Starving In Ohio - No Meat To Eat

Well, thats not quite all you said.

"You can't buy vegetables that aren't fried at McDonalds. Your comparison is stupid. And so are you.
Unless you want to suggest that poor people should be vegetarians, the point of the story is valid - meat is very expensive, and its' getting more expensive because of a lot of economic factors that are probably far above your level of comprehension since you seem to think McDonalds and canned vegetables are comparable."

Which means that your opinion (or what you are willing to admit) has changed greatly since the beginning of this thread.

So I guess I and my fellow posters have done our job. You are welcome for the education we have provided you.

Actually, my opinion has not changed at all. Sorry.

I'm quite sure it costs less to eat fast food and I'm also quite convinced that it's the story that told me the women are homebound and living off of food stamps and none of you boneheads.

The story is valid - meat is very expensive and getting more expensive and people with food stamps are struggling to afford it. "Starving" was a word introduced by the idiot who started this thread and has nothing to do with the story. He probably even stole that from FreeRepublic.com, which is why he felt compelled to put it in quotes.

yeah and you can get a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and eat for 3 days on $3.
Sodas are a rip off at fast food joints, a very high profit item.

yeah and you can get a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter and eat for 3 days on $3.
Sodas are a rip off at fast food joints, a very high profit item.

McDonalds sells a large for $1 now. Still a ripoff, but not what it used to be. I dunno if its a sale or something. I just happen to stop in for a soda like two days ago and was pleasantly surprised by the total.

Loaf of bread and peanut butter. Man, that's desperate.

You can get a double cheeseburger, fries, and a large soda for $3 at McDonalds. Eat me (pun intended).
That's $9 a day assuming you stop at one double (most men don't - they get two at least, three if they are hungry)

But assuming you are actually satisfied with one double burger per meal, with fries and drink, still means $9.00 a day.

For $9.00 a day I can have eggs, bacon or ham, and toast for breakfast, a meat (turkey, ham, or other) sandwich with chips and soda for lunch, and still have enough for a nice steak, potato, vegetable and salad for dinner.

Or I could have a slice of baked ham with cereal and milk for breakfast, a couple PBJs and milk for lunch, and a half chicken with rice, vegetable and salad for about $7.50 a day.

Breakfast would take about 5 minutes to fix, lunch under 5, and dinner about 20. (40 if having chicken, but can spend most of that time chilling and drinking a beer while waiting)

I can spend $9.00 a day or less for three meals, plus a half hour fixing them (about what you probably spend in travel and waiting in the drive through.) And I'd take my menu over yours any day.

And let's not mention that you probably get two doubles, rather than one for you meals. At least most males over 12 I know do so. Which means you'd be spending $12/day, not $9.

McDonalds sells a large for $1 now. Still a ripoff, but not what it used to be. I dunno if its a sale or something. I just happen to stop in for a soda like two days ago and was pleasantly surprised by the total.

Loaf of bread and peanut butter. Man, that's desperate.

You have just never had any really hard times I would guess ?

A steak alone is like $4-6. There's no way you can do all that with $9.
Here is a break down for you. I increased meat prices by about 30% over local prices to adjust for local economy.

BREAKFAST
2 eggs at $2.25/dozen = $0.38
4 oz ham loaf at $2/lb = $0.50
2 slices toast at $2/loaf = $0.14
8 oz. frozen concentrate juice at $2/can = $0.25
Total BREAKFAST = $1.27

LUNCH
8 oz ham loaf at $2/lb = $1.00
2 oz cheese at $3.50/lb = $0.22
4 slices bread at $2/loaf = $0.28
4 oz Chips at $2.50/lb = $0.62
16 oz Milk at $4.50/gal = $0.56
Total LUNCH = $2.68

DINNER
10 oz. Top Sirloin at $6/lb = $3.75
Baked Potato at $2.00/10 Lbs = $0.15
4 oz Broccoli at $1.25/lb = $0.31
2 oz fresh Spinach at $1.89/lb = $0.12
2 tbls salad dressing at $1.69/12 oz = $0.08
16 oz Milk at $4.50/gal = $0.56
Total DINNER = $4.97

TOTAL DAY = $8.92

Beats your $9 McDonalds day by 8 cents, by about a factor of 10 in nutrition, and about 5 light years in taste.

Of course, one could spend a lot more, like if one insisted on unprocessed ham, which runs about $3.50/lb instead of $2. Or by having a T-bone at $9/lb instead of top sirloin at $6.

But one could also go cheaper, such as a boneless chuck at $4/lb instead of sirloin at $6/lb. And ALL items on the menu can be had cheaper through careful shopping and watching specials. Got myself two shank end hams last month for $1.29/lb. Sliced them up and froze them for future use.

You really should try doing home meals. Get a basic cook book. Plan ahead (does not take that much time) and watch for specials. Cooking is actually enjoyable and not nearly as time consuming as some make it out to be, unless you want to do super fancy type stuff. Two eggs basted soft takes less than 2 minutes, 4 including heating the pan. A 1.25" thick steak takes 3-4 minutes a side for medium rare. A baked potato in the microwave takes 5 minutes. A spinach salad - 2 minutes to wash and dry the greens, 10 seconds to pour the dressing.

You'll find you save a lot of money, you be eating a lot healthier, and you'll like the food better. The best thing about cooking for one's self is you always cook it the way you like it.

Its wrong to eat anmals; it causes pain death and suffering,

So does the legalized abortion which you support, asshole.

This only goes to show you care more about chickens than human beings.

And I have one thing to say to that:

FUCK YOU.

:321:

There was a stretch where it was peanut butter sandwiches and ramen noodles for a few months at a time.

Broke grad school student lunch

Ramen noodles 5/$1.00 = $.20
Generic Cola = $.25

Rice and beans, beans and rice.
"Loser" sandwich --> baloney on hand. (Bread?)

Been there done that.

Last edited:
And Ramen noodles have doubled in price!
Not if you wait for a good special, then buy by the case. Last time i bought them, got 'em for 12/$1.00. $2.00/case. Bought 5 cases. Even when you're not poor, they make a decent hot quick when in a hurry.

Not quick ? You mean you cook em ?
I knew I was doing something wrong.

they were still better than the little round styrafoam cake thingys though.

Not quick ? You mean you cook em ?
I knew I was doing something wrong.

they were still better than the little round styrafoam cake thingys though.
What exactly do you do with the flavor packet, if you eat them dry? Or do you
just collect them?

And rice cakes are good with peanut butter.

Back