Theology Question

There's a big difference between saying "I disbelieve there are gods" and saying "there are no gods". Unless you're an atheist, then they are the same thing. LOL

Gotta nitpick this. There are actually two strains of atheism. One says "there is no God" the other simply fails to believe in God. I agree with you that the two are very different concepts. But technically speaking atheists fall into either the "strong" atheism (the one that makes the universal negative claim) and "weak" atheists who simply fail to believe.

-end of nitpicking. :)

Gotta nitpick this. There are actually two strains of atheism. One says "there is no God" the other simply fails to believe in God. I agree with you that the two are very different concepts. But technically speaking atheists fall into either the "strong" atheism (the one that makes the universal negative claim) and "weak" atheists who simply fail to believe.

-end of nitpicking. :)

There's more than two strains. The fact remains it's a belief. Only the fucking morons think differently.

The real answer is nobody knows. Big mystery. No one knows the answer. Those who claim they do are fooling themselves.

Gotta nitpick this. There are actually two strains of atheism. One says "there is no God"
Incorrect. Don't bother trying to follow along on the first go because it involves logic, and I think you are allergic to logic if I'm not mistaken.

The belief that there are no gods is a theistic belief.
This precludes atheism.
Only the complete lack of any theism is atheism.

NOT believing in any gods is a requirement for atheism, but it is only a part. The lack of ANY theism is the full requirement for atheism.

Doc Dutch will tell you something different.because he burned away his mental capacity through heavy drug use during his "spiritual journey.". Now he's a babbling moron who appears indistinguishable from a shock-therapy patient. If you actually lend him credence, you'll only have yourself to blame.

Incorrect. Don't bother trying to follow along on the first go because it involves logic, and I think you are allergic to logic if I'm not mistaken....

....Doc Dutch will tell you something different.because he burned away his mental capacity through heavy drug use during his "spiritual journey.". Now he's a babbling moron who appears indistinguishable from a shock-therapy patient. If you actually lend him credence, you'll only have yourself to blame.
Sybil is regressing to a HS student mentality. He thinks having all three of his socks dogpile others means that he wins the "debate". Sybil be cray-cray. :rofl2:

Sybil is regressing to a HS student mentality.
This is just Terry having a junior-high flashback. There's nothing to see here. Terry thinks everything is highschool oriented.

He thinks having all three of his socks dogpile others
Is Sybil transgender? Is Terry transgender?

means that he wins the "debate".
Nope. I just always win. Unfortunately, too often I win due to forfeit. The world is awash in your kind of stupid. i.e. people whose mind is for rent and who suffer extended vacancies.

Sybil be cray-cray.
Many people, such as yourself, are too stupid to realize when they have lost, and continue wasting their time solidifying my victory after I have already left with the prize. I find it exceedingly amusing how you will stoop to levels of immaturity once held by my young children, although it does bring back fond memories.

So, thank you for that. Please keep the "cray-crays" coming. It reminds me of the time when my son, who was about six at the time, asked me "Dad, what's black and white and (red?) all over?" I suspected that there was a new twist on the old joke, so I responded questioningly "Um, a Zebra?" ... and I was crushed when he said "Aaaaww, how did you know?" It turns out that he had just heard that joke for the first time. Yeah, and he'd say "cray-cray" too.

There's more than two strains. The fact remains it's a belief. Only the fucking morons think differently.

The real answer is nobody knows. Big mystery. No one knows the answer. Those who claim they do are fooling themselves.

Atheism is not a belief. By claiming this, you're suggesting a false equivalence between theism and atheism. There is no observable phenomenon to justify theism as a respectable stance.

If God is all powerful, why can God not make everyone happy? If God created the entire universe, why not create a utopia?

If God cannot make everyone happy, God is not all powerful.
If God can make everyone happy and does not, God is cruel and petty.

Solution, God is not all powerful and cannot make everyone happy.

Even God has limits to power.

You're really dumb.

This is a very strong opening. Well done. Unfortunately you then make three egregious errors:

ERROR 1

You just claimed #1. You need to say that it takes courage to profess being/remaining unconvinced by any theism.

ERROR 2

You are one of the many people who misunderstand the term "agnostic"...you think it means "to not know.". It does not.

An agnostic is a person who has taken a philosophical position on whether a certain set of beliefs is knowable. Two Christians who have full faith in the Christian God can nonetheless debate whether the existence of their God is knowable.

Your error here is in not recognizing that knowing and believing are separate and disjoint topics, that one does not believe what one knows and vice versa. Ergo, everyone who has a faith "does not know" and would otherwise have to be called an "agnostic" under your mistaken definition.

Additional Error: There is certainly logic to any philosophical position on what is knowable.

ERROR 3

Philosophy is not constrained to nature. You are conflating philosophy with science. Philosophy also addresses the supernatural and is the basis for religious doctrines.

Cool story. The fact is that theism is not a justified stance. Nothing in reality compels us towards theism. In fact, theism is perfectly explained by evolutionary psychology.

So you are saying that you KNOW there are no gods?

That is what you mean when you say you are an atheist?

Horseshit!

Your assertion that there are no gods is nothing but a blind guess. I do thank you for that, but don't try to make it anything more than that...a blind guess.

I can also "guess" that there are no superheroes or magical donkeys orbiting Uranus. I can also "guess" that the sun will be in the sky tomorrow and that gravity won't magically disappear, and that I won't randomly sprout a third arm.

I can also "guess" that there are no superheroes or magical donkeys orbiting Uranus. I can also "guess" that the sun will be in the sky tomorrow and that gravity won't magically disappear, and that I won't randomly sprout a third arm.

Yes. I grew weary of that "blind guess" stuff.

You can make any kind of guesses you want.

But they are guesses.

Some of the stuff you mentioned would not be guesses...but if you are going to assert there are no gods...then that IS a guess...and a blind guess at that.

What problem do you have with that?

Are you actually under the misapprehension that such an assertion is NOT a guess?

Atheism is not a belief. By claiming this, you're suggesting a false equivalence between theism and atheism. There is no observable phenomenon to justify theism as a respectable stance.

Nonsense!

I suggest that ANY and EVERY person who identifies as an atheist (weak or strong atheist) does so because of a "belief"...which is to say, a blind guess about the REALITY of existence.

People who use "atheist" as a self-descriptor either "believe" that there are no gods...or "believe" that it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one. Neither of those things can be known. They can only be "beliefs"...or guesses.

The protestation from people who use "atheist" as a descriptor that they are without "beliefs" is bullshit.

Back