The bible

The oldest extant bibles come from late antiquity, fourth and fifth century.

I get the impression that any embellishments added to the New Testament occurred during the first centuries of Christianity in late antiquity, the era of the Church fathers.

There were a lot of corrupt popes and bishops in the Middle Ages, but the scribes who were charged with making hand copies of the bible were seemingly diligent about doing a good job for the most part. By the high Middle Ages it would be hard to sneak some new narrative into the bible without other people finding out about it.
See a problem?

Act 12:4

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

What makes you think I like Islam? I hate all religion.

[QUOTE = America]1. I'm certain I know more about theology than you. In my youth, I was planning to become an Orthodox priest. ] QUOTE

Since it was some 600 - 700 years AD later before Islam chose to write about fabricated human reproduction medical pseudoscience virgin Mary misnomer immaculate son of Allah Jesus the Christ conception it's fairly obvious reasoning.

See a problem?

Act 12:4

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

????.....that isn't the text......

Acts 12:4, NIV: After arresting him, he put him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each. Herod intended to bring him out for public trial after the Passover

probably.......there's always at least one Baptist in every crowd.......
The both originated with the Catholic Church. I adhere to neither.

FUTURISM

Francisco Ribera (1537-1591) was a Jesuit doctor of theology, born in Spain, who began writing a lengthy commentary in 1585 on the book of Revelation (Apocalypse) titled In Sacrum Beati Ioannis Apostoli, & Evangelistiae Apocalypsin Commentarij, and published it about the year 1590. He died in 1591 at the age of fifty-four, so he was not able to expand on his work or write any other commentaries on Revelation. In order to remove the Catholic Church from consideration as the antichrist power, Ribera proposed that the first few chapters of the Apocalypse applied to ancient pagan Rome, and the rest he limited to a yet future period of 3 1/2 literal years, immediately prior to the second coming. During that time, the Roman Catholic Church would have fallen away from the pope into apostasy.....

PRETERISM

Another counter-interpretation to the Historicism held by Protestantism was proposed by the Spanish Jesuit Luis De Alcazar (1554-1613), who also wrote a commentary called Investigation of the Hidden Sense of the Apocalypse, which ran to some 900 pages. In it he proposed that it all of Revelation applied to the era of pagan Rome and the first six centuries of Christianity. According to Alcazar (or Alcasar):

and is now a topic of concern only as a method of distinguishing one species of Baptist from the other 837 Baptist denominations.......
The majority of Baptist have gone for the fallacy of futurism. Futurism and Preterism were both developed to take scrutiny away from the Catholic church.

Last edited:
Since how you punctuate a sentence make a great deal of difference how that sentence is to be understood. What is your understanding of how the Bible is punctuated.

Last edited:
Back