Starving In Ohio - No Meat To Eat

Here is a break down for you. I increased meat prices by about 30% over local prices to adjust for local economy.

BREAKFAST
2 eggs at $2.25/dozen = $0.38
4 oz ham loaf at $2/lb = $0.50
2 slices toast at $2/loaf = $0.14
8 oz. frozen concentrate juice at $2/can = $0.25
Total BREAKFAST = $1.27

LUNCH
8 oz ham loaf at $2/lb = $1.00
2 oz cheese at $3.50/lb = $0.22
4 slices bread at $2/loaf = $0.28
4 oz Chips at $2.50/lb = $0.62
16 oz Milk at $4.50/gal = $0.56
Total LUNCH = $2.68

DINNER
10 oz. Top Sirloin at $6/lb = $3.75
Baked Potato at $2.00/10 Lbs = $0.15
4 oz Broccoli at $1.25/lb = $0.31
2 oz fresh Spinach at $1.89/lb = $0.12
2 tbls salad dressing at $1.69/12 oz = $0.08
16 oz Milk at $4.50/gal = $0.56
Total DINNER = $4.97

TOTAL DAY = $8.92

Beats your $9 McDonalds day by 8 cents, by about a factor of 10 in nutrition, and about 5 light years in taste.

Of course, one could spend a lot more, like if one insisted on unprocessed ham, which runs about $3.50/lb instead of $2. Or by having a T-bone at $9/lb instead of top sirloin at $6.

But one could also go cheaper, such as a boneless chuck at $4/lb instead of sirloin at $6/lb. And ALL items on the menu can be had cheaper through careful shopping and watching specials. Got myself two shank end hams last month for $1.29/lb. Sliced them up and froze them for future use.

You really should try doing home meals. Get a basic cook book. Plan ahead (does not take that much time) and watch for specials. Cooking is actually enjoyable and not nearly as time consuming as some make it out to be, unless you want to do super fancy type stuff. Two eggs basted soft takes less than 2 minutes, 4 including heating the pan. A 1.25" thick steak takes 3-4 minutes a side for medium rare. A baked potato in the microwave takes 5 minutes. A spinach salad - 2 minutes to wash and dry the greens, 10 seconds to pour the dressing.

You'll find you save a lot of money, you be eating a lot healthier, and you'll like the food better. The best thing about cooking for one's self is you always cook it the way you like it.

Great post Good Luck.

ib1 doesn't like to learn, but sometimes he needs to hear shit like this.

He started with 9 and worked the numbers to fit the math. Reality suffered.

You could probably eat for 12 or 15. But 9 is bending the truth.

By the bag or by the piece ?

Depends on how cheap a potato you want to eat. You can hardly call the $0.15 bagged potatoes (one) "eating like a king."

Baking potatoes come in the produce section, stacked like tomatoes, and are significantly more expensive than $0.15. And unless you're buying Wonder Bread, $2 a loaf is also abnormally low.

Depends on how cheap a potato you want to eat. You can hardly call the $0.15 bagged potatoes (one) "eating like a king."

Baking potatoes come in the produce section, stacked like tomatoes, and are significantly more expensive than $0.15. And unless you're buying Wonder Bread, $2 a loaf is also abnormally low.

Have you ever visited a Bakery Outlet store? I can get three loaves for $1.80

We get wheat bread for $1.19 per loaf.

I bake the bagged potatoes. Just don't get the gold ones, get russet or Idaho.
Wrap in wax paper and nuke. If one is small bake two.

Damn have to have a potato labeled for baking. No wonder you eat out.

Oh please. You guys are talking about bottom of the barrel bread and potatoes and calling it "eating like a king." Then you pull out "well, just go to the bakery discount store! it's like $0.80 there!" crap. Dishonest.

Why don't you go to the store and tell me how much a large (baking) potato costs and a loaf of 9-grain bread? People shop at supermarkets. Not the bakery discount store.

WOW! that is 60% higher than Damo's price!!!!

everything except the grilled food and such is higher at the small country store. You pay for convenience. Just like a 7-11 is higher than Krogers or Piggly wiggly.

I can get a Big Bacon egg and cheese biscuit at the contry store for less than the little one at McDonalds.
and they pay their help better than McDonalds too.

Oh please. You guys are talking about bottom of the barrel bread and potatoes and calling it "eating like a king." Then you pull out "well, just go to the bakery discount store! it's like $0.80 there!" crap. Dishonest.

Why don't you go to the store and tell me how much a large (baking) potato costs and a loaf of 9-grain bread? People shop at supermarkets. Not the bakery discount store.
I buy my bread at the supermarket. And it is far better than the fluff they give you at McDonald's for buns.

You are attempting to compare some of the crappiest meat and bread that it is possible to put into your body with the bread I get at the grocery store? Even the cheapest day-old stuff is better than the crap they give you at McDonald's.

I can make a double burger, drink three cans of soda, and deep-fry sweet potatoes for about the same cost as McDonald's for a meal. But the stuff I use will be better for you and taste better too.

(Sweet potatoes because I am allergic to regular potatoes.)

Plus the double burger will have more meat in it.

Somebody believing they are getting a deal at McDonald's for the crap they sell you is delusional. They are in it for the profit, they wouldn't sell it to you cheap if they couldn't make money on it.

Back