waves so close to your head all the time.

But that's not based on anything other than my observations of so many people that I've read about having brain cancer near the area where the phone is placed. To each his own I guess though.

It can't be good to have as many radio waves we have constantly moving through us....

Since WWII there is a 300% increase in non-smoking related cancers. Why? I suspect that it is all the radio waves we began to spew through the air...

Either that or better diagnostics... probably both.

Playing devil's advocate: who are you to tell THEM that they have to drive out of their way to avoid non-smokers?

Alcohol is a million times more deadly than smoking, both through drunk driving and liver failure.

That's simply untrue. A great majority of Americans drink at least occasionally, and the only people that die are a few hard core alcoholics. That's about 20,000 a year, which isn't insignifigant. But it pales slightly in comparsion to the half a million a year nicotine products kill. And only about 20% or so of the population smokes.

Know. But I have. And have recently limited my amount of cell phone usage. That's why I'm not getting a blue tooth either. It can't be good for you to have all of those radio waves so close to your head all the time.

But that's not based on anything other than my observations of so many people that I've read about having brain cancer near the area where the phone is placed. To each his own I guess though.

Blue tooth doesn't work like cell phones, you'd get the same amount of radiation whether or not you had the headset on, and the amount is absolutely trivial.

That's simply untrue. A great majority of Americans drink at least occasionally, and the only people that die are a few hard core alcoholics. That's about 20,000 a year, which isn't insignifigant. But it pales slightly in comparsion to the half a million a year nicotine products kill. And only about 20% or so of the population smokes.

75,766 is the number provided by this site:

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5337a2.htm

They go on to say that, because alcohol deaths often involve young people (while smoking takes longer to kill most people), alcohol is responsible for DOUBLE the amount of possible years lived taken away...smokers are able to live until relatively old age.

Blue tooth doesn't work like cell phones, you'd get the same amount of radiation whether or not you had the headset on, and the amount is absolutely trivial.

Can you specify more Water? Are you saying that you get more, less or the same radiation with a bluethooth than you do from just holding the cell phone to your ear?

Can you specify more Water? Are you saying that you get more, less or the same radiation with a bluethooth than you do from just holding the cell phone to your ear?

I'm not sure. I'm talking out of my ass. Let me go look it up.

I had thought that bluetooth broadcasted the signal evenly everywhere around it, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm not sure. I'm talking out of my ass. Let me go look it up.

I had thought that bluetooth broadcasted the signal evenly everywhere around it, but I'm probably wrong.

LOL! Well I am glad that you admitted this, since I am considering getting one, and wanted to know for real.

75,766 is the number provided by this site:

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5337a2.htm

They go on to say that, because alcohol deaths often involve young people (while smoking takes longer to kill most people), alcohol is responsible for DOUBLE the amount of possible years lived taken away...smokers are able to live until relatively old age.

I didn't know it was so big. I was possibly thinking of drunk driving fatalities, rather than all drinking fatalities together.

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html

Yeah that was it.

I will tell you one thing.

My family has done both of these. And by far drinking has effected my family negatively far more than my relatives dying of emphysema at 84 will ever effect us negatively.

I will tell you one thing.

My family has done both of these. And by far drinking has effected my family negatively far more than my relatives dying of emphysema at 84 will ever effect us negatively.

You're family member is VERY lucky if smoking killed them only at 84.

You're family member is VERY lucky if smoking killed them only at 84.

"Most lung cancers take decades to develop; the average age for people who develop lung cancer is close to 70, though most smokers start the habit in their teenage years. However, a decrease in lung cancer among younger people now predicts a future decrease in lung cancer among older people."

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_2_1x_
Anti-Smoking_Efforts_Cut_Lung_Cancer_Deaths.asp

Back