Social Security is not going broke .. because it can't

It only works with calcium stones. Since I get both types it actually will make uric acid stones more prevalent.

Maybe I'll give this a go.
Do you have access to a handheld pH meter or pH strips? If so get some so you can measure a range between 5 and 9 and get back with me.

Means test. It'll become an old-age welfare program and your contributions will go to somebody who couldn't or didn't save.

The funny thing is, the governmen does have a very good retirement account program for employees called the Thrift Savings Plan. You can now do TSP or Roth TSP. I am mostly focused on my private Roth through Northwestern, but I allot some money to TSP each month. It has lots of options. In addition to the pathetic G Fund, there are funds that are pegged, one to the Nasdaq, and one to the S&P. Over the last 13 years, each grew at more than 12%.

LMAO... it is the biggest reason for health care cost increases. We have become more and more obese as a country. If you think a proper diet and exercise wouldn't dramatically change the field, then you should try educating yourself.

As for oatmeal being cheap... it is... which goes against the standard BS of 'eating healthy costs too much'.
Agreed. Education on nutrition, exercise and life style management can go a long ways toward reducing morbitidy and mortality rates. So does investing in public health infrastructure and access to preventative health care.

Wouldn't it be awesome if SF published a self-help book for poor working mothers? I would so buy it!

Oh it would be such a hit in the Village! I can just see David Gregory interviewing SF and nodding in admiration at his "Counter-Intuition" theory.

Gregory: So what really jumped out at me is, a lot of poor women may say, hey I'll walk to work and save a few bucks! Seems to make sense if you are slow-witted right? But then you say SF, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you point out in your chapter "Counter-Intuition; Bitches Take Notes" that this is poorly thought out!

SF: That's right David, absolutely shows very poor judgement and long-term thinking skills.

Gregory: Right, right, so can you explain to any woman who might be watching right now, you know, give her more information about this?

SF: Glad you asked! HEre is the thing. So you are walking along to your job at the factory, thinking, yah, I am saving myself some bucks. Then you get home at 8 pm, and you right away start making excuses; ohhh I'm too tireddddd to cook!

Gregory: Right, right, and since she did all of that walking, she feels justified in saying this to herself, right?

SF: Oh yeah, she is justifying it alright. So my solution is to think what we in the educated class call "counter-intuitively". And that means, spend the extra money for the bus! YOu will have more energy for cooking!

Gregory: And not only that, but it will be harder for these women to justify this laziness to themselves, right?

SF: Oh absolutely, it will be a lot tougher David, a lot tougher.

Gregory: Okay, we've got lots more, so stay tuned for more from SF"s book when we return from this break.
Good lord Darla, you should write a book. I about heaved lung laughing! :)

Agreed. Education on nutrition, exercise and life style management can go a long ways toward reducing morbitidy and mortality rates. So does investing in public health infrastructure and access to preventative health care.

You don't need preventative health care! That is what is so great! Just buy SF's soon-to-be-released self-help book "Counter-Intuition; Mansplaining Poverty, Obesity, and Motherhood".

You can pre-order it on Amazon right now!

I couldn't be more excited if Tom wrote a rape prevention book! Which, and sit down, I hear is also in the works!

Oh 2013 is a good year for us chicks alright! It's like someone decided to put all the Christmases from forever into one year!

for the 1000th time... privatization doesn't mean Wall Street gets to invest the funds any way they wish.

Thinking that SS eliminates risk is foolish. You always have risk. It may not be market risk, but risk all the same. In this case it is political risk, interest rate risk, inflation risk... all are present under the current SS system. Inflation is protected to a degree, unless you have a scenario like we are seeing now, where real estate drags down overall inflation and everyday expenses like food, clothing and energy escalate. You have interest rate risk because the SS funds must grow at the predetermined rates or the fund ends up underfunded. You have political risk.
Fair enough, let me rephrase that then, can you show me a privitization scheme that reduces risk to the levels maintained by the current model?

Good lord Darla, you should write a book. I about heaved lung laughing! :)

I would never brag about anything other than this one talent I have, that I was born with, talent on loan from God? (heh) or something, and that is that I can write really funny shit. I seriously don't know why I haven't pursued it professionally. Instead I went into copywriting. Really not a smart decision, but what can I say? I am no SF! When it comes to the thinking and planning and all.

I would never brag about anything other than this one talent I have, that I was born with, talent on loan from God? (heh) or something, and that is that I can write really funny shit. I seriously don't know why I haven't pursued it professionally. Instead I went into copywriting. Really not a smart decision, but what can I say? I am no SF! When it comes to the thinking and planning and all.

You should do it at some point! I agree with Mott.

You're also good at writing dialogue.

I don't see the risk at an acceptable level NOW, and I don't see how you do. SS is unsustainable. Best-case scenarios have a 25% cut in less than 20 years.

That's not a best case scenario and even under that scenario future seniors have more generous benefits than present seniors.

Fair enough, let me rephrase that then, can you show me a privitization scheme that reduces risk to the levels maintained by the current model?

1) it is not a 'scheme'
2) Yes, as I already posted on here... you allow people two investment choices... Treasury bonds and an ETF based on the S&P 500. You limit the exposure a person can choose to 50% max in the S&P ETF. As they get closer to retirement you reduce that percentage.

If the market were to correct 50% and never regain a dime... then the most they could lose is 25%... which is precisely what they stand to lose under the current system if nothing is done. Given that it is highly unrealistic to think the markets would stay down indefinitely, risk is fairly well mitigated.

Dung likes to point to the 2008 downturn... well, we are already back well above the peak in 2008 and right at the all time highs of 2007. Under my scenario, those looking to retire in 2008 would not have had much exposure to the market.

I don't see the risk at an acceptable level NOW, and I don't see how you do. SS is unsustainable. Best-case scenarios have a 25% cut in less than 20 years.
I'm sorry but all the evidence points to that fact that you are simply wrong. SS is eminently sustainable and any projected short comings are easily fixed. The real drivers of our current deficits are health care costs and defense spending. SS is not. Those are facts.

Back