Thinking of enlisting

ib1yysguy

Talk me out of enlisting in the army. The signing bonuses are attractive enough now to make it almost worth it.

Talk me out of enlisting in the army. The signing bonuses are attractive enough now to make it almost worth it.

610x.jpg

If you want to enlist, look at one of the branches that can offer better technical training and a much lower mortality rate.

Look at the Navy or Air Force before you enlist.

Ib1 aren't you a programmer.
enlisting for financial bonus, dude cant you make way more coin in the private sector and never get shot at???

Not only take a long look at the picture Darla posted, but you'd better take a real good look at the fine print of those signing bonuses.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/13660.html

Jeez, I hadn't heard about this either. That is horrible. Some bureacrat should be beaten within an inch of his life for this sort of thing.

But I have said over and over, the gnomes that run the benefits for veterans and active duty personnel are NOT interested in taking care of their people. They are interested in making the benefits difficult to get.

It gets worse ...

While the military is demanding that wounded soldiers pay back their signing bonuses ..

Blackwater Overseers to Get Bonuses

U.S. government officials who have overseen the controversial Blackwater security firm's activities in Iraq are slated to receive thousands of dollars in performance bonuses, despite controversy surrounding the company.

A State Department document obtained by ABC News shows Diplomatic Security officials Kevin Barry and Justine Sincavage will receive between $10,000 and $15,000 for their "outstanding performance." Barry and Sincavage, who managed Blackwater's contract for the department, recently received promotions as well, ABC News reported in October.

Blackwater has denied the allegations against it, including charges it improperly fired upon and killed Iraqi civilians, smuggled weapons into Iraq, and dodged payroll taxes. Company founder Erik Prince called the shooting allegations "negative and baseless."

A State Department review released in October found serious problems with the operations of the Diplomatic Security Service (DSS), including lax oversight of Blackwater USA and other private security contractors.

Ambassador Richard Griffin resigned his post as head of DSS in October, immediately following the report's release.

The monetary awards for Barry and Sincavage were recommended by the 2007 Senior Foreign Service Performance Pay Selection Boards, which met this summer. They are to receive the awards Dec. 20, according to the State Department document. News of the awards was first reported by the Web site TPMmuckraker.com.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/12/blackwater-over.html

We can give bonuses to mercenaries but can't take care of our own soldiers. Nice.

Take out a loan for the amount that would have been your signing bonus.

Then put that amount in a bank account and dont touch it. Then faithfully make the payments on the loan. if you do a three year or five year loan structure you will be surprized at how quickly the time goes and then at the end you have the same amount they would have given you plus interest as well as all your limbs and no PTSD.

Take out a loan for the amount that would have been your signing bonus.

Then put that amount in a bank account and dont touch it. Then faithfully make the payments on the loan. if you do a three year or five year loan structure you will be surprized at how quickly the time goes and then at the end you have the same amount they would have given you plus interest as well as all your limbs and no PTSD.

Um... that doesn't work desh.

If you take out a loan for $30k and pay back the $30k you will only have the interest you earned minus the interest you paid. Given that most loans today will cost more than you can earn (unless you take additional risk), you will likely end up losing money in that scenario.

Like I said you dont touch the money you were loaned.

You stick it in the bank and pay the loan installments out of your paycheck.

When its all over you have the 30,000 still in the bank + the interest it incrued.

Like I said you dont touch the money you were loaned.

You stick it in the bank and pay the loan installments out of your paycheck.

When its all over you have the 30,000 still in the bank + the interest it incrued.
However, when it is over you have paid more in interest than you earned. It would be better to take the money you were going to pay to the bank for the loan and put it directly in that bank account.

Your plan is a net money loser.

Yes but this was about talking him out of enlisting and the differance is well worth keeping all your limbs and not suffering PTSD.

Yes but this was about talking him out of enlisting and the differance is well worth keeping all your limbs and not suffering PTSD.
It isn't.

Again, take the amount you would have paid to the bank each month and deposit it in the account. Then you have a net winner.

You give no incentive when your plan is to lose money and the original incentive was the cash.

you are failing to comprehend.... in your scenario... you LOSE money. He is better off just setting aside that "loan payment" each month and putting it into a savings account.

Damo, it was a way for him to have the Money now. It was an example of way the money should not be tempting him compared to the sacrafice he would actually be making.

The main differance would be he was not in Iraq. These bonuses are given to the people who are going to go through basic training and then shipped to Iraq.

The whole Idea of the exercize was to give him a reason to to pay that price for the money. It was a brain visual.

If I was advising someone for just money purposes of course I would tell them to just save that amount out of their monthly paychecks.

OK kids heres a saying tip. When you get a job figure out just how much money beyond your bills you have. Now cut that amount in half and write yourself a bill to pay everymonth. The name of that bill is for example "My first house" or say "My I will never starve fund". Pay that bill evey month BEFORE you pay any other bill.

Back