Starving In Ohio - No Meat To Eat

he never said he was on $40/week.

who wants fish eggs and snails anyway.
Hey, if I was spending $9 per day that would have made it so I could very well have eaten nearly as well as a king. Well, a king that likes enormously spicy food.

I've even vacuum packed my food to keep it for longer. Then you have to factor in the cost of vacuum packing your own food (and the time it takes) vs eating out as well.

Living alone makes it every hard to finish what you buy before it goes bad. Having a family and saying "I made a meal for the grandkids and it cost $3 a person!" despite the fact that kids are about 1/3 the size of an adult and eat about 1/6 the amount and you can buy in larger quantities and divide it up into smaller units.

Artificially deflating prices to make a point doesn't do anything to convince me that one can reasonably cook for themselves as cheaply as they could eat out - I could see it being somewhere on par in fact, 'cept for the time it takes to cook for yourself which could be the deciding factor.

Like I said earlier - one could probably cook and eat well for 12-15 dollars a day. Nine is just artificially low.

And FYI (something for your brain to chew on), the best deal in the fast food world: two tacos for $1 at Jack in the Box. I can get six tacos for $3. I can't make them for that. Ground beef costs a lot of money. Then you have to buy the taco seasoning, the fixings, etc.
Continue to lie to yourself if you want. No one else here is fooled by your bull shit. You want to inflate prices by demanding the comparison include the most expensive type of groceries available. The prices I included are reasonable prices for mid-quality food. Not bottom quality (bone-in bottom cut chuck) and not top quality either.

I can bake a 25 cent/lb Idaho russet potato, and you can bake your $2.25/lb "baking" potato. Add a tsp. of butter and some salt and pepper to each, and you would not be able to tell the difference in a blind fold taste test.

And why is it you think that we need to buy top-cost 9-grain bread? Do McDonalds double cheeseburgers come on 9-grain buns? Try to remember what we are comparing to. Locally, a loaf of whole wheat bread at Walmart is $1.29. I inflated that price to $2.00, which I'll bet is a high estimate. Again, I did not choose top quality, but neither did I choose bottom quality.

Ditto everything else I priced. While I would not, as U.S. Citizen put it, call my sample menu "eating like a king", I definitely maintain it is FAR better than eating a double cheeseburger, small fry and medium soda three times a day. (or 6 tacos)

And while ground beef is "expensive", try to guess how many tacos (of duplicate size and ingredients) one can make with a single pound of ground beef - especially if you buy the same quality beef you are eating from your fast food restaurant. Bottom line, a careful shopper could very well make 6 tacos for $3 at home. You can refuse to accept that, but anyone who shops regularly for groceries knows it is true.

And time is not the factor you keep claiming it is either. The longest preparation for the meals I listed is dinner, and that can be finished and on the plate in under 15 minutes. It takes that long to drive to a fast food joint, wait in line, get the food, and drive back home.

Nor is it difficult for a single person to cook in smaller quantities. Before I was married, I used to cook in larger quantities anyway, then bagged and froze the extra in one-meal packages. Don't need vacuum bags for that - unless you are keeping it frozen for a year or more. Ziplocks do just fine freezing personal size portions for a month or two, and can be reused several times. I even used to keep TV dinner trays to make home-made TV dinners for days I was in a hurry.

The fact is people do NOT have any reason, be it cost, time, etc. to be dependent on fast food. The only excuse is they are just plain too lazy.

I made dinner with my girlfriend last weekend and it took hours. And it cost $30. All we had was brats, sour kraut, sandwich rolls for buns, and some milk. Oh and the bag of coal to cook them.

Must have been some expensive Brats.
SauerKraut is about .89/can here.
Milk is not cheap, but did you drink the whole gallon at that meal ?

Continue to lie to yourself if you want. No one else here is fooled by your bull shit. You want to inflate prices by demanding the comparison include the most expensive type of groceries available. The prices I included are reasonable prices for mid-quality food. Not bottom quality (bone-in bottom cut chuck) and not top quality either.

I can bake a 25 cent/lb Idaho russet potato, and you can bake your $2.25/lb "baking" potato. Add a tsp. of butter and some salt and pepper to each, and you would not be able to tell the difference in a blind fold taste test.

And why is it you think that we need to buy top-cost 9-grain bread? Do McDonalds double cheeseburgers come on 9-grain buns? Try to remember what we are comparing to. Locally, a loaf of whole wheat bread at Walmart is $1.29. I inflated that price to $2.00, which I'll bet is a high estimate. Again, I did not choose top quality, but neither did I choose bottom quality.

Ditto everything else I priced. While I would not, as U.S. Citizen put it, call my sample menu "eating like a king", I definitely maintain it is FAR better than eating a double cheeseburger, small fry and medium soda three times a day. (or 6 tacos)

And while ground beef is "expensive", try to guess how many tacos (of duplicate size and ingredients) one can make with a single pound of ground beef - especially if you buy the same quality beef you are eating from your fast food restaurant. Bottom line, a careful shopper could very well make 6 tacos for $3 at home. You can refuse to accept that, but anyone who shops regularly for groceries knows it is true.

And time is not the factor you keep claiming it is either. The longest preparation for the meals I listed is dinner, and that can be finished and on the plate in under 15 minutes. It takes that long to drive to a fast food joint, wait in line, get the food, and drive back home.

Nor is it difficult for a single person to cook in smaller quantities. Before I was married, I used to cook in larger quantities anyway, then bagged and froze the extra in one-meal packages. Don't need vacuum bags for that - unless you are keeping it frozen for a year or more. Ziplocks do just fine freezing personal size portions for a month or two, and can be reused several times. I even used to keep TV dinner trays to make home-made TV dinners for days I was in a hurry.

The fact is people do NOT have any reason, be it cost, time, etc. to be dependent on fast food. The only excuse is they are just plain too lazy.

Lazy? Tell that to someone who buys fast food in between jobs they're working at minimum wage and 39 hours a week, without benefits. Ever wonder why Wal-Mart workers are so fat? There's a McDonalds in every Wal-Mart and they work multiple jobs many times.

Some people are lazy. Some people are busy. I always ate fast food at work because I simply didn't have time to go home for lunch and didn't have the money to go somewhere nice (or the time). Convenience ≠ laziness.

Must have been some expensive Brats.
SauerKraut is about .89/can here.
Milk is not cheap, but did you drink the whole gallon at that meal ?

Sour kraut is somewhere around $2 or $3 a jar. It's a big jar, and it'll probably go bad before we finish it. And its the only size that was available. And it was the cheaper option.

The brats are what, $7 for a pack of Johnsonville? Tax included.

Coals were maybe $10 and we can get a few meals out of them. Milk was $5 or so (little less) with tax. And it'll probably go bad too since we don't live together and she's not a big milk drinker.

That fed two people for one night, with some leftover coals, kraut, and milk. Guess we'll be having kraut and milk for lunch for a week or so to make it work out to a $9 meal.

Our Walmarts have Subway shops in them.
And I had leftover steak and salad for lunch. Very tasty with some Horseradish on the side.

"Too busy, just gotta eat fast food between shifts."
(ever hear of packing a lunch?)

$30 for bratwurst and saur kraut. "hours" to prepare?

You're so ignorant you deserve to starve.

"Too busy, just gotta eat fast food between shifts."
(ever hear of packing a lunch?)

$30 for bratwurst and saur kraut. "hours" to prepare?

You're so ignorant you deserve to starve.

Including the time we took to shop, the time it took to light the Q, the time we sat around waiting for them to finish, the dishes. Yeah, hours of work.

Lazy? Tell that to someone who buys fast food in between jobs they're working at minimum wage and 39 hours a week, without benefits. Ever wonder why Wal-Mart workers are so fat? There's a McDonalds in every Wal-Mart and they work multiple jobs many times.

Some people are lazy. Some people are busy. I always ate fast food at work because I simply didn't have time to go home for lunch and didn't have the money to go somewhere nice (or the time). Convenience ≠ laziness.

Brown bag. Make your stuff the night before, chuck it in the fridge.

I'm sure the first thing you do in this scenario when you get home from working two full-time shifts is want to make next afternoon's lunch.
When people use $270/mo to feed one adult, $540 an adult and teenage kid, no wonder they need 2 FT jobs. Cut that in half, as can be done by brown bagging and home cooking, they can drop 8-10 hours/week off their work schedule (15-20 for the raising a teen scenario) without a drop in net spendable income. That more than makes up for the (very little) extra time fixing meals as opposed to waiting in lines for fast food.

As I used to tell my kids - there are reasons, and then there are excuses.

There are all kinds of excuses for depending on fast food and other pre-made, low-nutrition, highly fattening meals.

There are no reasons for doing so.

I'm sure the first thing you do in this scenario when you get home from working two full-time shifts is want to make next afternoon's lunch.
Whether I "want" to make the lunch or not, it certainly is cheaper when I do. I therefore made the lunch because I wanted to save cash and not eat slabs of crap.

All your excuses notwithstanding, you can save money and eat better if you don't go to McDonald's for every meal. Plus, nobody who goes to McDonald's orders three Double Burger meals a day, they usually are spending $7 or more each visit, except maybe the breakfast visit. But even on that visit, unless they only order the sausage mcmuffin meal they are going to spend more than $3.

Back