Thinking of enlisting

The worst thing, in my humble opinion, about being an officer is the ID card.

Mine had a date that I could look towards with anticipation. On an officer's ID card instead of a date for the end of active duty it says "INDEFINITE".

Well, that and the fact that they can come back and get you anytime after you get out.

That depends...if regular commissioned or reserve commissioned..I was reserve commissioned...as a 2nd Lt your actual grade is Sgt E-5 and you must serve 2 years as a commissioned Officer to pay back your training...or you could resign your commission and serve the remainder as enlisted..if you so chose and stayed in regular service and met the promotion to field grade service..a Major or above then you became one of the indefinites that you are talking about! Not sure if they still do it this way today! Check the fine print...lol

Talk me out of enlisting in the army. The signing bonuses are attractive enough now to make it almost worth it.

I can understand a young dude being attracted to all that money.

All I've gotta say, is by the time you hit 35, 45, or 55, and look back, that money will seem trivial in the grand scheme of things. And as for me personally, no amount of money could clear conscience for being a party to war crimes and an illegal and immoral war.

Translation....

I can understand a young dude being attracted to all that money.

All I've gotta say, is by the time you hit 35, 45, or 55, and look back, that money will seem trivial in the grand scheme of things. And as for me personally, no amount of money could clear conscience for being a party to war crimes and an illegal and immoral war.

cypress=:hide::chicken:

I believe there is a lot to be said for enlisting. The training is available that would cost mega-buck elsewhere. And the experience of it is worth a lot. To those of us who see it, there is a sense of honor in having served.

But I do recommend looking at the Navy. The conditions are typically better, the technology is cutting edge, and the mortality rate is much lower.

There is nothing wrong with serving your country. Just make sure that you are clear that enlisting or going to OCS and then in to the Military means you will have some part in the war either in Iraq or Afghanistan. I am very proud of my service in the Army. I got to do things in the Army I could not have done ANYWHERE else. I got to jump out of airplanes, I got to participate in lots of "high speed" training and they sent me to Germany. I knew that when I signed up that the first thing on my job discription was the possibility of giving my life in the service of my country.

Talk me out of enlisting in the army. The signing bonuses are attractive enough now to make it almost worth it.

is being dead worth it?

Also why would you want to likely go fight in a war that you don't support? Aren't you going to be conflicted?

is being dead worth it?

Also why would you want to likely go fight in a war that you don't support? Aren't you going to be conflicted?
He'd certainly be "in conflict"... It is far more likely he'd survive with brain damage. That would be enough to get me to avoid it for no less than 100K or more.

***sigh***

is being dead worth it?

weak argument...there are more deaths on the highway than all wars combined...does this stop you gurus from driving?...think before you speak/write...:rolleyes:

There is a conflict in Iraq ? I thought we were just giving them democarcy ?

Damo I blame you for this response above. You are the kind sir (re: idiot) that said his one funny post out of a thousand almost makes it worth it. It does NOT make it worth it!

He'd certainly be "in conflict"... It is far more likely he'd survive with brain damage. That would be enough to get me to avoid it for no less than 100K or more.

Personally, I like my brain just how it is, and don’t consider it worth any amount of money. My father died after a massive brain aneurysm, but it took 8 months, so…no way. It’s worth no amount of money, none. It’s horrific.

Now, that’s not for everybody though. Let’s do the approx. math:

Darla’s brain – Priceless, I think that’s self-evident.

Damo’s brain – 100 grand, I’d put it there too.

Superfreak’s brain – 10 grand.

BB brain – 10 bucks, or, highest offer.

Meme’s brain – no brain wave activity registers. Excellent candidate.

Personally, I like my brain just how it is, and don’t consider it worth any amount of money. My father died after a massive brain aneurysm, but it took 8 months, so…no way. It’s worth no amount of money, none. It’s horrific.

LOL.

It's what it would take to get me to risk the massive gray matter hiding in this normal-sized skull. I'd be a translator if I joined and in the AF... The likelihood of me seeing any thing such as distasteful heat would be low.

Darlas brain =worthless..talks the game but has no fame!.. me me is hot...maybe priceless! Kiss damos ass all ya want hun...he is a playa...make no mistake about it!:cof1:

Like I said you dont touch the money you were loaned.

You stick it in the bank and pay the loan installments out of your paycheck.

When its all over you have the 30,000 still in the bank + the interest it incrued.

This actually explains a lot about desh's views on economics.

The signing bonuses are attractive. I've thought about it many times but ultimately I could make more money elsewhere and most of my friends in the military hate it.

One friend is in Korea right now and is so bored he actually wants to go to Iraq, so don't think that Iraq is the only potentially shitty deployment.

Back