Theology Question

Atheism is not a belief. By claiming this, you're suggesting a false equivalence between theism and atheism. There is no observable phenomenon to justify theism as a respectable stance.

Ooh....a High School debate team member. LOL

Congrats on being selected to speak for all atheists, but, as this and other threads prove, anyone who says "there is no god/gods/afterlife" is espousing a belief by virtue of the fact they can't prove their belief.

Nonsense!

I suggest that ANY and EVERY person who identifies as an atheist (weak or strong atheist) does so because of a "belief"...which is to say, a blind guess about the REALITY of existence.

People who use "atheist" as a self-descriptor either "believe" that there are no gods...or "believe" that it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one. Neither of those things can be known. They can only be "beliefs"...or guesses.

The protestation from people who use "atheist" as a descriptor that they are without "beliefs" is bullshit.

Agreed. It's why the High Priest of Militant Atheism, Richard Dawkins, didn't label himself a 7 on his Belief Scale.

The only logical POV is agnostic; saying "I don't know because it's unprovable at this time".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of_theistic_probability

If God is all powerful, why can God not make everyone happy? If God created the entire universe, why not create a utopia?

If God cannot make everyone happy, God is not all powerful.
If God can make everyone happy and does not, God is cruel and petty.

Solution, God is not all powerful and cannot make everyone happy.

Even God has limits to power.

God, if he was real and all-powerful, could make everyone happy. Per the Bible, he did make everyone happy via the Garden of Eden, but then he sent the snake to trick Adam and Eve, knowing (because he's all-knowing) that they would eat the apple and ruin everything. So, basically he chose to create a perfect world and then cause it to devolve into the world we currently live in.

Last edited:
God, if he was real and all-powerful, could make everyone happy. Per the Bible, he did make everyone happy via the Garden of Eden, but then he sent the snake to trick Adam and Eve, knowing (because he's all-knowing) that they would eat the apple and ruin everything. So, basically he chose to create a perfect world and then cause it to devolve into the world we currently live in.
Wouldn't living in eternity be perfect bliss? If God did make everyone happy, why make the Natural Universe? What would be the purpose?

Sounds like Trump.

Wouldn't living in eternity be perfect bliss? If God did make everyone happy, why make the Natural Universe? What would be the purpose?

I don't know. I'm just stating the obvious - God made earth essentially perfect and then setup Adam and Eve to ruin it, knowing that they would ruin it. Now, Christians are basically waiting for Jesus/God to return, hurl non-believers into the eternal lake of fire and return earth to how he originally made it.

You are not very intelligent.

Actually, I am of reasonable intelligence...and I am able to express my positions on issues clearly and coherently. Back when one had to earn the right to express opinions on issues rather than just go to an Internet forum and shoot the shit, I was able to get an op ed size piece published in the N. Y. Times...and a full page My Turn in Newsweek Magazine. Both of those were major accomplishments for those of us who wanted to have a say in the issues of our times. I've also had hundreds of letters-to-the-editor selected for publication in newspapers and magazines across this country...and in England.

So your bullshit about me not being very intelligent provides little more than a guffaw. That is what you have earned...derisive laughter.

Actually, I am of reasonable intelligence...and I am able to express my positions on issues clearly and coherently. Back when one had to earn the right to express opinions on issues rather than just go to an Internet forum and shoot the shit, I was able to get an op ed size piece published in the N. Y. Times...and a full page My Turn in Newsweek Magazine. Both of those were major accomplishments for those of us who wanted to have a say in the issues of our times. I've also had hundreds of letters-to-the-editor selected for publication in newspapers and magazines across this country...and in England.

So your bullshit about me not being very intelligent provides little more than a guffaw. That is what you have earned...derisive laughter.

You keep reposting the same things over and over.

I think you are a right wing troll.

On almost all social matters, I am to the left of people like Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar. I have no idea of why you think me to be a troll (I am not), but to make it a "right wing" troll is an absurdity.

I would be delighted to hear what you suppose to be evidence (of any kind) that I have any right wing tendencies or proclivities. (Actually, there are two areas where I tend to be more in line with conservative sensibilities, but I avoid those two topics as much as possible. And the reason for my tendencies on those two items are totally different from the motivation of conservatives.)

So...point to anything.

On almost all social matters, I am to the left of people like Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar. I have no idea of why you think me to be a troll (I am not), but to make it a "right wing" troll is an absurdity.

I would be delighted to hear what you suppose to be evidence (of any kind) that I have any right wing tendencies or proclivities. (Actually, there are two areas where I tend to be more in line with conservative sensibilities, but I avoid those two topics as much as possible. And the reason for my tendencies on those two items are totally different from the motivation of conservatives.)

So...point to anything.

More "blind guesses."

More "blind guesses."

What are you talking about? Have you gone nuts?

I occasionally make blind guesses...which I acknowledge as blind guesses. I'm a poker player...and making guesses (often blind guesses) is an integral part of the game.

So...anything indicating a right wing bent in my posts? Or are you like the right wingers who see left wingers as the real instigators of the 1/6 Capitol riots?

What are you talking about? Have you gone nuts?

I occasionally make blind guesses...which I acknowledge as blind guesses. I'm a poker player...and making guesses (often blind guesses) is an integral part of the game.

So...anything indicating a right wing bent in my posts? Or are you like the right wingers who see left wingers as the real instigators of the 1/6 Capitol riots?

Blind guesses. See how annoying it is to read your constantly reposted phrase over and over?

Blind guesses. See how annoying it is to read your constantly reposted phrase over and over?

It is not annoying. It is mystifying, because I do not understand the context.

And assertions about the existence or non-existence of gods; afterlife; and other issues like that...

...ARE ALMOST ALWAYS NOTHING BUT BLIND GUESSES.

If you want to challenge that...do it. We can discuss it.

It is not annoying. It is mystifying, because I do not understand the context.

And assertions about the existence or non-existence of gods; afterlife; and other issues like that...

...ARE ALMOST ALWAYS NOTHING BUT BLIND GUESSES.

If you want to challenge that...do it. We can discuss it.

I always challenge you. You always refuse to answer. You never discuss it.

I always challenge you. You always refuse to answer. You never discuss it.

Stop with the bullshit. I have never refused to respond to any question. Sometimes a question cannot be answered...but a response is appropriate. And I am willing to discuss with anyone.

Think of a question you suppose you have asked me...and that refused to respond. I will respond right now.

I'll wait.

Stop with the bullshit. I have never refused to respond to any question. Sometimes a question cannot be answered...but a response is appropriate. And I am willing to discuss with anyone.

Think of a question you suppose you have asked me...and that refused to respond. I will respond right now.

I'll wait.

Tired of you writing and writing and...EVADING.

Back