The difference between philosophy and religion.

Yes, I did. I wrote that I seek out and acquire different perspectives on a topic.

I am probably literally the only poster in this thread who has a proven track record of posting both atheist view points along side religious view points, as well as posts of divergent scientific view points.

^^ And I have the threads to prove it.

Do you ever accept contradictory information to the holy spirit?

No!

You're talking about different POV of mere men!
I'm dealing with God directly thru the Holy Spirit!
See the difference?
It's your opinion that a supernatural force you are calling the holy spirit is filling you with knowledge.

That is a human opinion I have no way of verifying.

Do you ever check sources that contradict your experts? You didn't answer my question

Yes, I did. I wrote that I seek out and acquire different perspectives on a topic.

I am probably literally the only poster in this thread who has a proven track record of posting both atheist view points along side religious view points, as well as posts of divergent scientific view points.

^^ And I have the threads to prove it

For instance-->

Here's a few examples of where I considered the opinions of experts with radically different and opposing viewpoints. How many examples do you need? Because I could overwhelm you with examples.

An example of me sharing examples of atheist thought contrasting with religious thought-->
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-vs-Friedrich-Nietzsche&p=5027552#post5027552

Another example of me sharing examples of atheist thought contrasting with religious thought-->
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...Dawkins-vs-Issac-Newton&p=4938482#post4938482

Sociology: here is an example of me sharing contrasting examples of thought in the sociological sciences, positivism vs mysticism -->
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...e-vs-Fyodor-Dostoyevsky&p=4578348#post4578348

Just War theory: here is an example of me sharing radically different points of view on just war theory, from realism to pacifism -->
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?181536-Just-War-Theory&p=4852125#post4852125

Physics: here is an example of me considering radically different points of view on physics, realism and determinism vs. quantum probability -->
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?172566-Einstein-vs-Bohr&p=4569621#post4569621

If you are going to ask a question, aren't you even going to acknowledge that I answered it fully and directly?

Point out any lie I told.

The chronology of the posts show that I agreed with you that technological innovation is a measure of ingenuity, and that intellectual achievement was developed in Africa --> even though those weren't even points I brought up or even alluded to. You were the one who brought up eating utensils, Viking swords, and African achievement. I held out the Clovis point and lanteen sail as profound technological achievement.

I guess I am not going to get a response specifically showing exactly where all my "repetitive lies" are.

If you are going to ask a question, aren't you even going to acknowledge that I answered it fully and directly?

I guess after being hounded to answer some question, I am never going to get an acknowledgement from my interlocutor that I gave them a direct and fully-documented answer.

Now the subject title of this thread is the difference between philosophy and religion.

Seldom do they meet, but sometimes they call each other on the phone.

The "wire" that connects those conversations can be called "intellect".

If the reader doesn't get it, I suggest watching the movie 1960 "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracey and Fredric March. It clears up a LOT of stuff.

Now the subject title of this thread is the difference between philosophy and religion.

If the reader doesn't get it, I suggest watching the movie 1960 "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracey and Fredric March. It clears up a LOT of stuff.

Basically, religion requires you to act and believe a certain way. Philosophy does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post

Basically, religion requires you to act and believe a certain way. Philosophy does not.

True. Philosophy is a constant shift of understanding. People may say, "that's my philosophy of life" but find it may only apply to one particular aspect of life, and it may be subject to alteration if not outright change. Religion has a base constant that CANNOT be questioned or altered. Big difference, but a lot of people will bend over backwards not to acknowledge such.

True. Philosophy is a constant shift of understanding. People may say, "that's my philosophy of life" but find it may only apply to one particular aspect of life, and it may be subject to alteration if not outright change. Religion has a base constant that CANNOT be questioned or altered. Big difference, but a lot of people will bend over backwards not to acknowledge such.

Religion is dogmatic. I never found that inspiring.

Religion is dogmatic. I never found that inspiring.

Not all religions are such. Take Buddhism.....it's founder stated that he wasn't a deity, and he just figured out a few things. Unfortunately, people seem to need a deity and elevated the man to a form of sainthood. I no expert on the subject, so I'm not sure if celibacy and "monk-ish" isolation is necessary beyond a certain point to achieve "enlightenment". In any event, Buddha seem to leave instructions for a "philosophy" that can and has been interpreted as a "religion", although there're many who would debate that on either end.

Not all religions are such. Take Buddhism.....it's founder stated that he wasn't a deity, and he just figured out a few things. Unfortunately, people seem to need a deity and elevated the man to a form of sainthood. I no expert on the subject, so I'm not sure if celibacy and "monk-ish" isolation is necessary beyond a certain point to achieve "enlightenment".

Does not matter to me whether you call Buddhism a religion.

No, he's just a BS artist who thinks he's clever. Pity he doesn't (or refuses to) realize that once you print something, it's there for all to review. That's why one of my favorite phrases is "the chronology of the posts", because it reduces guys like Cy to repetitive lies and denial (or the usual feigned innocence ploy). Cy makes his statement and he's not going to budge....logic and facts derived from debate be damned. He'll just blow smoke, move a goal post, lie about what transpired, etc., rather than just concede even a small point. For some reason, guys like Cy are afraid to concede a point on a format as anonymous as this one. Whatever. There's no sense in further engagement of such a mindset after a point. I just let them have the last word and watch their folly. If they become abusive or a nasty spam troll, I put them on the ignore list for a month or so in hopes that they'll change their ways. Hope springs eternal.

Point out any lie I told.

The chronology of the posts show that I agreed with you that technological innovation is a measure of ingenuity, and that intellectual achievement was developed in Africa --> even though those weren't even points I brought up or even alluded to. You were the one who brought up eating utensils, Viking swords, and African achievement. I held out the Clovis point and lanteen sail as profound technological achievement.

I have given you multiple opportunities to point out specifically and exactly where all these "repetitive lies" are I supposedly told you, but you have ducked and dodged showing me your proof.

Not all religions are such. Take Buddhism.....it's founder stated that he wasn't a deity, and he just figured out a few things. Unfortunately, people seem to need a deity and elevated the man to a form of sainthood. I no expert on the subject, so I'm not sure if celibacy and "monk-ish" isolation is necessary beyond a certain point to achieve "enlightenment".

Does not matter to me whether you call Buddhism a religion.

I don't....I just point to the deference of opinion on it...I found a LOT of followers constantly debating the issue. Fascinating, as Mr. Spock would say.

Back