The difference between philosophy and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
You can repeat your dodge until doomsday, CY (and the reader can clik on the arrows for the chronology of the posts to see how you left out one of your response)...but your OPINION is based on an inaccurate assessment of ALL exchanges on this board over the years. I and others have expressed new insights and have changed some personal beliefs and views due to an intellectual exchange (i.e., debate). I've read where some have changed how they vote....by which they've contributed to societal change. Given recent political turmoil, that is affecting human philosophy and intellectual thought. Just because no one THAT YOU KNOW OF from these boards has published some ground breaking tome on philosophy or in the realm of "intellectual" ruminations does not mean they have not made contributions. This is an anonymous format. And I'm not referring to the silly and extreme wonks on both sides of the debating fence. I'm talking about people of whom adequately challenged you in debate...people that made you stop and think.

As I explained to you earlier, you have CIVILIZATIONS that exist because of unnamed and undocumented individuals contributed their intellectual and philosophical "genius". Case in point, ancient history of philosophers from the Continent of Africa influenced the world....yet only a relative few "scholars" published on this over the generations. YOU and I weren't taught this, but it exists.

So it's obvious that you can't concede to the point I made. No point in wasting time on the insipidly stubborn. Unless you've got something new to add, I'll be moving on.

You won't find anywhere I mentioned geography ( Africa vs Europe), nor did I write anywhere that human intellectual achievement were limited to dusty scrolls and published books. I certainly didn't bring up technological achievement, aka utensils and viking swords (your themes).

Those were all things you brought up.

I already discussed the things you wanted brought to the table.

I already agreed that technological achievement is at least as important as intellectual achievement

I agree that intellectual achievement has occurred in Africa, Europe and Asia. In fact, the discourse on this thread unequivocally shows I am the only poster here to repeatedly go outside the confines of western European tradition of intellectual thought, to highlight out other world traditions.

I do think true original intellectual achievement and important technological innovation tends to be driven by a relatively small number of exceptional and creative people . I don't think this thread has any posters who have independently made original contributions to advance humanity's philosophical knowledge (my post 130), but if you think they have, that's fine.

Cut the bullshit, CY.....I entered the references to other cultures to give a demonstration as to how you were WRONG! I explained why and didn't accuse you of anything other than being wrong on a specific point (Post #133), so this dumb ruse of yours to pretend you don't understand that is only fooling the guy you see in the mirror.

And here's the kicker; first you state You won't find anywhere I mentioned geography ( Africa vs Europe)

Then you say I am the only poster here to repeatedly go outside the confines of western European tradition of intellectual thought, to highlight out other world traditions

you can't have it both ways, Cy...but as you've already demonstrated a penchant for slight revisionism and insipid stubbornness, you blow all types of smoke to achieve that goal. You just can't handle the fact that what you "think" isn't necessarily true....noted in how you avoided my simple reference to political change of some in voting and social "philosophy". Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The world spins on with or without your acknowledgement.

No sense in wasting more time and space on you with this point. You may have the last, predictable words. I'm moving on.

Cut the bullshit, CY.....I entered the references to other cultures to give a demonstration as to how you were WRONG! I explained why and didn't accuse you of anything other than being wrong on a specific point (Post #133), so this dumb ruse of yours to pretend you don't understand that is only fooling the guy you see in the mirror.

And here's the kicker; first you state You won't find anywhere I mentioned geography ( Africa vs Europe)

Then you say I am the only poster here to repeatedly go outside the confines of western European tradition of intellectual thought, to highlight out other world traditions

you can't have it both ways, Cy...but as you've already demonstrated a penchant for slight revisionism and insipid stubbornness, you blow all types of smoke to achieve that goal. You just can't handle the fact that what you "think" isn't necessarily true....noted in how you avoided my simple reference to political change of some in voting and social "philosophy". Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The world spins on with or without your acknowledgement.

No sense in wasting more time and space on you with this point. You may have the last, predictable words. I'm moving on.

I didn't realize having a difference of opinion would make you so angry

There is no right answer or wrong answer.

You have your opinion I have mine.
I prefer to keep the bar high for true, original ingenuity, vision, creativity.

I am not going to lower the bar for It.

Most intellectual and technological innovation are driven by a relatively small number of exceptional people.

The rest of us are just using derivative knowledge to make small improvements to the widgets.

That is exactly the model of how the internet developed, quantum mechanics, and genetics advanced. I'm sure even the Paleolithic Clovis point didn't just occur to everyone. A skilled hunter and maybe friends developed it by tinkering.

I didn't realize having a difference of opinion would make you so angry

There is no right answer or wrong answer.

You have your opinion I have mine.
I prefer to keep the bar high for true, original ingenuity, vision, creativity.

I am not going to lower the bar for It.

Most intellectual and technological innovation are driven by a relatively small number of exceptional people.

The rest of us are just using derivative knowledge to make small improvements to the widgets.

That is exactly the model of how the internet developed, quantum mechanics, and genetics advanced. I'm sure even the Paleolithic Clovis point didn't just occur to everyone. A skilled hunter and maybe friends developed it by tinkering.

you're an idiot

Gore Vidal! Now I see where you're going!

I don't think there are any genuises on this message board.

Dictionary.com
Genius: "an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.

I don't think there are any genuises on this message board.

Dictionary.com
Genius: "an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.

You have the knowledge of a college freshman in an intro course.

You have the knowledge of a college freshman in an intro course.

An obvious lie. The reason you make it a point to follow me around and read my posts it because you must find them interesting. You don't follow Text drivers are killers around relentlessly reading his posts.

Don't post on my threads if you don't want me to comment. It has come to that.

That doesn't explain why you have shown up on my threads with your resentments, rage, and obsessions

If you really, actually think I am uneducated and stupid, you really shouldn't be relentlessly reading my threads and posts.

That doesn't explain why you have shown up on my threads with your resentments, rage, and obsessions

If you really, actually think I am uneducated and stupid, you really shouldn't be relentlessly reading my threads and posts.

Don't post on my threads if you don't like it.

Don't post on my threads if you don't like it.
Speaking of uniformed, it is clear you have virtually no knowledge or awareness of the Eastern intellectual tradition, and you haven't read or paid attention to any of the religious scholars from the Christian, Daoist, Hindu, Confucian traditions.

You can't really be an informed person on human intellectual history with those massive, gigantic gaps in your knowledge.

Speaking of uniformed, it is clear you have virtually no knowledge or awareness of the eastern intellectual tradition, and you haven't read or paid attention to any of the religious scholars from the Christian, Daoist, Hindu, Confucian traditions.

You can't really be an informed person on human intellectual history with those massive, gigantic gaps in your knowledge.

You are a pathological liar.

You really shouldn't start threads holding court on world religions when you haven't actually read any of the works of history's premminent religious scholars.

Especially if you have the habit of relentlessly haranguing another poster for not having read Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics.

If you want a list of preeminent religious thinkers to read, I could start you off with a list.

You really shouldn't start threads holding court on world religions when you haven't actually read any of the works of history's premminent religious scholars.

Especially if you have the habit of relentlessly haranguing another poster for not having read Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics.

If you want a list of preeminent religious thinkers to read, I could start you off with a list.

Here's the list I am working my way through.

You should at least attempt to read a couple of them before you stand on your soap box to make proclamations about the intellectual basis of world religions.

A List of Recommend Scriptural Readings

Hinduism
If you read only one text from Hinduism, it should be the Bhagavad Gita.

Judaism
For Judaism, you might try something from each of the three. sections of the Tanakh. From the Torah, you might sample Genesis, which includes some of the most famous stories in the Hebrew Bible. From the Prophets, read 2 Isaiah (chapters 40–55), which most scholars date to the 6th century B.C.E., during the Babylonian Exile. From the Writings, try the brief book of Ruth, a simple yet
moving tale of ordinary people and extraordinary kindness.

Trumpism
If you spend four years worshiping and groveling at the feet of Donald Trumpf, consider reading Art of the Deal, or Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump.

Buddhism
One of the most beloved texts from the Theravada tradition of Buddhism is the Dhammapada, which sets forth the basic principles of Buddhist doctrine and morality. The canon of Mahayana Buddhism is vast, but one book considered by many to be the fullest. expression of the Buddha’s teachings is the Lotus Sutra. Read the first four chapters, which include the parables of the burning house and the prodigal son.

East Asian religions
For East Asian religion and philosophy, read the Analects of Confucius and the Daodejing. The Analects are brief, fairly straightforward sayings of Confucius. The Daodejing was originally an anonymous collection of wisdom sayings that was later attributed to Laozi and eventually elevated to the status of a divine text.

Christianity
Recommended readings for Christianity include one of the gospels, perhaps Luke; the book of Acts, which offers a history of the early Christian movement; and something from Paul, either Romans or 1 Corinthians. I also recommend the Epistle of James, which is arguably the world's first communist manifesto. I would also recommend Augustine's Confessions and City of God.

Islam
The Qur’an, with its 114 suras, is a bit long. Newcomers might want to start with some of the shorter, earlier, more lyrical revelations toward the end of the volume, then read a few of the longer suras that appear at the beginning
(2, “The Cow”; 4, “Women”; and 5, “The Table”).

Sikhism
The Adi Granth is the paramount scripture of Sikhism. Two recommended readings in this tradition are The Name of My Beloved: Verses of the Sikh Gurus, translated by Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh, and Songs of the Saints from the Adi Granth, translated by Nirmal Dass.

You should at least attempt to read a couple of them before you stand on your soap box to make proclamations about the intellectual basis of world religions.

Nothing I said, ever, justifies your claim I never read Eastern philosophy. You are a mentally ill liar.

Your knowledge of the Eastern intellectual tradition and religious thought seems less than second grade level.

A List of Recommend Religious Readings

Hinduism
If you read only one text from Hinduism, it should be the Bhagavad Gita.

Judaism
For Judaism, you might try something from each of the three. sections of the Tanakh. From the Torah, you might sample Genesis, which includes some of the most famous stories in the Hebrew Bible. From the Prophets, read 2 Isaiah (chapters 40–55), which most scholars date to the 6th century B.C.E., during the Babylonian Exile. From the Writings, try the brief book of Ruth, a simple yet moving tale of ordinary people and extraordinary kindness.

Trumpism
If you spend four years worshiping and groveling at the feet of Donald Trumpf, consider reading Art of the Deal, or Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump.

Buddhism
One of the most beloved texts from the Theravada tradition of Buddhism is the Dhammapada, which sets forth the basic principles of Buddhist doctrine and morality. The canon of Mahayana Buddhism is vast, but one book considered by many to be the fullest. expression of the Buddha’s teachings is the Lotus Sutra. Read the first four chapters, which include the parables of the burning house and the prodigal son.

East Asian religions
For East Asian religion and philosophy, read the Analects of Confucius and the Daodejing. The Analects are brief, fairly straightforward sayings of Confucius. The Daodejing was originally an anonymous collection of wisdom sayings that was later attributed to Laozi and eventually elevated to the status of a divine text.

Christianity
Recommended readings for Christianity include one of the gospels, perhaps Luke; the book of Acts, which offers a history of the early Christian movement; and something from Paul, either Romans or 1 Corinthians. I also recommend the Epistle of James, which is arguably the world's first communist manifesto. I would also recommend Augustine's Confessions and City of God.

Islam
The Qur’an, with its 114 suras, is a bit long. Newcomers might want to start with some of the shorter, earlier, more lyrical revelations toward the end of the volume, then read a few of the longer suras that appear at the beginning
(2, “The Cow”; 4, “Women”; and 5, “The Table”).

Sikhism
The Adi Granth is the paramount scripture of Sikhism. Two recommended readings in this tradition are The Name of My Beloved: Verses of the Sikh Gurus, translated by Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh, and Songs of the Saints from the Adi Granth, translated by Nirmal Dass.

Back