The difference between philosophy and religion.

Correct. Cypress is an authoritarian.

What is your explanation for having stalked and harangued me for months about not reading the original Aristotle canon, when you routinely hold court on world religions though your only education in religion is attending Sunday School with the kiddies.

What is your explanation for having stalked and harangued me for months about not reading the original Aristotle canon, when you routinely hold court on world religions though your only education in religion is attending Sunday School with the kiddies.

My advice is avoid organized religion and seek a personal relationship with your creator!

My advice is avoid organized religion and seek a personal relationship with your creator!
separate issue

I am interested in gaining a working knowledge of the philosophy, moral vision, and theology of all the major world religions.

There are probably millions of atheists, agnostics, and bible thumpers who share that same curiosity. Irrespective of faith in any particular higher power.

separate issue

I am interested in gaining a working knowledge of the philosophy, moral vision, and theology of all the major world religions.

There are probably millions of atheists, agnostics, and bible thumpers who share that same curiosity. Irrespective of faith in any particular higher power.

To what in? You're interested in Religion but not God?

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
Including intellectual thought in your assertion is incorrect. If someone presents an analysis or observation that leads you to change your opinion or belief, that is an intellectual process on both sides. This has happened over the years.

I guess what I meant is that nobody here has ever made any original contributions to the fields of philosophy, philosophical thought, and human intellectual achievement.

That takes expertise, genuis, and originality, which only applies to about 0.01% of the human population. There is ten orders of magnitude difference between Bertrand Russell and the smartest person to have ever posted at JPP

The knowledge we have as garden variety human beings is entirely derivative and is based on what we have read subject matter experts write/say, as filtered through our own personal experiences.

That's your opinion, Cy. One does not have to be recognized by the "official" standards or individuals that determine expertise, genius and originality. Case in point, civilizations that existed LONG before the Greeks came on the scene had their own philosophy of life....they existed (and some still exist) all over the continent of Africa and what we now call the "middle east". Here in America, the native people who were here for a millennia had their philosophy and such. Intellectual process was evident in the verbal and written histories, architecture, way of life. By your standards, these things don't exist unless the "experts" tell you otherwise. Reality, however, could care less what the "experts" think.

Back