The bible

Unfortunately for you they are the EARLIEST copies. We do not have anything earlier to my knowledge. CERTAINLY not full copies anywhere.

None of which survive. Ergo you have no evidence for your contention. QED.

That's a cartoon view of how the Canon came together. If you actually DID have a Masters in Theology you'd know it took a very long time and it coalesced from a wide variety of traditions extending well into the next century after Christ.

Then you will have no problem providing evidence of that claim. Oh, sorry, I forgot: you don't do evidence.

Wow. You have such a simpleton view of Christianity and its history it's hard to take ANYTHING you say seriously.

But since you have shown yourself to be somewhat "loosey goosey" with the truth I guess that is on brand for you.

Circular argument fallacy (fundamentalism). Attempted proof by void.

Remember: @PostmodernProphet claims to have a Masters in Theology. Look at his posts. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between periods, commas and ellipses. If he has a Masters degree you can be guaranteed it is from a rinky dink mail-order diploma mill. It's shameful

Special pleading fallacy. I've seen this same problem with graduates from Harvard.

Tough call. And it really does not matter, because someone (or some group) back then thought the thoughts that have been handed down. "The thoughts" are the important element. Whether there was a single individual named Jesus...or if Jesus was an amalgam of several people is almost incidental...except to those who want to have a living god.

The ancient Egyptians were into that...as were the relatively modern Japanese.

The thoughts ask people to love one another, to be kind, not to judge, not to treasure worldly goods.

Ya know...all the things that are so important to today's American Christians.

It is not incidental. You claim knowledge of the Bible, and then you discard it.

I"ll take him at his word that he apparently went to some little bible school. But he also confessed that the students were threatened with eternal damnation if they did not accept whatever conservative Protestant dogma was being taught.

Ehrman, and others who go to America's great theological seminaries at Princeton, Harvard, Yale are rigorously taught to think independently and critically. You can't get through an Ivy League seminary without learning at least four or five languages, learning the skills of literary criticism, and being steeped in history, philosophy, and ethics.

Neither Princeton, Harvard, or Yale teach independent thinking. They do teach a lot of arrogance, however.

That's my take on it as well.

I don't think of the Gospels as a literal history, and an eyewitness account of the facts.

They are probably stories intended to capture the rudimentary essence of an obscure Jewish mystic from the backwater province of Galilee. And they probably were written around 70 to 100 AD, just after the first generation of eyewitness disciples and apostles had died out to capture this essence in written form so it wouldn't be forgotten.

Again, you claim to be an expert on the Bible, yet deny it's contents.

My basic impression is that there is a huge difference between a little bible college, and the Divinity schools at Harvard, Yale, University of Chicago.
Little private bible schools are probably treadmill factories intended to turn a profit and churn out graduates who are instructed and inculcated in conservative Protestant dogma.

A Divinity school education at Yale or Princeton is a graduate level program of rigorous religious scholarship, and there is no possibility of graduation unless one has become fluent in Greek, Latin, Hebrew and demostrates mastery in literary criticism, philosophy, and ancient history.

'Expert' worship.

Do you go to a meat butcher for dental work?

Oh, you don't?

Then you place great weight on expertise as much as anyone.

There are quite a few dentist that are meat butchers. No, I don't go to them.

Trying to compare your 'experts' with someone skilled in a craft is a false equivalence fallacy. A piece of paper does not make a good dentist.

Unfortunately for you they are the EARLIEST copies. We do not have anything earlier to my knowledge. CERTAINLY not full copies anywhere.

its not unfortunate at all.......we have many copies......which were made of earlier writings that date all the way back to the original authors they are attributed to by everyone except the atheists......

Professor Bart Ehrman didn't go to a rinky dink bible school.

He has a PhD and a Masters of Divinity from Princeton University theological seminary.

where he was taught to search for the "historical Jesus" a/k/a ignore history and make shit up.......did you have anything more you wished to add?.....

Back