The US is insolvent !

:pke: at Beefy...at least dixie speaks in the first person...whether or not ya agree with his analysis...at least he is open and honest...unlike maineman et al..

There's nobody here that I dislike, and my above post is merely the observation that the fiscal problems in this country come from the spending end. There's plenty of revenue to run the government, but the waste is what royally pisses me off. And it bugs me that the Republican apologists are silent on that issue.

because, regardless of your off target rants, folks with lots of capital will continue to invest in our economy.

Will their investments lead to real growth in the economy? That is the question here, not whether rich people will invest their money, they will all invest their money in something, unless they put it in a mattress. If they are not investing in capitalist enterprises, and things they can make income profit from, it will not really create much growth in the economy, there is nothing to buy and sell to produce a profit. A new fire station or library, doesn't generate revenue, it doesn't create a profit, it isn't a capitalist venture of any kind, it provides a municipal service, and that is all nice and good, it just doesn't stimulate the economy much.

To contrast this, let's take a look at something that could actually happen some day soon... A small laboratory has developed a coal-based energy supply that is cheap to produce, plentiful and bountiful as a natural resource, and would totally revolutionize our dependence on foreign oil forever. The Federal Government will not get off their ass and fund the development, because of politics from various lobbies, and the small matter of the initial implementation, the project would be enormous... Estimates are $200-500 Billion, for the first phase. The option of private funding is more likely, if the tax rate is lower, and profits not penalized severely by regulation. We could get together the Bill Gates' and Donald Trumps of the World... Ted Turner, that Malcom dude... a few sheiks... hey... we can cover the tab for development easy!

The problem is, government's ability to restrict such nonsense, and apply strict tax law to any venture capitalists! Take all their money! They don't deserve it! Stop them from making money in progressing this country forward, how dare they! Liberals are too stupid to even understand this is sarcasm on my part, they are probably reading along, thinking.. damn, he makes sense to me! The simple-minded idiocy about economics in this country, absolutely astounds me! You are caught up in the oldest political appeal in human history, class envy. Those of you who are smart, or claim to be, certainly have trouble giving any supporting argument for your positions, other than your profound opinions. Taxing the rich more, is not going to fix America. Get that through your pinheads! It simply doesn't work, for a variety of reasons, namely because rich people ain't stupid.

They will continue to find ways to get as positive a return on their investment as the market and the law will allow.

Yes, and some of them will even find ways the law doesn't allow. In which case, the aren't likely paying into the revenues, are they? Some rich people will always find a way to screw over someone and stay rich, this is true. I sort of think a good deal of them are fairly above-board people, and make a conscious effort to obey the laws, and conduct their finances in accordance with the law. If the law says, you will pay 40% tax on your 'income', they will find ways to not make an 'income'. ....it's just basic logic, folks.

They always have and they always will. And every time they invest in any sort of equity instrument that generates a return, that equity instrument is simultaneously generating economic activity.

Yeah, rich people, no matter who they are, will invest their money in something, we've established this. Unless they are keeping their money in a mattress, it is invested in something, earning them some kind of dividend. I understand this point Maine, I don't know why you keep wanting to make it.

My argument is rich people earning an income through their entrepreneurship, by building a factory, by funding an upstart business venture, by investing in capitalist ventures and making a profit from it. These are what drive the economy. By drive I mean, vigorously move the economy forward, producing more and more sales and purchases, which produce more tax revenues to the government.

Your point about the stock markets and investing in municipal bonds, is only more proof that the rich do not need to make incomes. Taxing something that is not needed, is an effort in futility. You produce far more revenues from these people, by leaving the tax where it is, not raising it. If you are going to do anything, lower it! You would produce more revenue, history proves it.

It is the radical leftist spending of the Republicans that is the problem right now.

The Democrats killed the line-item veto, which enables Congress to pass whatever the hell they want to pass. The president can either sign it or veto it, he can't change it. Since that time, the Good Old Boys have been on a spending frenzy, and show no signs of stopping. It goes on with both sides, no doubt, it has to be that way for both parties to remain viable in Washington, because that is how they retain their votes and power. It's a fucked up mess, I agree. Changing it, starts with changing the attitudes of people who gulp the koolaid of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, and getting rid of the people who have no intentions of ever spending our money wisely.

"The Democrats killed the line-item veto, which enables Congress to pass whatever the hell they want to pass."

Please stop lying.

Bill Clinton signed the line item veto into law, and made good use of it. Until the Supreme Court ruled the law unconstitutional.

"The Democrats killed the line-item veto, which enables Congress to pass whatever the hell they want to pass."

Please stop lying.

Bill Clinton signed the line item veto into law, and made good use of it. Until the Supreme Court ruled the law unconstitutional.

What happened to the legislation to make the Line Item Veto a Constitutional Amendment? Please don't tell us a lie!

What happened to the legislation to make the Line Item Veto a Constitutional Amendment? Please don't tell us a lie!

The Line Item Veto Act of 1996 passed congress, and Bill Clinton signed it.

It went to the supreme court, where Poppy Bush-Appointee Anthony Kennedy wrote the majority opinon striking it down -- while that great Liberal justice, John Paul Stevens, wrote the dissenting opinion saying the line item veto was constitutional

republicans have had control of all three branches of government dixster.

I you couldn't pass the bill proposing a line item veto last year, the fault is yours.

HR 4890 was passed by the house of representatives in June of this year. The Senate has yet to act on it. Last I knew, you guys still have control of the Senate until next month.....

Prissy, maybe you missed my question... what happened after this? There was a bill in Congress to make the Line Item Veto a Constitutional Amendment, thus overriding the SC ruling. What happened to that bill?

Don't lie!

Prissy, maybe you missed my question... what happened after this? There was a bill in Congress to make the Line Item Veto a Constitutional Amendment, thus overriding the SC ruling. What happened to that bill?

Don't lie!

already answered. You had control of all three branches of government.

Anything that didn't happen last year, is your fault.

Dixie...asked and answered. next?

tell me again how investing in the stock market does not grow the economy?

tell me again how you think that the return on venture capital is taxed diffferently than the return on blue chips....

LOL... No, that's not what happened. As soon as the SC ruled, Republicans offered legislation to make it a Constitutional Amendment, and it was killed by the Democrats, who did control Congress in 1998.

Maine has mentioned legislation that is the second or third attempt at getting the Line Item Veto established as law. Democrats have thwarted every effort so far, so it's nice to know you are on board now, it should pass easily!

LOL... No, that's not what happened. As soon as the SC ruled, Republicans offered legislation to make it a Constitutional Amendment, and it was killed by the Democrats, who did control Congress in 1998.

Maine has mentioned legislation that is the second or third attempt at getting the Line Item Veto established as law. Democrats have thwarted every effort so far, so it's nice to know you are on board now, it should pass easily!

"it was killed by the Democrats, who did control Congress in 1998. "

Do you ever tell the truth?

Republicans controlled congress in 1998. Both house and senate. They've controlled it since 1994

Maine mentioned the bill that was passed by the house in June and not acted on by the republican controlled senate thereafter. THat is the fault of YOU guys.... accept that blame and quit trying to make it OUR fault.

and the bill was not to get the Line Item Veto established as law, but a constitutional amendment.... as stated earlier, it HAD been established as law during the Clinton administration.

"it was killed by the Democrats, who did control Congress in 1998. "

Do you ever tell the truth?

Republicans controlled congress in 1998. Both house and senate. They've controlled it since 1994

he lies about everything....I think it is pathological

*Sigh* Fine... you're right, republicans led by Ronald Reagan, have advocated a Line Item Veto since the inception of the idea, largely against the will of the Democrats until this past Congress, where Democrats were all in favor of it, and Republicans didn't bring it up for a vote. You're right, I am stupid, I didn't even think of that!

So, we can expect a Line Item Veto Amendment in the next Congress, right?

Back