The Swedish philosophy of lagom

Cypress

"Cypress you motherfucking whore!"
The Swedish philosophy of lagom: how “just enough” is all you need

The idea that human desires are insatiable and that craving leads to misery is not new wisdom. It has ancient Hindu, Buddhist, and Greek roots and forms a keystone of most religions. Lagom is the modern, Swedish twist on an ancient idea. It means "just enough," and it involves finding contentment in satisfaction. The story of Goldilocks can be interpreted as emphasizing lagom.

The fact that humans have unquenchable thirst and insatiable appetites is not new wisdom. It’s found in early Vedic texts, in Ancient Greece, and in most of the world’s religions today (most starkly in Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism). But in the Swedish idea of lagom (lah-gomm), it has been given fresh life.

Lagom translates as “just the right amount.” It means knowing when enough is enough, and trying to find balance and moderation rather than constantly grasping for more. Lagom is that feeling of contentment we all get when we have all that we need to make us comfortable. It’s neither a millionaire’s splurge in Vegas, nor a pauper’s cold winter night. It means having a roof over your head, food in your belly, friends at your back, and money — just enough money — in your pockets.

There are two separate strands to lagom. The first is a kind of social awareness that recognizes that what we do affects other people. In this, we might see lagom more as a kind of “fair use” policy. If you take three cookies from the plate, two other people aren’t going to get one. If you hoard and grab everything you can, elbowing and cursing your way to the front of the line, then at best, that makes you a bit of an ass. At worst, it leaves others in ruin.

The second strand, however, is a mental shift that finds contentment in satisfaction. Many of us have internalized the idea that bigger means better, that a bank balance means status, and that excess means happiness. Lagom, though, is to enjoy the “just right.” It’s not simply learning to “enjoy the simple things,” but also appreciating that sometimes less really is more. Lagom is knowing that enjoying the now of what you have does not mean you need to add more of it.

https://bigthink.com/thinking/swedish-philosophy-lagom-just-enough/

The idea that human desires are insatiable and that craving leads to misery is not new wisdom. It has ancient Hindu, Buddhist, and Greek roots and forms a keystone of most religions. Lagom is the modern, Swedish twist on an ancient idea. It means "just enough," and it involves finding contentment in satisfaction. The story of Goldilocks can be interpreted as emphasizing lagom.

The fact that humans have unquenchable thirst and insatiable appetites is not new wisdom. It’s found in early Vedic texts, in Ancient Greece, and in most of the world’s religions today (most starkly in Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism). But in the Swedish idea of lagom (lah-gomm), it has been given fresh life.

Lagom translates as “just the right amount.” It means knowing when enough is enough, and trying to find balance and moderation rather than constantly grasping for more. Lagom is that feeling of contentment we all get when we have all that we need to make us comfortable. It’s neither a millionaire’s splurge in Vegas, nor a pauper’s cold winter night. It means having a roof over your head, food in your belly, friends at your back, and money — just enough money — in your pockets.

There are two separate strands to lagom. The first is a kind of social awareness that recognizes that what we do affects other people. In this, we might see lagom more as a kind of “fair use” policy. If you take three cookies from the plate, two other people aren’t going to get one. If you hoard and grab everything you can, elbowing and cursing your way to the front of the line, then at best, that makes you a bit of an ass. At worst, it leaves others in ruin.

The second strand, however, is a mental shift that finds contentment in satisfaction. Many of us have internalized the idea that bigger means better, that a bank balance means status, and that excess means happiness. Lagom, though, is to enjoy the “just right.” It’s not simply learning to “enjoy the simple things,” but also appreciating that sometimes less really is more. Lagom is knowing that enjoying the now of what you have does not mean you need to add more of it.

LOL. Lagom is a matter of perspective...which renders it meaningless. That's something the Jarls used to tell the rubes. And you appear to be a rube.

Some people think it's important in life to have golden toilets and gold gilded penthouses.

melania-trump-donald-trump-manhattan-apartment-banner-1366x768.jpg

The Scandinavian countries seem to practice this and therefore are happier as a result.

On my various trips to Norway for work and vacation I ran across the idea that Norwegians tend to DISLIKE being the outlier in their neighborhood. Whereas an America would like nothing more than to have the fanciest car in the neighborhood a Norwegian prefers to remain more "average" and as such "conspicuous consumption" that Americans value is a general negative there.

I have great respect for the Scandinavian nations.

I personally don't believe that biological humans are all sufficiently similar to one another for any one philosophy
to be successfully applied to all.

I think that we have more variationsamong us than do different breeds of dogs, all of which are also the same species,
and I also believe that we don't coexist as well as many diverse dog breeds can.

Our diversity, which can't ever be corrected now,
is the reason a more ethnically homogeneous nation like the PRC
is replacing us us the planet's flagship nation in terms of influence.

Why do so many people find it so hard to see that we're not all the same in the way we strive to live?

The Scandinavian countries seem to practice this and therefore are happier as a result.
True
I think our hypercharged consumer capitalist system puts a lot of psychological pressure on people to make material possessions and wealth aquisition a main focus in life

I have great respect for the Scandinavian nations.

I personally don't believe that biological humans are all sufficiently similar to one another for any one philosophy
to be successfully applied to all.

I think that we have more variationsamong us than do different breeds of dogs, all of which are also the same species,
and I also believe that we don't coexist as well as many diverse dog breeds can.

Our diversity, which can't ever be corrected now,
is the reason a more ethnically homogeneous nation like the PRC
is replacing us us the planet's flagship nation in terms of influence.

Why do so many people find it so hard to see that we're not all the same in the way we strive to live?

Russian oligarchs aren't that different than Donald Trumpf in terms of their values and life priorities.

The mega wealthy in Mexico probably aren't that different from Trump either.

I always wondered about the psychology that drives people to aquire more and more wealth and material possession.

Some people think it's important in life to have golden toilets and gold gilded penthouses.

Having many of the things that you want, regardless of what they happen to be, is an absolute requisite to life being worth living.

A life in which the rewards do not adequately compensate the travails is a net-negative experience.

I don't like Trump at all, but I have no problem with his appreciation for nice things.

I always wondered about the psychology that drives people to acquire more and more wealth and material possession.

If they want them that badly, that means that they need them to be content.
We can't judge other people by what we perceive as the requisite personal needs for ourselves.

Having many of the things that you want, regardless of what they happen to be, is an absolute requisite to life being worth living.

A life in which the rewards do not adequately compensate the travails is a net-negative experience.

I don't like Trump at all, but I have no problem with his appreciation for nice things.
Trump is tacky, he’s never appreciated “nice things”, it why high society in NYC rejected him. He’s tacky

I think golden toilets and gold gilded penthouses are a reflection on the person's values and priorities.

Something about it just says amoral sleazebag.

There's nothing wrong with having nice cars and nice houses though.

I think golden toilets and gold gilded penthouses are a reflection on the person's values and priorities.

Something about it just says amoral sleazebag.

There's nothing wrong with having nice cars and nice houses though.

We already know, however, that people can be very sincere in their acceptance of very different values.
We are what we are. None of us drew our own blueprints.

Trump is tacky, he’s never appreciated “nice things”, it why high society in NYC rejected him. He’s tacky

I think that he's tacky as well, Phan, and if he knew me, he'd have an equally negative impression of Nifty Niblick.
I'll repeat what I posted above.
We are what we are. None of us drew our own blueprint.

I had great parents who loved and supported me,

but I still shamelessly and guiltlessly blame them for all my deficiencies

because I have no recollection of cultivating them of my own accord.

I fully accept our grown kids seeing the Gestapo and me in the same sort of light.

That's my personal philosophy.

We already know, however, that people can be very sincere in their acceptance of very different values.
We are what we are. None of us drew our own blueprints.

The story of Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, may be legendary, but it invokes powerful feelings of admiration for hundreds of millions of people.

He rejected a life of privilege and wealth for a life of spiritual and moral development, a life of seeking the truth beyond the illusion of material possession and desires.

The story of Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, may be legendary, but it invokes powerful feelings of admiration for hundreds of millions of people.

He rejected a life of privilege and wealth for a life of spiritual and moral development, a life of seeking the truth beyond the illusion of material possession and desires.

Based on all the gilded statues, however,
our man Buddha enjoyed over-indulging
in good Chinese food every bit as much as I do.

I think that he's tacky as well, Phan, and if he knew me, he'd have an equally negative impression of Nifty Niblick.
I'll repeat what I posted above.
We are what we are. None of us drew our own blueprint.

I had great parents who loved and supported me,

but I still shamelessly and guiltlessly blame them for all my deficiencies

because I have no recollection of cultivating them of my own accord.

I fully accept our grown kids seeing the Gestapo and me in the same sort of light.

That's my personal philosophy.
I, take full responsibility for who I am. My parents gave me the foundation, but it was my choices that ultimately made me who I am.

I think it’s a cop out to blame your parents for your life.

Based on all the gilded statues, however,
our man Buddha enjoyed over-indulging
in good Chinese food every bit as much as I do.

I don't think the fat Buddha is a representation on Sidartha Gautama Buddha. Unless I am misremembering, it represents some other legendary Buddhist monk.

The Buddha didn't believe in asceticism though. He thought there was a happy medium between deprivation and over indulgence

I don't think the fat Buddha is a representation on Sidartha Gautama Buddha. Unless I am misremembering, it represents some other legendary Buddhist monk.

The Buddha didn't believe in asceticism though. He thought there was a happy medium between deprivation and over indulgence

As much as I hated roadwork--and I seriously hated it--
I used to run every morning and then spar in the gym after school.
As a very young man, I was in really good shape.

When I returned home from military service, however,
I decided that dieting and exercising were unforgivable forms of self-abuse after all.

I started to smoke lots of cigarettes--as a kid I'd just have two or three a day, max--
and when I finally quit them, I got fat.
Really fat. Cartoon fat.

I'd take long walks, but either in in the city or at the beach,
there were always fast food stands and carts on the route
and being unable to ignore them, I just got fatter.

Finally, after I gave myself onset diabetes,
I went through hell and ditched a lot of the weight.
I and my boxing body of the 1960s still don't resemble the same species, of course--I'm 76 years old--
but I'm not super fat anymore.

When I was, however, there was this Chinese take out place that I frequented.
Inside was this big gold Buddha, and for fun, I'd pose next to it to compare bellies.

The little Asian girls at the counter would burst out in hysterics when I did this,
and they were very cute and adorable,
so I'd do it even if it was to just amuse them.

Anyway, even though I'm not religious or super fat,
I still have a warm spot for Buddha in my heart

As much as I hated roadwork--and I seriously hated it--
I used to run every morning and then spar in the gym after school.
As a very young man, I was in really good shape.

When I returned home from military service, however,
I decided that dieting and exercising were unforgivable forms of self-abuse after all.

I started to smoke lots of cigarettes--as a kid I'd just have two or three a day, max--
and when I finally quit them, I got fat.
Really fat. Cartoon fat.

I'd take long walks, but either in in the city or at the beach,
there were always fast food stands and carts on the route
and being unable to ignore them, I just got fatter.

Finally, after I gave myself onset diabetes,
I went through hell and ditched a lot of the weight.
I and my boxing body of the 1960s still don't resemble the same species, of course--I'm 76 years old--
but I'm not super fat anymore.

When I was, however, there was this Chinese take out place that I frequented.
Inside was this big gold Buddha, and for fun, I'd pose next to it to compare bellies.

The little Asian girls at the counter would burst out in hysterics when I did this,
and they were very cute and adorable,
so I'd do it even if it was to just amuse them.

Anyway, even though I'm not religious or super fat,
I still have a warm spot for Buddha in my heart

Who doesn't like the chubby little Buddha?

I don't think staying fit requires torturing oneself. The key calculation is how to spread your splurges out so they don't cause any problems to your weight or health.

Last edited:
Back