The Swedish philosophy of lagom

Basically my point.
Ethnically homogeneous societies with millennia of proud tradition and solidarity actually accomplish these things.

As a mash-up country, which we inarguably are, we don't seem capable of doing it.
We lack the solidarity to do it.
We're a plethora of tribes in an uneasy alliance.

Will that suddenly change?

I'd like that for future generations
but I could not in good conscience predict it.

Canada is ethnically diverse (69 percent white, 31 percent Asian/Indigenous First Nations/Black) and they have a viable liberal welfare state.

Our problem is we are still dealing with the fallout of 400 years of chattel slavery and Jim Crow.

200w.webp
200w.webp
200w.webp

Some people think it's important in life to have golden toilets and gold gilded penthouses.
All humans want nice things. Unfortunately, the lazy and the losers of the world whiningly begrudge the successful for having added value to the society and for reaping their just rewards of acquiring nice things.

Ask me how I know that you and Phantasmal are whining losers. Please, ask me.

e3aa6123480d4b2232f332fb11f995fe.jpg

Canada is ethnically diverse (69 percent white, 31 percent Asian/Indigenous First Nations/Black) and they have a viable liberal welfare state.

Our problem is we are still dealing with the fallout of 400 years of chattel slavery and Jim Crow.

You havent shown a shred of evidence of this "fallout".

A bad enough thing, it seems, takes at least a millennium to mitigate.

Just turn on the TV, watch CSPAN, or watch business news

95 percent of congressional Republicans are white, the vast majority of positions of authority in the GOP go to whites, and the vast majority of leadership in the corporate business community is white and male

Just turn on the TV, watch CSPAN, or watch business news

95 percent of congressional Republicans are white, the vast majority of positions of authority in the GOP go to whites, and the vast majority of leadership in the corporate business community is white and male

That's not evidence of "systemic" racism. Show me where someone is prevented from joining the Republican party because of their skin color. Show me where someone is prohibited from corporate leadership because of their skin color. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

You should read "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. It's a great explanation of that very fallout complete with a lot of good data to support its thesis. It's pretty compelling if one actually cares what the experience of black Americans is.

You should read "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. It's a great explanation of that very fallout complete with a lot of good data to support its thesis. It's pretty compelling if one actually cares what the experience of black Americans is.

Let me ask you a question, am I white?

That's not evidence of "systemic" racism. Show me where someone is prevented from joining the Republican party because of their skin color. Show me where someone is prohibited from corporate leadership because of their skin color. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

Systemic Racism ISN'T an "official set of exclusionary laws"...those have been driven underground. Systemic racism arises due to generational wealth differences and sub-rosa hiring decisions or algorithms in the HR department computationally biased to select white candidates or any other number of burdens that black people bear that white people do not.

If you don't like Anecdotes then BY ALL MEANS read "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. Or countless thousands upon thousands of academic articles about the systemic differences experienced by black people and white people.

A second question for you, what would an America, free from the fallout of "systemic" racism look like?

The Swedish philosophy of lagom: how “just enough” is all you need

The idea that human desires are insatiable and that craving leads to misery is not new wisdom. It has ancient Hindu, Buddhist, and Greek roots and forms a keystone of most religions.

Lagom is the modern, Swedish twist on an ancient idea. It means "just enough," and it involves finding contentment in satisfaction.
A tributary to my hypothesis that even as we become more irreligious, we still adopt a lot of the ancient wisdoms from the Axial Age religions, and just strip away the religious context.

Don't know, don't care.

You asked for data about systemic racism and this is a great read that is engaging, well written and fulfills that remit.

Oh I suspect you think you know everything about me.

Well there is no "systemic" racism. There is racism still but leftists call it "systemic" racism but the supposed "fallout" of long dead actual "systemic" racism is a product of culture not skin color.

A second question for you, what would an America, free from the fallout of "systemic" racism look like?

Incarceration rates and rates of conviction with harsh prison sentences would reflect the racial makeup of the USA instead of being much higher for black people.

Black people who get arrested wouldn't be MORE LIKELY to take a plea deal or wind up with a prison sentence for the EXACT SAME CRIME as a white person who gets off scott free or with a slap on the wrist. (Eg white kids sell drugs too, but only black kids get arrested and sent to prison at a rate MUCH HIGHER than the white kids.)

Median household income would be in line with the national average instead of a couple of standard deviations BELOW it.

One's outcome in life would NOT be defined primarily by the zip code one was born and raised in.

That sort of thing.

Systemic Racism ISN'T an "official set of exclusionary laws"...those have been driven underground. Systemic racism arises due to generational wealth differences and sub-rosa hiring decisions or algorithms in the HR department computationally biased to select white candidates or any other number of burdens that black people bear that white people do not.

If you don't like Anecdotes then BY ALL MEANS read "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. Or countless thousands upon thousands of academic articles about the systemic differences experienced by black people and white people.

Oh yes "underground". Oh course

Oh I suspect you think you know everything about me.

No I don't.

Well there is no "systemic" racism. There is racism still but leftists call it "systemic" racism but the supposed "fallout" of long dead actual "systemic" racism is a product of culture not skin color.

You wanted data which indicates you currently have none. I provided you with a RESOURCE which you clearly haven't yet read and already you've shown you are not willing to actually CONSIDER SAID DATA.

Incarceration rates and rates of conviction with harsh prison sentences would reflect the racial makeup of the USA instead of being much higher for black people.

Black people who get arrested wouldn't be MORE LIKELY to take a plea deal or wind up with a prison sentence for the EXACT SAME CRIME as a white person who gets off scott free or with a slap on the wrist. (Eg white kids sell drugs too, but only black kids get arrested and sent to prison at a rate MUCH HIGHER than the white kids.)

Median household income would be in line with the national average instead of a couple of standard deviations BELOW it.

One's outcome in life would NOT be defined primarily by the zip code one was born and raised in.

That sort of thing.

Its not determined by zip code unless you believe the leftist lies.

No I don't.

You wanted data which indicates you currently have none. I provided you with a RESOURCE which you clearly haven't yet read and already you've shown you are not willing to actually CONSIDER SAID DATA.

Oh course you do

I never said I wouldn't consider it I said it's based on racism which does exist and will NEVER be eliminated. You can't change people's feelings the best you can hope for is to change behavior.

You wanted data but clearly you do not ACTUALLY want data. You just want to whine about people's points without actually knowing the topic.

Again what is it you think I don't know about the topic? Why wouldnt I know anything about the topic?

Back