The difference between philosophy and religion.

For us normal people, almost all of our knowledge in mathematics, history, philosophy, economics is derivative and acquired from teachers, textbooks, acknowledged experts, articles, videos, etc.

Universities only give PhDs in philosophy, history, and math to people who actually make truly original contributions to human knowledge in those fields.

Bachelor's and Masters degrees are just given to people who demostrate basic competency in integrating subject matter knowledge and knowledge of research methods.

Moral of the story-- The PhD is a high bar for true intellectual originality.

I disagree, hanging around school for a fancy piece of paper doesn't make you a bit smarter,than layman that do their own research.
Saw it a lot in my Civil War Roundtable!
Many laymen did 10 times the research than those chasing a grade.

Moderator harassing users. A sure way to make people stop using this place. Forum about half what it used to be
I’m also a user and I have a right to engage you. If you dislike the forum, why do you post here? Moderators have always been able to post their opinions, troll and harass if that’s what you call what you’re doing to Cypress. I’m sure you remember Billy telling people to kill themselves?

I disagree, hanging around school for a fancy piece of paper doesn't make you a bit smarter,than layman that do their own research.
Saw it a lot in my Civil War Roundtable!
Many laymen did 10 times the research than those chasing a grade.

I wasn't talking about smart people.

I explicitly wrote about true intellectual genuis capable of making original contributions to the realm of human philosophical knowledge and intellectual thought. Post #130 for reference to what I actually wrote.

You can't throw a rock without hitting a reasonably smart person. But people who make original contributions to advance human philosophical thought are rare.

This paradoxical life

One aim of philosophy is to help us make sense of our lives, and one way philosophy has tried to help in this regard is through logic. Formal logic is a perhaps overly literal approach, where ‘making sense’ is cashed out in austere mathematical symbolism. But sometimes our lives don’t make sense, not even when we think very hard and carefully about them. Where is logic then? What if, sometimes, the world truly is senseless? What if there are problems that simply cannot be resolved consistently?

https://aeon.co/essays/paraconsistent-logics-find-structure-in-our-inconsistent-world

Can you believe a moron claimed there was no overlap between religion & philosophy?

Standford University Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Duns Scotus - Christian Philosophy

John Duns Scotus (1265/66–1308) was one of the most important and influential philosopher-theologians of the High Middle Ages. His brilliantly complex and nuanced thought, which earned him the nickname “the Subtle Doctor,” left a mark on discussions of such disparate topics as the semantics of religious language, the problem of universals, divine illumination, and the nature of human freedom. This essay first lays out what is known about Scotus’s life and the dating of his works. It then offers an overview of some of his key positions in four main areas of philosophy: natural theology, metaphysics, the theory of knowledge, and ethics and moral psychology.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/duns-scotus/

Duns Scotus - Christian Philosophy

John Duns Scotus (1265/66–1308) was one of the most important and influential philosopher-theologians of the High Middle Ages. His brilliantly complex and nuanced thought, which earned him the nickname “the Subtle Doctor,” left a mark on discussions of such disparate topics as the semantics of religious language, the problem of universals, divine illumination, and the nature of human freedom. This essay first lays out what is known about Scotus’s life and the dating of his works. It then offers an overview of some of his key positions in four main areas of philosophy: natural theology, metaphysics, the theory of knowledge, and ethics and moral psychology.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/duns-scotus/

You are a pathological liar.

Can you believe a moron claimed there is no overlap between religion & philosophy?

Daoist Philosophy

Daoism designates both a philosophical tradition and an organized religion. Philosophical Daoism traces its origins to Laozi, an extraordinary thinker who flourished during the sixth century B.C.E.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/laozi/

The original exchange was about my comment stating that nobody on this board has ever made an original contribution to human philosophical and intellectual thought.

Making an original philosophical and intellectual contribution to humanity is a really high bar to clear.

You responded with something about an "intellectual process", which I am not even sure what that means or how it relates to my post. Changing someone's opinion is an original contribution to human philosophical thought? Umm, okay.

You then subsequently started writing about the invention of utensils, swords, and the use of fire.

I do not know what utensils, swords and fire use have to do with my comment about original philosophical contributions.

But if you want to call the inventors of utensils and the Viking sword geniuses, I don't have a problem with that. None at all. Human ingenuity is certainly expressed in novel and important technological leaps.

--> In my opinion, human technological innovations are just as important as human philosophical and intellectual contributions, if not more so. The invention of the Clovis point or the lanteen sail are probably more important than anything Friedrich Nietzsche ever did.

But I didn't write anything about technology

Moral of the story: there have been some reasonably smart people on justplainpolitics com over the past 16 years. But I have never seen any intellectual giants here who are making truly original contributions to human philosophical and intellectual thought.

^^ That is just my opinion, and that is what I wrote in Post #130. I am not telling you what you need to believe

You can repeat your dodge until doomsday, CY (and the reader can clik on the arrows for the chronology of the posts to see how you left out one of your response)...but your OPINION is based on an inaccurate assessment of ALL exchanges on this board over the years. I and others have expressed new insights and have changed some personal beliefs and views due to an intellectual exchange (i.e., debate). I've read where some have changed how they vote....by which they've contributed to societal change. Given recent political turmoil, that is affecting human philosophy and intellectual thought. Just because no one THAT YOU KNOW OF from these boards has published some ground breaking tome on philosophy or in the realm of "intellectual" ruminations does not mean they have not made contributions. This is an anonymous format. And I'm not referring to the silly and extreme wonks on both sides of the debating fence. I'm talking about people of whom adequately challenged you in debate...people that made you stop and think.

As I explained to you earlier, you have CIVILIZATIONS that exist because of unnamed and undocumented individuals contributed their intellectual and philosophical "genius". Case in point, ancient history of philosophers from the Continent of Africa influenced the world....yet only a relative few "scholars" published on this over the generations. YOU and I weren't taught this, but it exists.

So it's obvious that you can't concede to the point I made. No point in wasting time on the insipidly stubborn. Unless you've got something new to add, I'll be moving on.

I wasn't talking about smart people.

I explicitly wrote about true intellectual genuis capable of making original contributions to the realm of human philosophical knowledge and intellectual thought. Post #130 for reference to what I actually wrote.

You can't throw a rock without hitting a reasonably smart person. But people who make original contributions to advance human philosophical thought are rare.

And why do you think you can recognize "true intellectual genius"?

You can repeat your dodge until doomsday, CY (and the reader can clik on the arrows for the chronology of the posts to see how you left out one of your response)...but your OPINION is based on an inaccurate assessment of ALL exchanges on this board over the years. I and others have expressed new insights and have changed some personal beliefs and views due to an intellectual exchange (i.e., debate). I've read where some have changed how they vote....by which they've contributed to societal change. Given recent political turmoil, that is affecting human philosophy and intellectual thought. Just because no one THAT YOU KNOW OF from these boards has published some ground breaking tome on philosophy or in the realm of "intellectual" ruminations does not mean they have not made contributions. This is an anonymous format. And I'm not referring to the silly and extreme wonks on both sides of the debating fence. I'm talking about people of whom adequately challenged you in debate...people that made you stop and think.

As I explained to you earlier, you have CIVILIZATIONS that exist because of unnamed and undocumented individuals contributed their intellectual and philosophical "genius". Case in point, ancient history of philosophers from the Continent of Africa influenced the world....yet only a relative few "scholars" published on this over the generations. YOU and I weren't taught this, but it exists.

So it's obvious that you can't concede to the point I made. No point in wasting time on the insipidly stubborn. Unless you've got something new to add, I'll be moving on.

You won't find anywhere I mentioned geography ( Africa vs Europe), nor did I write anywhere that human intellectual achievement were limited to dusty scrolls and published books. I certainly didn't bring up technological achievement, aka utensils and viking swords (your themes).

Those were all things you brought up.

I already discussed the things you wanted brought to the table.

I already agreed that technological achievement is at least as important as intellectual achievement

I agree that intellectual achievement has occurred in Africa, Europe and Asia. In fact, the discourse on this thread unequivocally shows I am the only poster here to repeatedly go outside the confines of western European tradition of intellectual thought, to highlight out other world traditions.

I do think true original intellectual achievement and important technological innovation tends to be driven by a relatively small number of exceptional and creative people . I don't think this thread has any posters who have independently made original contributions to advance humanity's philosophical knowledge (my post 130), but if you think they have, that's fine.

Last edited:
Back