Starving In Ohio - No Meat To Eat

I buy my bread at the supermarket. And it is far better than the fluff they give you at McDonald's for buns.

You are attempting to compare some of the crappiest meat and bread that it is possible to put into your body with the bread I get at the grocery store? Even the cheapest day-old stuff is better than the crap they give you at McDonald's.

I'm not saying McDonalds is nutritionally comparable. I said exactly the opposite. I was using it to explain why some poor people are as fat as they are. They can eat out for cheap and the nutritional value is far worse.

Buying good bread is expensive. 'Specially since, living alone, it usually spoils before I even finish an entire loaf.

I'm not saying nutritionally McDonalds is comparable. I said exactly the opposite. I was using it to explain why some poor people are as fat as they are. They can eat out for cheap and the nutritional value is far worse.

Buying good bread is expensive. 'Specially since, living alone, it usually spoils before I even finish an entire loaf.

You can freeze half of it.

You can freeze half of it.

I've even vacuum packed my food to keep it for longer. Then you have to factor in the cost of vacuum packing your own food (and the time it takes) vs eating out as well.

Living alone makes it every hard to finish what you buy before it goes bad. Having a family and saying "I made a meal for the grandkids and it cost $3 a person!" despite the fact that kids are about 1/3 the size of an adult and eat about 1/6 the amount and you can buy in larger quantities and divide it up into smaller units.

Artificially deflating prices to make a point doesn't do anything to convince me that one can reasonably cook for themselves as cheaply as they could eat out - I could see it being somewhere on par in fact, 'cept for the time it takes to cook for yourself which could be the deciding factor.

Like I said earlier - one could probably cook and eat well for 12-15 dollars a day. Nine is just artificially low.

And FYI (something for your brain to chew on), the best deal in the fast food world: two tacos for $1 at Jack in the Box. I can get six tacos for $3. I can't make them for that. Ground beef costs a lot of money. Then you have to buy the taco seasoning, the fixings, etc.

Last edited:
Oh please. You guys are talking about bottom of the barrel bread and potatoes and calling it "eating like a king." Then you pull out "well, just go to the bakery discount store! it's like $0.80 there!" crap. Dishonest.

Why don't you go to the store and tell me how much a large (baking) potato costs and a loaf of 9-grain bread? People shop at supermarkets. Not the bakery discount store.

Yes, I bought Multigrain bread for Buy one get one at .99 on Monday.

Bottom of the barrel bread, that shit is what is dishonest. It the same stuff you get in the Supermarkets, just at discount price.

He started with 9 and worked the numbers to fit the math. Reality suffered.

You could probably eat for 12 or 15. But 9 is bending the truth.
You don't need restaurant quality, $2/lb potatoes to bake. Buy a 10 LB bag of GP russets for around $2.50 A single medium russet potato weights about 8-9 oz.

Th reality is you refuse to accept the fact that you are dead wrong about cooking from scratch compared to fast food. Check out the prices yourself if you need to. If anything I over estimated some prices because I know some things (like milk, eggs and meat) are more in places like Ohio than they are here.

If I used local prices, the total would have been closer to $7.50 at regular prices, and around $6.00 by purchasing sale items.

You don't need restaurant quality, $2/lb potatoes to bake. Buy a 10 LB bag of GP russets for around $2.50 A single medium russet potato weights about 8-9 oz.

Th reality is you refuse to accept the fact that you are dead wrong about cooking from scratch compared to fast food. Check out the prices yourself if you need to. If anything I over estimated some prices because I know some things (like milk, eggs and meat) are more in places like Ohio than they are here.

If I used local prices, the total would have been closer to $7.50 at regular prices, and around $6.00 by purchasing sale items.
My entire family of five eats for about $125 of groceries per week. If every one of us were getting this meal at McDonald's it would be $315. To say it would be "cheaper" to eat at McDonald's every meal for us is flat out wrong.

My entire family of five eats for about $125 of groceries per week. If every one of us were getting this meal at McDonald's it would be $315. To say it would be "cheaper" to eat at McDonald's every meal for us is flat out wrong.

Again with the family crap. A family of five - you're ignoring the fact that 3/5 of them are kids who eat practically nothing and you can buy in bulk and divide into smaller units, and wastage is nearly 0.

The equation changes for someone living by themselves.

Seniors discounts, coupons, and russet potatoes is "eating like a king." Okay. Thanks.

Yeah seniors discounts rock. I can get discounts on anything and I use coupons for things I use. Stupid / lazy people pay more than they have to for stuff.

And for every $100 of groceries I buy at Krogers I get .15/gal off on a fillup.

Again with the family crap. A family of five - you're ignoring the fact that 3/5 of them are kids who eat practically nothing and you can buy in bulk and divide into smaller units, and wastage is nearly 0.

The equation changes for someone living by themselves.
Those two women were not living by themselves. Even when I lived alone and cooked for myself I spent less than what I would for a meal at McDonald's for each meal I ate.

I make wickedly good soups, I refrigerated and froze them (depending) and reheated and continued to eat. I saved a ton of cash.

Those two women were not living by themselves. Even when I lived alone and cooked for myself I spent less than what I would for a meal at McDonald's for each meal I ate.

I make wickedly good soups, I refrigerated and froze them (depending) and reheated and continued to eat. I saved a ton of cash.

You lying sack of potatoes. I already said this argument is not germane to the two women on page 1. I've said it twice.

It loves seniors who piss on themselves and have to buy Depends too. It's like a fixed market/captive audience for 15 years or so until you die.

Naah, Just being alive is not worth it, I plan on taking myself out before I get to the republican stage.

But it is kind of like the youth and captive beer audience I suppose.

You lying sack of potatoes. I already said this argument is not germane to the two women on page 1. I've said it twice.
I am not lying. I had a budget of $40 per week to eat off of, and I had to stick to it or I wouldn't be able to afford rent.

Your argument is that a single person eats cheaper when they eat at McDonald's. I say bullpucky. I ate cheaper than that when I was single.

Back