The universe requires a Creator

Originally the Hebrews worshiped the whole pantheon of Canaanite gods.

Probably so.

But that brings up another point: Anyone who sees the Old Testament as being monotheistic...just doesn't understand the word...or the Old Testament.

Probably so.

But that brings up another point: Anyone who sees the Old Testament as being monotheistic...just doesn't understand the word...or the Old Testament.

Well, initially God had a wife.. the Queen of Heaven.. That too is Canaanite. Must have lasted a long while because the have found over 4,000 small statutes to Asherah in and around Jerusalem.. She is also a Canaanite goddess from Ras Shamra (Ugarite)

Well, initially God had a wife.. the Queen of Heaven.. That too is Canaanite. Must have lasted a long while because the have found over 4,000 small statutes to Asherah in and around Jerusalem.. She is also a Canaanite goddess from Ras Shamra (Ugarite)

Okay. But there was also the acknowledgement that there were OTHER GODS to worship...and the admonishment not to do so!

Okay. But there was also the acknowledgement that there were OTHER GODS to worship...and the admonishment not to do so!

Quite true..

In antiquity all the nomadic Bedouin tribes carried their gods with them in a box on a litter.. Usually a piece of a meteorite.

The Hebrews were just a landless tribe of Canaanites.. and as such they were poor relations .. Finally they settled in Jerusalem which was a tiny hilltop village in bandit territory.. They were still poor .. The land was stony and arid.

at the time the Israelites came from Egypt the land was flowing with milk and honey.....and after they made Jerusalem their capital it became a city.....

Probably so.

????.....what does the part of thou shall have no other gods mean to you?......that its okay to have more than one?......

lol.....

at the time the Israelites came from Egypt the land was flowing with milk and honey.....and after they made Jerusalem their capital it became a city.....

That is nonsense.. Jerusalem has been stony and arid for the past 11,000 years.. And the facts are that anytime there was severe drought and famine people moved their livestock to the Nile Delta.. and they walked back and forth on dry land. Sinai and the hill country of Canaan were under Egyptian rule (at the time of the Exodus)..

There were Egyptian garrisons in Sinai guarding established Canaanite towns that produced pottery .. or were involved in mining and metallurgy. They paid tribute to Pharaoh.

????.....what does the part of thou shall have no other gods mean to you?......that its okay to have more than one?......

Actually, the quote should have been:

"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" Exodus 20:2

And you are correct, PP.

It does say that one should not worship any of the other gods that exist.

The definition of monotheism, though, is:

the doctrine or belief that there is but one God https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monotheism

As I said...the Bible is NOT monotheistic.

Asherah is identified as the queen consort of the Sumerian god Anu, and Ugaritic El, the oldest deities of their respective pantheons, as well as Yahweh, the god of Israel and Judah.

Have you never studied the Bible seriously?

Archaeologists discover: God's wife? - Archaeology - Haaretz.com

https://www.haaretz.com › Archaeology

Sep 15, 2013 - This is especially true in Jerusalem, which is the corpus I know the best, Darby says. She does not believe however that there is the textual or archaeological evidence that connects these particular terracottas to Asherah, the female deity. The fact is that Judahite pillar figurines were found in two Jerusalem ...

/shrugs......that was your choice wasn't it?.....

I do not "believe" your god exists...so I could not have initiated that.

I also do not "believe" your god does not exist. (As I've mentioned, I do not do "believing.")

But if it does...I am totally willing to be on speaking terms with it. All it has to do is to let me know it exists...which should be a snap, because you say it "created" the 200+ billions of stars in our galaxy and the 200+ billions of other galaxies.

I'm waitin'.

That is nonsense.. Jerusalem has been stony and arid for the past 11,000 years.. And the facts are that anytime there was severe drought and famine people moved their livestock to the Nile Delta.

true.....Jacob and his children did the same.......

Sinai and the hill country of Canaan were under Egyptian rule (at the time of the Exodus)
and that changed after the Exodus as I recall.....

Actually, the quote should have been:

"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" Exodus 20:2

And you are correct, PP.

It does say that one should not worship any of the other gods that exist.

The definition of monotheism, though, is:

the doctrine or belief that there is but one God https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monotheism

As I said...the Bible is NOT monotheistic.
thinking that was Israel's biggest fault as well....
Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me, 6 so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting people may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Psalm 86:10
For You are great and do wondrous deeds; You alone are God.

Nehemiah 9:6
"You alone are the LORD You have made the heavens, The heaven of heavens with all their host, The earth and all that is on it, The seas and all that is in them You give life to all of them And the heavenly host bows down before You.
2 Kings 19:19

"Now, O LORD our God, I pray, deliver us from his hand that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You alone, O LORD, are God."
2 Samuel 7:22
"For this reason You are great, O Lord GOD; for there is none like You, and there is no God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears
Deuteronomy 4:39

"Know therefore today, and take it to your heart, that the LORD, He is God in heaven above and on the earth below; there is no other

Last edited:
Asherah is identified as the queen consort of the Sumerian god Anu, and Ugaritic El, the oldest deities of their respective pantheons, as well as Yahweh, the god of Israel and Judah.

Have you never studied the Bible seriously?
yes I have.....its just that I never studied Sumerian religions seriously........link me to an authority that says Asherah was the wife of YHWH.....

Back