Theology Question

I didn't say you did. I actually quoted what you said. I'll quote it again:

"Talking about the nature of God is not a blind guess. "

I am saying it is.

By the way, saying "talking about the nature of God" is sorta suggesting there is a god.

So make an assertion about "God"...and we can determine if it is a blind guess or not.

C'mon. You are mouthing off about this. Now...show your mettle. Actually challenge me...rather than just saying you have challenged me.

Make an assertion about "God" that is not a blind guess. Should be easy for you...since you are asserting that talking about the nature of God is not a blind guess.

blind guess, blind guess, ad nauseum

blind guess, blind guess, ad nauseum

You are a loser.

If you could actually make "an assertion about god" that is not a blind guess...you would have done so by now.

You realize that you cannot...so you are taking the phony way out...rather than simply acknowledging that you cannot.

Okay. It happens.

It actually is funny to watch.

You are a loser.

If you could actually make "an assertion about god" that is not a blind guess...you would have done so by now.

You realize that you cannot...so you are taking the phony way out...rather than simply acknowledging that you cannot.

Okay. It happens.

It actually is funny to watch.

What is your idea of God? You never stated it. Not, is it true; just tell me the idea of God you have. Where did it come from?

What is your idea of God? You never stated it. Not, is it true; just tell me the idea of God you have. Where did it come from?

Okay, I will answer this...but I expect you to make an assertion about what you consider to be "God" or an assertion about the nature of that "God"...that you feel is not a blind guess.

What is your idea of God? You never stated it.

Here is my position on the issue of "God."

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;

I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;

I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;

I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

I have posted that...exactly that way, at least a dozen times in this forum. That is one reason why it is important to repeat one's self...because some people miss important posts.

Not, is it true; just tell me the idea of God you have.

IF there is a "God"...it is the entity responsible for the creation of what we humans call "the physical universe" and everything in it.

Where did it come from?

Beats the shit out of me. My blind guess would be: IT ALWAYS HAS EXISTED...if it exists.

Now...you are up.

Make an assertion about whether a "God" exists or not...or an assertion about the nature of any god that might exist...

...THAT IS NOT A BLIND GUESS.

IF there is a "God"...it is the entity responsible for the creation of what we humans call "the physical universe" and everything in it.

Beats the shit out of me. My blind guess would be: IT ALWAYS HAS EXISTED...if it exists.

You do not where you got that idea? It is a standard teaching of Christianity. I learned it in Sunday School. St Thomas wrote that God created the universe.

You do not where you got that idea?

What are you asking here? Obviously there is a typo, but I am not sure of what the typo is.

It is a standard teaching of Christianity. I learned it in Sunday School. St Thomas wrote that God created the universe.

Aquinas wrote lots of things...many of which I consider wrong-headed. But, yes, there are church fathers who wrote that "God" created the universe.

They were making a blind guess there.

The assumption that there is a "God"...is itself a blind guess.

Assuming that It created the universe...is another blind guess.

Maybe...just maybe...this thing we humans call "the universe" has always existed. It is a great mystery. Even thinking about it causes discomfort, because "always" is a very difficult concept for the human mind to consider.

But I am still waiting for ANY consideration about "God" that is not a guess...one that is made on such ambiguous, scant evidence that I feel comfortable calling it a blind guess.

What are you asking here? Obviously there is a typo, but I am not sure of what the typo is.

Aquinas wrote lots of things...many of which I consider wrong-headed. But, yes, there are church fathers who wrote that "God" created the universe.

They were making a blind guess there.

The assumption that there is a "God"...is itself a blind guess.

Assuming that It created the universe...is another blind guess.

Maybe...just maybe...this thing we humans call "the universe" has always existed. It is a great mystery. Even thinking about it causes discomfort, because "always" is a very difficult concept for the human mind to consider.

But I am still waiting for ANY consideration about "God" that is not a guess...one that is made on such ambiguous, scant evidence that I feel comfortable calling it a blind guess.

Tired of the blind guess stuff. You are too ignorant to waste my time with.

Ancient Athenians did not conceive God as a Creator. Aristotle had a concept of God but it was not a Creator.

I have written about that. Many religions have existed without a creator god; many have existed without a punishing/rewarding god; many have existed without an infallible, all-powerful god.

And many have existed without a god that dictated a moral code.

But you asked me about what I, Frank Apisa, means when I say "god"...what MY idea of "god" is.

I have written about that. Many religions have existed without a creator god; many have existed without a punishing/rewarding god; many have existed without an infallible, all-powerful god.

And many have existed without a god that dictated a moral code.

But you asked me about what I, Frank Apisa, means when I say "god"...what MY idea of "god" is.

Yes, you answered it.

Tired of the blind guess stuff. You are too ignorant to waste my time with.

I am not ignorant...and my comments are a world better, more intellectual, than anything you produce.

And if you think you are wasting your time...what the hell are you doing it for?

Just stop replying...stop with your bullshit.

I am like a chess grandmaster.

You are far from a grandmaster at anything.

You are a beginner. Every you say I learned in Sunday School.

You cannot even be relied upon to offer your thoughts in a coherent sentence. What the hell does "Every you say I learned in Sunday School." mean?

You think being a sceptic is profound, it is not. You are incapable of critical thought.

I am capable of much more profound and critical thought than you, BP.

But you need to kid yourself...so have at it.

It is entertaining.

You are far from a grandmaster at anything.

You cannot even be relied upon to offer your thoughts in a coherent sentence. What the hell does "Every you say I learned in Sunday School." mean?

I am capable of much more profound and critical thought than you, BP.

But you need to kid yourself...so have at it.

It is entertaining.

All you have are blind guesses. That's that.

All you have are blind guesses. That's that.

No, that is not all I have. But any assertions about gods and their nature...are almost certainly blind guesses.

If you had even one assertion that is not a blind guess...you would have offered it.

You have nothing.

Nothing is more ironic than an agnostic claiming he has certain knowledge there cannot be certain knowledge.

Oh, poor you. Losing so badly, that you are now grasping at straws.

Anyway, my wife just asked if we could do dinner, so I am going to be away for a while.

Start with the insults...the thing you do whenever you are being beaten in one of these discussions.

I especially enjoy them.

hysterical-laughter.gif

Back