The Swedish philosophy of lagom

On my various trips to Norway for work and vacation I ran across the idea that Norwegians tend to DISLIKE being the outlier in their neighborhood. Whereas an America would like nothing more than to have the fanciest car in the neighborhood a Norwegian prefers to remain more "average" and as such "conspicuous consumption" that Americans value is a general negative there.

"Hi Hi"!

The Swedish philosophy of lagom: how “just enough” is all you need

The idea that human desires are insatiable and that craving leads to misery is not new wisdom. It has ancient Hindu, Buddhist, and Greek roots and forms a keystone of most religions. Lagom is the modern, Swedish twist on an ancient idea. It means "just enough," and it involves finding contentment in satisfaction. The story of Goldilocks can be interpreted as emphasizing lagom.

The fact that humans have unquenchable thirst and insatiable appetites is not new wisdom. It’s found in early Vedic texts, in Ancient Greece, and in most of the world’s religions today (most starkly in Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism). But in the Swedish idea of lagom (lah-gomm), it has been given fresh life.

Lagom translates as “just the right amount.” It means knowing when enough is enough, and trying to find balance and moderation rather than constantly grasping for more. Lagom is that feeling of contentment we all get when we have all that we need to make us comfortable. It’s neither a millionaire’s splurge in Vegas, nor a pauper’s cold winter night. It means having a roof over your head, food in your belly, friends at your back, and money — just enough money — in your pockets.

There are two separate strands to lagom. The first is a kind of social awareness that recognizes that what we do affects other people. In this, we might see lagom more as a kind of “fair use” policy. If you take three cookies from the plate, two other people aren’t going to get one. If you hoard and grab everything you can, elbowing and cursing your way to the front of the line, then at best, that makes you a bit of an ass. At worst, it leaves others in ruin.

The second strand, however, is a mental shift that finds contentment in satisfaction. Many of us have internalized the idea that bigger means better, that a bank balance means status, and that excess means happiness. Lagom, though, is to enjoy the “just right.” It’s not simply learning to “enjoy the simple things,” but also appreciating that sometimes less really is more. Lagom is knowing that enjoying the now of what you have does not mean you need to add more of it.

https://bigthink.com/thinking/swedish-philosophy-lagom-just-enough/

So what you're saying is manufacturing problems like "systemic"racism, the gender pay gap, misgendering, etc etc etc is anti lagom?

So what you're saying is manufacturing problems like "systemic"racism, the gender pay gap, misgendering, etc etc etc is anti lagom?

That doesn't make any sense.

Temperance is a separate issue from justice.

That doesn't make any sense.

Temperance is a separate issue from justice.

Maybe but you write:

"Lagom is that feeling of contentment we all get when we have all that we need to make us comfortable."

If the message is "systemic" racism is responsible for someone not having all that they need for contentment, how would you get person achieve lagom?

Maybe but you write:

"Lagom is that feeling of contentment we all get when we have all that we need to make us comfortable."

If the message is "systemic" racism is responsible for someone not having all that they need for contentment, how would you get person achieve lagom?

I think that is referring to the material necessities of life.

Being content doesn't mean being lazy and living like a recluse. Ghandi lived a material life of simplicity, he didn't strike me as depressed or massively stressed out, but he still committeed himself to issues of liberation and social justice.

I think that is referring to the material necessities of life.

Being content doesn't mean being lazy and living like a recluse. Ghandi lived a material life of simplicity, he didn't strike me as depressed or massively stressed out, but he still committeed himself to issues of liberation and social justice.

I would agree wholeheartedly. The message of "systemic" racism however is, you don't have what you need to feel content because the system is racist.

I didn't suggest anywhere that being content had anything whatsoever to do with being lazy or a recluse. Can you show where I did?

The difference I think is Ghandi was facing real issues of injustice not manufactured ones.

I would agree wholeheartedly. The message of "systemic" racism however is, you don't have what you need to feel content because the system is racist.

I didn't suggest anywhere that being content had anything whatsoever to do with being lazy or a recluse. Can you show where I did?

The difference I think is Ghandi was facing real issues of injustice not manufactured ones.

I don't agree that this philosophy of temperance somehow means being passive and insensitive to injustice.

I don't agree that this philosophy of temperance somehow means being passive and insensitive to injustice.

You havent indicated where I ever suggested such a thing. If you're only going to reply to what's in your head and not what I've written thats fine just let me know so I don't waste any more time. Thanks.

You havent indicated where I ever suggested such a thing. If you're only going to reply to what's in your head and not what I've written thats fine just let me know so I don't waste any more time. Thanks.

The insinuation that Ghandi faced real injustice, while injustice simply doesn't exist in the United States just didn't strike me as something worth responding to. Its just not true.

The insinuation that Ghandi faced real injustice, while injustice simply doesn't exist in the United States just didn't strike me as something worth responding to. Its just not true.

AGAIN I didn't say injustice doesnt exist. Can you cite where I did? You didn't support the last claim you made either. You don't because you can't. Systemic racism is a manufactured "injustice".

AGAIN I didn't say injustice doesnt exist. Can you cite where I did? You didn't support the last claim you made either. You don't because you can't. Systemic racism is a manufactured "injustice".

It's only your opinion that institutional racism doesn't exist.

I think someone could be perfectly self contented about their life, and still be inspired to work on social issues like racism.

It's only your opinion that institutional racism doesn't exist.

I think someone could be perfectly self contented about their life, and still be inspired to work on social issues like racism.

No its not my opinion. Systemic racism did actually exist at one time in the US but that has not been the case for decades.

I never suggested otherwise and its irrelevant to my point but you mindlessly repeat it. The people of blm hardly seem "perfectly self contented about their life..." We have very rich black people in America complaining about "systemic" racism. Its fascinating how a "systemically" racist system allows some blacks to not only be successful but VERY successful but not others. Its just manufactured "injustice"

No its not my opinion. Systemic racism did actually exist at one time in the US but that has not been the case for decades.

I never suggested otherwise and its irrelevant to my point but you mindlessly repeat it. The people of blm hardly seem "perfectly self contented about their life..." We have very rich black people in America complaining about "systemic" racism. Its fascinating how a "systemically" racist system allows some blacks to not only be successful but VERY successful but not others. Its just manufactured "injustice"

Institutional racism or systemic racism just means there is racial bias in our political, social, and economic institutions, not that every single individual American openly practices racial bigotry.

Institutional racism is obviously not nearly as bad as it was in 1890, but it is still an observable and measurable problem.

Institutional racism or systemic racism just means there is racial bias in our political, social, and economic institutions, not that every single individual American openly practices racial bigotry.

Institutional racism is obviously not nearly as bad as it was in 1890, but it is still an observable and measurable problem.

That's not accurate.

https://www.ourmayors.org/About/Active-Members

Most large cities in America have majority black city councils, and police forces and police chiefs.

There is no systemic racism

Cypress, do you believe that there's any way to not have institutional racism, or at the very least, strong racial resentment,
in a diverse, multi-racial, non-homogeneous nation?

I would very much like to believe that such a situation were possible,
but looking at it from the perspective of reality
as I've experienced it over nearly eight decades,
I will probably die feeling quite certain that such will never happen.

Other than your fervent wishes, Cypress,
can you give any practical reasons why it might?
I've already conceded that I cannot.

Cypress, do you believe that there's any way to not have institutional racism, or at the very least, strong racial resentment,
in a diverse, multi-racial, non-homogeneous nation?

I would very much like to believe that such a situation were possible,
but looking at it from the perspective of reality
as I've experienced it over nearly eight decades,
I will probably die feeling quite certain that such will never happen.

Other than your fervent wishes, Cypress,
can you give any practical reasons why it might?
I've already conceded that I cannot.

MAGAs, fascists, and Neonazis are going to be around as long as there are human beings.

A functioning democratic republic is going to ensure there is equality of opportunity and equality in education and health care.

Universal health care, affordable college, subsidized day care, mandatory vacation and sick leave, living minimum wage, strong labor and environmental justice laws would not only help people of color, but there might be less reason for hillbillies to feel grievance and resentment towards minorities.

MAGAs, fascists, and Neonazis are going to be around as long as there are human beings.

A functioning democratic republic is going to ensure there is equality of opportunity and equality in education and health care.

Universal health care, affordable college, subsidized day care, mandatory vacation and sick leave, living minimum wage, strong labor and environmental justice laws would not only help people of color, but there might be less reason for hillbillies to feel grievance and resentment towards minorities.

Basically my point.
Ethnically homogeneous societies with millennia of proud tradition and solidarity actually accomplish these things.

As a mash-up country, which we inarguably are, we don't seem capable of doing it.
We lack the solidarity to do it.
We're a plethora of tribes in an uneasy alliance.

Will that suddenly change?

I'd like that for future generations
but I could not in good conscience predict it.

Back