Thinking of enlisting

What are they offering you? If its anything less than 50K you'd be crazy to take it.

break it down in hours: How much your regular salary would cost + all the time that you will owe. If that's less than what you make now you'd be stupid to even consider it.

40,000 toward a house or seed money for a business plus my federally subsidized student loans would be forgiven (probably worth about $20k).

40,000 toward a house or seed money for a business plus my federally subsidized student loans would be forgiven (probably worth about $20k).

$60K all together?

Assuming the $40K is not going to be taxed at a federal level, you're looking at the equivalent of $80K gross(give or take a few grand depending on your qualified deductions) that you could make in regular industry.

Personally, there is no way in hell I would do it. You're going to be obligated to be their endentured servant for the next (4+?) years. The average $20K/yr of bonus money isn't worth the physical risk or the lack of freedom you'll have if/when you are called. And then when you start to look at on a per hour basis of what you're really making while you're deployed in some war zone shit hole, then its really pennies.

And as BAC pointed out, god forbid you get hurt. They'll want it back. Its not worth the risk. If you need that kind of money you're better off just working your ass off at a second job. That's what I would do.

There are a lot of very valid reasons for joining the military.

But cash just doesn't seem to be a very good one.

Well, it is a shame. We have lost a long-time friend who found the picture of a Marine used against what he stood for to be too much.

I cannot say who it is, but it is unfortunately true.

See you later friend.

Well, it is a shame. We have lost a long-time friend who found the picture of a Marine used against what he stood for to be too much.

I cannot say who it is, but it is unfortunately true.

See you later friend.

What's the point of this post?

Money is the last reason to join the military....
If that is your motive, don't join....

You won't like the life, and real soldiers or sailors, there for the right reasons, won't like you....

In case they come back as a "guest" I hope to change their mind.

I find it offensive that I go to the movies and see recruitment advertisements that look like big-budget video games, and there is no sign of the soliders who have lost their faces. This guy wasn't the only one.

The truth is ugly.

And it should be known.

So take your sanctimonous bullshit and whoever else has the problem, and stick it in your ass.

Every human being stands for something. I do. And I sit for no one.

I have been adding my two-cents to this thread all along. But I must've missed something.

Did someone get pissed and leave because of things said here? Or are we bidding farewell to someone?

I find it offensive that I go to the movies and see recruitment advertisements that look like big-budget video games, and there is no sign of the soliders who have lost their faces. This guy wasn't the only one.

The truth is ugly.

And it should be known.

So take your sanctimonous bullshit and whoever else has the problem, and stick it in your ass.

Every human being stands for something. I do. And I sit for no one.
If you were leaving because of that, I would post a post much like this one.

However, you are not so you can take your own superiority complex and bag it.

I have been adding my two-cents to this thread all along. But I must've missed something.

Did someone get pissed and leave because of things said here? Or are we bidding farewell to someone?
Somebody got hacked because of the photo. They are leaving, I was attempting to bring them back. Darla just wants to talk about her opinion, which is what the site is all about and I hope she continues doing so. Even with my "bag it" comment.

My point is also, that I am not going to change or delete the photo or post because I believe in free speech, even if I do lose a friend over it.

Somebody got hacked because of the photo. They are leaving, I was attempting to bring them back. Darla just

No, you are the one who suggested that they are morally superior, because deep down, you agree with them.

And you don't like the other side of that.

You're an ass.

You really are a closet case. bUt not the kind Cypress talks about.
I just answered you in kind. Touchy much?

Seriously, you take my post and make it some sort of support for the war? You know that such an opinion placed incorrectly on me is projection of expectation and not based in reality.

No, you are the one who suggested that they are morally superior, because deep down, you agree with them.

And you don't like the other side of that.
I don't. Please read the post as I changed it.

You are again projecting somebody else's opinion onto me. We disagree in application, I wish for a far more permanent solution than you do and am unwilling to settle this time.

Anyway, I hope they come back regardless.

I just answered you in kind. Touchy much?

Seriously, you take my post and make it some sort of support for the war? You know that such an opinion placed incorrectly on me is projection of expectation and not based in reality.

Its not about support for the war, necessarily, it's about glorification of the military, which is the reason that guy had no face. And you do that, and you're on the same page as WRL with that. I am sick and goddamned tired of the moral superiority of people like WRL hiding behind the military as they glorify death, and suffering, and hell on earth. I think that they are sick, twisted people, and the glorification of the military is a part of our culture which allows for the glorification of war.

Well, that's one result of war, what you see in that picture. We live in a time where we have embedded reporters, you can't show caskets on tv, you can't show dead marines on tv, you can't show wounded solidiers on tv. War has been sanitized, so that people feel ok about supporting it.

Well, let them take a good look at what they are supporting. I wouldn't bother to post pictures of dead and dying Iraqi children. I know they don't matter. But that is United States solidier. And he's not the only one. I stood face to face with one of them who had lost their face. He threatened to put a bullet in my face, not in my head, but in my face. The police had to talk to him. And I wasn't angry, because I understood, he had no face. And with his face, went quite a bit of his mind.

So let the good people of America take a look at what they did. And if you really have a problem with it, then delete it or block me. But please, with these posts. Gag me.

Its not about support for the war, necessarily, it's about glorification of the military, which is the reason that guy had no face. And you do that, and you're on the same page as WRL with that. I am sick and goddamned tired of the moral superiority of people like WRL hiding behind the military as they glorify death, and suffering, and hell on earth. I think that they are sick, twisted people, and the glorification of the military is a part of our culture which allows for the glorification of war.

Prove it, show one post of mine that shows me doing that. You are projecting expectations again and shooting randomly hoping to hit a target.

Well, that's one result of war, what you see in that picture. We live in a time where we have embedded reporters, you can't show caskets on tv, you can't show dead marines on tv, you can't show wounded solidiers on tv. War has been sanitized, so that people feel ok about supporting it.

The first thing I thought when seeing it was how he had given his all in Iraq. I thought it was something he appeared to be proud of in that photo. I'm sad that he lost the battle in the end. However, I never once suggested that you should remove the photo. I think again, you are projecting an opinion onto me that doesn't exist in reality because you want it to be there so bad. If you want to battle that opinion speak to somebody who has it.

Well, let them take a good look at what they are supporting. I wouldn't bother to post pictures of dead and dying Iraqi children. I know they don't matter. But that is United States solidier. And he's not the only one. I stood face to face with one of them who had lost their face. He threatened to put a bullet in my face, not in my head, but in my face. The police had to talk to him. And I wasn't angry, because I understood, he had no face. And with his face, went quite a bit of his mind.

Hence the reason I never suggested to remove it, and specifically told WRL that I wouldn't do that. People have a right to express opinions, even such ones as he may find offensive.

So let the good people of America take a look at what they did. And if you really have a problem with it, then delete it or block me. But please, with these posts. Gag me.

Again, you are pretending I have an opinion I have never expressed. Never told you to be quiet. I simply point out, in the same pretentious manner you posted originally, your assumptions.

Anyway, Your assumptive inanities notwithstanding. Nobody at all has told you to be quiet, nobody has edited your posts, nobody deleted the photo, nobody has done any of what you pre-victimize all over this thread about. I have simply stated that a friend of mine was leaving and was hoping to shame him into returning.

Absolutely nobody is doing any of what you are complaining about here.

Back