THE QUESTION OF WHETHER ANY GODS EXIST...

from “Brain Droppings” by George Carlin

It turned out I was pretty good in science. But again, because of the small budget, in science class we couldn't afford to do experiments in order to prove theories. We just believed everything.

Actually, I think that class was called Religion. Religion was always an easy class. All you had to do was suspend the logic and reasoning you were being taught in all the other classes.
"

-------

What caused the big bang? Remember the law of cause and effect. You just can't get around it. Everything that exists had to have a beginning, and it could not have created itself. Thus it requires a Creator. Simple logic. If there is no Creator, then everything created itself. Those are the only options available. Do you believe that the universe created itself?

The Ugly Truth, you referenced “simple logic” but in the very same post you claim “Those are the only options available.”

Have you ever heard of logical fallacies, especially the one known as “Argument from Ignorance” aka ad ignorantium?

You are using faulty reasoning, not the “simple logic” to which you so earnestly aspire.

Earlier (post #703) you suggested that I have some difficulty with reading comprehension, to which I replied, and demonstrated clearly, that your claim was false.

In your quote above, the first question you ask, is “What caused the big bang?”

Perhaps you can go back and look at my reply in the sentence that begins “About 90 years ago ...”

It turned out I was pretty good in science. But again, because of the small budget, in science class we couldn't afford to do experiments in order to prove theories. We just believed everything.

Actually, I think that class was called Religion. Religion was always an easy class. All you had to do was suspend the logic and reasoning you were being taught in all the other classes.
"

-------

The Ugly Truth, you referenced “simple logic” but in the very same post you claim “Those are the only options available.”

Have you ever heard of logical fallacies, especially the one known as “Argument from Ignorance” aka ad ignorantium?

You are using faulty reasoning, not the “simple logic” to which you so earnestly aspire.

Earlier (post #703) you suggested that I have some difficulty with reading comprehension, to which I replied, and demonstrated clearly, that your claim was false.

Perhaps you can go back and look at my reply in the sentence that begins “About 90 years ago ...”

The universe either created itself, or it was created. Those are the only two options available. Science states that nothing physical can create itself. This is based on the law of cause and effect. If there is no Creator, then something that science claims is impossible happened and it created itself.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle

The universe either created itself, or it was created. Those are the only two options available. Science states that nothing physical can create itself. This is based on the law of cause and effect. If there is no Creator, then something that science claims is impossible happened and it created itself.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle

Who told you that your god is eternal? Who told you your god is not physical? Who told you your god is omniscient?

What science is the basis of those claims?

27geah.jpg

That's OK Francis, you go right on believing that.

Here’s how I view you.

giphy.gif

Now show everyone how your OCD makes you reply, the first thing every morning. :D

I am not triggered, my tail chasing little pet.

Albert Einstein was an agnostic...Stephen Hawking and Richard Feynman have at various times described themselves as agnostics...and at other times as atheists.

And since all three are dead...you use of "are not" makes as little sense as your constant tail chasing.

Makes more sense then your usage of "they are"; because as you've admitted, THEY'RE DEAD. :D

Those who believe in the Abrahamic God insist that He is "omnipotent" "omnipresent" and "intervening." Accepting what they insist on just makes it even more likely that there's no such Being. There's absolutely no evidence for the exixtence of any gods. OTOH, there's plenty of evidence of the human tendency to hallucinate and imagine that there are gods. There are also known naturally occuring hallucinogens. There's no way that you can use either science or math to decide the issue. Of course, any god that wanted to could easily prove their existence. Apparently, none has ever wanted to.

Why would they need to "prove their existence"??

"

-------

I see Ugly responds to you by asserting there are only two options..either the universe created itself...or was created.

Actually...there are at least three options...one of which is that IT ALWAYS EXISTED (in some form or another).

But since that does not fit into his blind guess that a god created it...he pretends that "option" cannot exist.

Here’s how I view you.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YnVuogBiaiAGQ/giphy.gif[IMG]

Now show everyone how your OCD makes you reply, the first thing every morning. :D[/QUOTE]

My name is not Francis...I do not do "believing."

You are my pet, US. Here is how I think of you:

[IMG]https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/66999206/please-pet-me-im-begging-you.jpg

Makes more sense then your usage of "they are"; because as you've admitted, THEY'RE DEAD. :D

You used the "are." I used "were" for them...and "are" for "so many other scientists."

If I made a mistake...quote where I did...and I will acknowledge my mistake and apologize...even though you are only my tail-chasing pet.

images

I see Ugly responds to you by asserting there are only two options..either the universe created itself...or was created.

Actually...there are at least three options...one of which is that IT ALWAYS EXISTED (in some form or another).

But since that does not fit into his blind guess that a god created it...he pretends that "option" cannot exist.
Which "option" is no more outlandish than the idea that the universe was created by some intelligent Being who came from nowhere and just always existed.

Which "option" is no more outlandish than the idea that the universe was created by some intelligent Being who came from nowhere and just always existed.

Yup. But don't try to convince Ugly that it IS an option, because it does not fit into the story he asserts HAS TO BE THE TRUTH.

Remember...he is smarter than Albert Einstein, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Feynman.

It seems just as rational to say the universe - or something like it - has always existed. How does either theory take us any further forward? It would seem to me be more sensible to just enquire about reality than keep writing out the same bit of chop-logic.

Here’s how I view you.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YnVuogBiaiAGQ/giphy.gif[IMG]

Now show everyone how your OCD makes you reply, the first thing every morning. :D[/QUOTE]

My name is not Francis...I do not do "believing."

You are my pet, US. Here is how I think of you today:
[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUoNSubmaMw4PFrkStIN1lwmrcYzHRJVdvQm7tAaWl79GGHES5
Chasing Tail

God's name is "I am"......Franks name is "I'm not".....
I'm not Francis....
I'm not an atheist....
I'm not a believer....
I'm not a lib'rul....
I'm not an idiot....
I'm not stupid....

Back