Starving In Ohio - No Meat To Eat

You can cook for less money than you can buy mcdonalds.

You want to factor in the time? Ok, while you are at that you have to factor in the health issues that result from a McDonalds diet.

In the short-term and the long-term its cheaper to eat at home.

also the gas to get to mcdonalds and waiting in the drive thru.

but for lazy asses, no dishes to wash either :clink:

The grandchildren eat at least 3 meals a day ;)
And I corrected my typo 28.50 X 3 = 75.50 /day X 30 = LOTS of cash.

We average about $110 a week on groceries for a family of 3.

Thats just under $16 a day, or less than $5.25 per day per person.

You are not going to eat at McDonalds for less than $5.25 a day.

So if IB1 "who eats three meals a day?" ate only at McDonald's, and he ate once a day, he'd be paying as much as solitary does to eat like a human.

Hey uscitizen. Long time no see. Been doing my summer thing. To the food issue, had venison (tenderized, battered, and fried in olive oil) from the woods behind the house, fried okra, steamed squash and sliced fresh tomatoes all from the little garden out back. Mighty fine and a lot less than $5.00 per person. I agree with you that you can eat at home for a whole lot less than you can eat at a fast food joint.......even Whitecastle or Crystals.

Hey uscitizen. Long time no see. Been doing my summer thing. To the food issue, had venison (tenderized, battered, and fried in olive oil) from the woods behind the house, fried okra, steamed squash and sliced fresh tomatoes all from the little garden out back. Mighty fine and a lot less than $5.00 per person. I agree with you that you can eat at home for a whole lot less than you can eat at a fast food joint.......even Whitecastle or Crystals.

Well done, leaningright. We had venison tenderloin last week. Broiled with mushroom soup over it. And the fresh veggies are the best.

I've never found it worth while to buy groceries. I guess living by myself as a student, I just saw too much go to waste and time is a huge factor in making your own meals. Opportunity cost is huge. If you've got a wife who stays at home, watches Oprah, and does nothing else then I guess it works out.

If you have a family, it makes more sense and it's cheaper because you can buy in larger quantities and less goes to waste.

I maintain that for an individual it's cheaper to eat cheap food from cheap fast food restaurants and to be unhealthy (health costs aside) than it is to buy groceries.

I've never found it worth while to buy groceries. I guess living by myself as a student, I just saw too much go to waste and time is a huge factor in making your own meals. Opportunity cost is huge. If you've got a wife who stays at home, watches Oprah, and does nothing else then I guess it works out.

If you have a family, it makes more sense and it's cheaper because you can buy in larger quantities and less goes to waste.

I maintain that for an individual it's cheaper to eat cheap food from cheap fast food restaurants and to be unhealthy (health costs aside) than it is to buy groceries.

I would disagree with your claim. I have lived solo. I ate better and saved the leftovers and made some great stuff with them.

But even if I do go along with your claim, how does it apply to the article that started this post?

I would disagree with your claim. I have lived solo. I ate better and saved the leftovers and made some great stuff with them.

But even if I do go along with your claim, how does it apply to the article that started this post?

It doesn't. I said for these women it doesn't apply because they're basically homebound and living off of food stamps.

Hey, glad to "see" ya again. I had been wondering about ya.
You can keep the Venison though I will just eat some cows and pigs.

It doesn't. I said for these women it doesn't apply because they're basically homebound and living off of food stamps.

Well, thats not quite all you said.

"You can't buy vegetables that aren't fried at McDonalds. Your comparison is stupid. And so are you.
Unless you want to suggest that poor people should be vegetarians, the point of the story is valid - meat is very expensive, and its' getting more expensive because of a lot of economic factors that are probably far above your level of comprehension since you seem to think McDonalds and canned vegetables are comparable."

Which means that your opinion (or what you are willing to admit) has changed greatly since the beginning of this thread.

So I guess I and my fellow posters have done our job. You are welcome for the education we have provided you.

Back when I was single and young. I bought maybe 5 lbs of burger, made patties ans froze in individual baggies.
It is all about eating and buying smart and planning.

It was cheaper for me to fix it myself than eat at mickydees when you got change back from a dollar for burger fries and coke.

A factoid I remember from 5 years ago. At that time McDonalds was the largest purchaser of cow rectums in the world. the rectum is 100% beef I suppose.

Back